Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50

Cyph3r

So between swaps, does windows still recognise each individual grip settings too?

Windows won't no, but you can create profiles for different grips with the VPC software!

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This "split" don't make much sense

My intention was not about increasing the max button count. My intention was how games will react if you change the grip. Wipe the config because the same stick has a differnt axis and button count? Crash? If you have two differnt devices, one for the base and one for the grip, you will not encounter these kind of problems. And if you use a standard usb connector for base and grip it would also be possible to use the grip without the base.

Swapping between the currently compatible grips (TM Warthog, TM Cougar, VPC MongoosT-50) is instantly detected, requiring no firmware updates. But of course due to the different button layouts will require a bit of tweaking in your sim.

How would this kind of "tweaking" look like in DCS if I for example use the T50 grip for the Mirage and the Warthog grip for the A10?

P.S. If these kind of questions results in my stick is going to be shipped last.... I have never ask them :music_whistling:

My intention was not about increasing the max button count. My intention was how games will react if you change the grip. Wipe the config because the same stick has a differnt axis and button count? Crash? If you have two differnt devices, one for the base and one for the grip, you will not encounter these kind of problems. And if you use a standard usb connector for base and grip it would also be possible to use the grip without the base.

How would this kind of "tweaking" look like in DCS if I for example use the T50 grip for the Mirage and the Warthog grip for the A10?

P.S. If these kind of questions results in my stick is going to be shipped last.... I have never ask them :music_whistling:

Swapping the grips wouldn't cause any sort of crashes or config wipes. It would just mean that if you had configured DCS for the MongoosT-50 grip, and then swapped to the Warthog grip, well everything would be fine - it's just that, obviously the Warthog grip has a different button layout so you might want to tweak your controls to account for this.

See here:

VPCButtonMap.jpg

Having a standard button config in DCS, and then creating button map profiles in the VPC software would mean that you could easily swap to your preferred button layout depending on the grip you're using, and as you say, you would only need to configure each grip profile for the planes you intend to use that grip with.

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

obviously the Warthog grip has a different button layout so you might want to tweak your controls to account for this.

just to get this right, will the stick look like this in the windows configuration?

VPC Base + Warthog grip = 2 axis + 23 Buttons

VPC Base + T50 grip = 3 axis + 22 Buttons

just to get this right, will the stick look like this in the windows configuration?

VPC Base + Warthog grip = 2 axis + 23 Buttons

VPC Base + T50 grip = 3 axis + 22 Buttons

Correct!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Other example of grip swap.

If this P-51 grip has the Shift Register (pre condition for any grip be compatible with TmW/Cougar, VirPil base) circuit wired to buttons in correct order - like in the drawing, nothing will change for game controls assignment when you swap for then.

P-51.jpgfree picture hostingcertificity.com

But if their grip maker just enumerate buttons as 1, 2, 3 you will need make changes in game controls assignments, or change the grip profile loaded in VirPil base EPROM - what is no possible in TmW base.

Edited by Sokol1_br

I've received my T-50 grip earlier today and had a couple of hours to play with it now, so here are my initial impressions:

- T-50 grip is an all plastic construction and is only around 1/3 weight of the WH grip.

- Lighter weight and slightly longer length of the grip translate in a slightly different axis travel feel when connected to the WH base. Not a by a lot, but I do feel that it is a bit different. The best way to describe it is to compare stock WH grip vs WH grip with a small extension; I think you gain a bit more precision. That said, difference is very small.

- Palm rest is a nice feature. You can really make grip fit your hand. That said, I wish VirPil included a lock of some sorts on the height adjustment wheel. As it is, rest feels flimsy and easy to put out of adjustment.

- Buttons. Night and day difference. VirPil is using OMRON switches - less resistance, travel and supposedly longer life. I much prefer these buttons over what Warthog has.

- Brake lever is actually an axis, but on WH it acts as a button. Very nice feature for all Russian planes fans. Lever is spring loaded and I think travel is a bit too long for a button and will need some time getting used to.

- Thumb button. For a long time TM user, it just doesn't feel right not to have my hat switch there. I'm sure I will get used to it, however I cannot help but to think of reasons why VirPil would put button there instead of a 5-way switch ala TM. It's such a comfortable position for a switch...

