Engine flame out

LCYCowboy

Hi guys,

I am having so much fun with the Mig, after a couple of months, I have now got it mostly figured.

I know how to avoid engine flameout by avoiding negative G or inverted flight, but there is one flameout that still confuses me.

Yesterday I was returning from a mission and needed to burn some fuel off before landing to reduce below maximum landing weight, so I thought I would descend slowly with afterburn on to burn fuel off quickly. However, as I approached Mach 1.5, the engine flamed out. There were no warning lights on prior to this and the engine N1 and temperature gauges were all okay.

I did a relight and tried again, once more the engine flamed out, and this time I couldn't relight it (and yes, I did keep my speed high enough on the relight attempt :-) )

I didn't get any noises to indicate a compressor stall, the only thing I can think of is that I was trying to fly too fast too low, but this didn't seem to give any kind of warning before it happened.

I can't say how much I'm loving this plane, thanks for any replies

Flameout occurs at around 1300kph or Mach 2.05 (whichever comes first) due to engine overspeed. There is no warning, you have to monitor your airspeed indicator. :)

If you want to burn fuel I suggest extending the air brakes while afterburner is engaged. You shouldn't reach critical speed in level flight with that configuration.

Edited by spiddx
  • Like 1

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

Good to know thank you.

And at what (more or less) altitude it can go faster than 1.1 mach?

| A-10C | MiG-21bis | Hawk T1.A | L-39 Albatros | F-5E | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | NTTR | CA | SU27 | M2000C | F-86F | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Mig 15 | Mig 19|

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

Hi, guys!

I'm having problems with the DCS mig-21 engine. I am using the simplified engine management, the engine still keeps flaming out. Any solutions for this problem? I know the mig-21 doesn't negative Gs. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

As long as you keep her within operational limitations (manual, p. 31-38 ) you should have no problems.

97wJC12.jpg

CO2BYRC.jpg

edit: are you flying in SP or MP? I'm not sure if servers can enforce simplified engine management off (would be logical imo).

Edited by grunf

Hi, guys!

I'm having problems with the DCS mig-21 engine. I am using the simplified engine management, the engine still keeps flaming out. Any solutions for this problem? I know the mig-21 doesn't negative Gs. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Try turning off Simplified Engine Management and see what happens.

I doubt most people use it.

Hi, grunf!

How do I log out of MP if I am in MP? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

You can't 'accidently' be in multiplayer mode if you start the game. To enter MP you have to click the Multiplayer tab on the main screen, then choose a server from the list and enter it => now you're in MP.

Anything else is automatically Singleplayer. :)

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

Yes we do see Your post, but since almost noone here uses simplified EM, we neither know nor care how it works. You didn't write when Your engine flames out anyway. Remember that although the engine can operate under negative G for a few seconds, it flames out almost immediately around zero G, so that's even more important to avoid.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Hi, guys!

Did you see my post saying I think the simplified engine management is bugged even in the single player of DCS World 2.0.4? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Just tried the simplified engine management, indeed it doesn't seem to do anything.

I'd suggest turning it off and learn how to avoid flameouts. And practice engine relight. I think it was the first MiG-21 procedure I've learned :D.

• 4 weeks later...