IR missiles RWR tone? How to detect them?

Hoggorm

Hi,

On various multiplayer missions, I've been shot down because I did not know that a (IR) missile was fired at me. In the A-10 one can easily hear all missiles being fired, but in the Su-27 I hear nothing before I'm hit.

Is the only rescue from this situation that I actually see the missile coming? Are there no other ways?

(Radar guided missiles are detected and heard of course)

• 3 months later...

if youre referring to A/G, I suggest a higher release with high angle and stay above NEZ (no escape zone), whereas A/A, God help us all...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

SU-27 does not have the Missile Launch Warning System the A-10C has. None of the other fighters except the Mirage has this, so you're going to have to get better at situational awareness and keeping your head out of your pit!

Either way, you have the best too for silent death against enemies, so learn to use that well (ETs)

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

BRRRT!  Car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd! 🙂

If it's an audible sound cue you're looking for... I use the sound of my neck popping and cracking as I frantically look around for heaters in the merge!

(Sucks to be old!) :pilotfly:

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Hi,

On various multiplayer missions, I've been shot down because I did not know that a (IR) missile was fired at me. In the A-10 one can easily hear all missiles being fired, but in the Su-27 I hear nothing before I'm hit.

Is the only rescue from this situation that I actually see the missile coming? Are there no other ways?

(Radar guided missiles are detected and heard of course)

As everyone else has mentioned, the Su-27 doesn't have a missile launch warning system so to detect incoming IR missiles you'll have to rely on Mk.1 eyeball.

That being said, with experience you'll be able to recognise when an enemy aircraft is entering the launch window for a heater and you'll be able to preemptively dispense flares to deny the enemy a successful heater launch. Providing you can see the enemy of course, so in a WVR situation maintaining visual lock is imperative.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Thank you for the very quick reply!

Like DarkFire mentioned, it's all about preemptive flare kicking. If you aren't sure when the other guy is going to fire, just start kicking as soon as you enter the merge, right until you guys pass each other. Hope it helps a bit.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

there was this guy on youtube that shot waterline missiles in the flanker, I wonder if we're able to pickup IR SAMs with EOT..

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.