- WH connector is TIGHT. At first I thought that I did not align it properly, then I thought I would surely damage the threads. But in the end it all worked just fine.

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase. I would suggest VirPil take another look at the palm rest to make it feel more solid and perhaps consider releasing v2 grip with a thumb hat. Is it worth $163 plus shipping? Assuming T-50 base is solid, I definitely would recommend buying the whole joystick. As far as stand alone grip, if you have money to spend and want to customize your Warthog, sure - it is a high quality product and you will not be disappointed. If buttons on your WH grip bite the dust, definitely - last year I paid around $40 for thumb hat alone from the TM, so $160 for the full grip is not bad at all.

P.S. I used EMS shipping as I thought price was very reasonable and got the grip within 12 days of it being shipped. Majority of that was spent in customs, so with a bit more luck I think people here in US can get their hands on one within a week of shipping.

Edited by mx22
  • Like 2

mx, I've been a fan of the hat switch on the thumb position too. With the 2 hats on the top face, did you reassign those actions up top?

Edited by AegisFX

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

At the moment I'm mostly flying Mig-15 and F-5 - fairly unsophisticated planes, so I did not not change much (on F-5, I moved DM and DG modes to the two way switch on the side and left Dogfight/Resume button under the thumb).

P.S. VirPil does not have 2 axis on the hats; you must be thinking of the VKB grip.

You're right mx. I've confused the two more often than I'd like, and more often than either product deserves. With that said, I'd like to know your view of the extra trigger.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

New rule. No company can start selling flight gear and use initials starting with 'V'. My old brain cells get confused easily as well. :D

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

You're right mx. I've confused the two more often than I'd like, and more often than either product deserves. With that said, I'd like to know your view of the extra trigger.

Ergonomics wise, it is easy to reach for and flip in either up or down position. It's 'clickable' only in it's lowered position though - kind of perfect for a safety switch and that's what I'm using it for in the Bf109 and Mig-15 (possibly could have been better with an auto click when lowered, but I also see how it would have been limiting if used for anything else other than safety). Perhaps a missile launch button, but I'm used to having it on the front of the stick...

Edited by mx22

I've received my T-50 grip earlier today and had a couple of hours to play with it now, so here are my initial impressions:

- T-50 grip is an all plastic construction and is only around 1/3 weight of the WH grip.

- Lighter weight and slightly longer length of the grip translate in a slightly different axis travel feel when connected to the WH base. Not a by a lot, but I do feel that it is a bit different. The best way to describe it is to compare stock WH grip vs WH grip with a small extension; I think you gain a bit more precision. That said, difference is very small.

- Palm rest is a nice feature. You can really make grip fit your hand. That said, I wish VirPil included a lock of some sorts on the height adjustment wheel. As it is, rest feels flimsy and easy to put out of adjustment.

- Buttons. Night and day difference. VirPil is using OMRON switches - less resistance, travel and supposedly longer life. I much prefer these buttons over what Warthog has.

- Brake lever is actually an axis, but on WH it acts as a button. Very nice feature for all Russian planes fans. Lever is spring loaded and I think travel is a bit too long for a button and will need some time getting used to.

- Thumb button. For a long time TM user, it just doesn't feel right not to have my hat switch there. I'm sure I will get used to it, however I cannot help but to think of reasons why VirPil would put button there instead of a 5-way switch ala TM. It's such a comfortable position for a switch...

- WH connector is TIGHT. At first I thought that I did not align it properly, then I thought I would surely damage the threads. But in the end it all worked just fine.

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase. I would suggest VirPil take another look at the palm rest to make it feel more solid and perhaps consider releasing v2 grip with a thumb hat. Is it worth $163 plus shipping? Assuming T-50 base is solid, I definitely would recommend buying the whole joystick. As far as stand alone grip, if you have money to spend and want to customize your Warthog, sure - it is a high quality product and you will not be disappointed. If buttons on your WH grip bite the dust, definitely - last year I paid around $40 for thumb hat alone from the TM, so $160 for the full grip is not bad at all.

