Still confused over the radio set

The radio in cockpit is I understand an HF one. Is that correct and if so why is it that we don't have the aerial from fuselage to empannage? If the radio modelled is in fact a VHF unit then it clearly doesn't require an aerial as the mast acts as antenna itself.

I am aware that VHF sets started coming through into service during the BoB of 1940 but the roll-out didn't happen accross all squadrons immediately. I would have thought that by the 1943/44 period all Spits would be using VHF radios but if anyone can shine light on this then please do.

Edited by Euan Emblin

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

Certainly won't be up to DCS normal standards of precision if they have the wrong kind of radio equipment for the Spitfire variant modelled.

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

.... personally I'd really prefer we had the option to use a normal UHF/VHF radio stack like we would in a civilian aircraft, these programmable channel things are all very historically authentic, but for the Love of God they are annoying and impractical when you want to change your destination or fly somewhere you didn't already program into your little old-school radio box.

Pilots didn't have the option to program their radios, they were pre-programmed with set channels and frequencies. The whole point of these WWII DCS aircraft is that they are faithful simulations of their historical counterparts taking part in the air war over Europe in the later part of WWII.

They are not supposed to be reproductions of airshow worthy old warbirds, despite the fact that clearly that's what has been modelled to a certain extent because they are available in tiny numbers.

RT control box operation in Mk.IX is modeled incorrect.

The actual procedure is OK for P-51 Mustang (same control box).

But not for Mk.IX, because this plane don't use remote PTT switch.

You should be able to click in the selector for use as PTT.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=179406

For one that looks at this plane as "FSX" plane, this kind of detail don't matter, but for ones that looks at historical counterpart of era planes, should be corrected.

Can anyone confirm that it is the wrong kind of radio for the era or that if HF is contemporaneous with the time period in question that we should have a wire aerial to go with it?

Interesting information about the PTT from Sokol1_br. So there should be an active Tx/Rx switch on the unit itself.

I would think the Mk.IX would have had a VHF set by 1944, which is the time period this module was designed for (Normandy map).

Also, the lack of wires between the stab tips and fuselage would indicate the later type of I.F.F. installed but there's no antenna under the right wing, and there's evidence of the insulators on the rear fuselage where the early I.F.F. wires would have been attached.

Can anyone confirm that it is the wrong kind of radio for the era or that if HF is contemporaneous with the time period in question that we should have a wire aerial to go with it?

Interesting information about the PTT from Sokol1_br. So there should be an active Tx/Rx switch on the unit itself.

It can definitely be confirmed that the TR 1143 was the standard R/T fit for Spitfires, starting in 1942: the exceptions were Spitfires that were given to the USSR and some other countries.

I think my confusion has been caused on reading the manaul. On page 87 one can read of the unit being described as an HF radio requiring an aerial attached from the fuselage behind the cockpit extending to the top of the rudder fin. This is the aerial that was removed by ED. The literature confirms that post 1940 only VHF and IFF were installed and so the aerial disappeared.

I think the answer is that TR 1143 is VHF and no aerial is required.