P.S. I used EMS shipping as I thought price was very reasonable and got the grip within 12 days of it being shipped. Majority of that was spent in customs, so with a bit more luck I think people here in US can get their hands on one within a week of shipping.

mx,

How did you get the plug to seat in the 'Hog base? Like you said, it is TIGHT! I can't get it to seat all the way. Any tips?

Thanx

mx,

How did you get the plug to seat in the 'Hog base? Like you said, it is TIGHT! I can't get it to seat all the way. Any tips?

Thanx

Vaseline might be of help

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Check Six!!!_:gun_sniper:_:pilotfly:

||R7-2700X||ASUS ROG STRIX-X470F Gaming||GSKILL-TridentZRGB 16GBDDR4 3200C14||CORSAIR RM 1000X||SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX 24GB OC||WARTHOG HOTAS||:gun_smilie:

mx,

Thanx

You need to make sure you screw it in all the way. It will feel loose until almost the very end and then tighten up. You can lubricate it as suggested above (not sure if I would use Vaseline for that though, perhaps something out of Home Depot), but would still need to make sure you are tightening it to the very end.

P.S. Have you tried Warthog with any extensions before at all? I find that even small extension tremendously increases accuracy.

You need to make sure you screw it in all the way. It will feel loose until almost the very end and then tighten up. You can lubricate it as suggested above (not sure if I would use Vaseline for that though, perhaps something out of Home Depot), but would still need to make sure you are tightening it to the very end.

P.S. Have you tried Warthog with any extensions before at all? I find that even small extension tremendously increases accuracy.

The 5 pin plug won't seat enough. I can get about 2 threads worth of turn on the screw connector. Obviously, I'm wary of damaging either component.

Does that sound like what you encountered?

P.S. I've never used an extension with my 'Hog. Never saw the need in my Obutto setup.

Is it possible to solder new button connections to the shift register inside? I know the controller can see more buttons, but how easy would it be to add more buttons to the stick? I'm thinking of an upgrade to thumb button (to a hat with button).

The 5 pin plug won't seat enough. I can get about 2 threads worth of turn on the screw connector. Obviously, I'm wary of damaging either component.

Does that sound like what you encountered?

P.S. I've never used an extension with my 'Hog. Never saw the need in my Obutto setup.

Strange, the plug/wiring on my can go inside of the stick (ie there is some slack, connector is not physically attached to the grip). I'll try to make a picture when I get home later on.

I much prefer Warthog in the middle than to the side - I think base is just too stiff for side positioning (but that's just my take on it).

Yup, my connector is not hard mounted to the Mongose, there's about 3/4" of slack. I just can't get the damn thing to seat properly in the Warthog base.

When you say 'seat properly' what do you mean? As I mentioned, it won't 'happily' screw in - the original and extensions I have, all easily go and slide on top of the base until they are tight - here, you'll need to apply some force/pressure every turn and keep at it until it's all the way in.

Perhaps Cyph3r can pitch in?

Edited by mx22

The 5 pin plug from the Mongoose doesn't seat into the socket on the Warthog base. I can only get it in approximately half way, no more. I can't tell if maybe a pin is bent, or more likely, the outside shroud is too small in diameter.

Sorted. With quite a bit of force, I simply seated it and screwed down the locking collar. Viola, working in game controller settings. Although it didn't mount easily, I do like that it is plug-n-play. No messing with configuration software.

Thanks a bunch for your help, mx!

<s> bo

Sorted. With quite a bit of force, I simply seated it and screwed down the locking collar. Viola, working in game controller settings. Although it didn't mount easily, I do like that it is plug-n-play. No messing with configuration software.

Thanks a bunch for your help, mx!

<s> bo

Tight fits like that happen from time to time, when the tolerances on 2 mating parts converge where the female component is at 'least material condition' (LMC) while the male component is at 'maximum material condition' (MMC). Still, it's a scary leap to figure out if that's the problem of if you are doing damage trying to mash a square peg through a round hole... :p glad to see you got it sorted and that people are happy with their grips.

gogogo VPC!

• Like 1

Yup, was awfully worried I'd either break the 'Hog gimbal or the Mongoose by forcing it. I made sure I held the gimbal with pliers to isolate any torque. Hopefully, others see thread and it helps them when mounting the Mongoose. So far, well worth the price!