Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50

Cyph3r

Realistic is a bit of a miss as our sticks dont work in a realistic way. Now I use the medium spring and the 2 dot soft center cam its pretty much good for everything and this is how they now ship . I do use a rather long 30cm extension. The center force can be adjusted on the fly, I have it set so its enough to just center the stick if I relax my grip so the Aircraft will track once trimmed. For Helo flying it is soft enough not to upset a transition through center.

WW2 I use the same settings , for me fixed wing is fixed wing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never use a FHC conical head screw for attaching a circuit board or anything else not prepared for that kind of head. Seriously that looks so amateurish :doh:

And please use a proper tool for chamfering holes, they're looking butchered by a loose drill bit.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

So I've just had my replacement cams and I'm ready to give some feedback. I'll start with the negative so that I can end on a positive.

The replacement cams arrived today and sadly they are still a major disappointment. It seems the factory's idea of polishing leaves a lot to be desired.

b6bT5lE.jpg

IBeiRlv.jpg

plNRfDa.jpg

It looks like someone was in a rush and only touched the wheel to one part of the cam. These are the 4 dot cams, but the other cams aren't much different. The 1 dot cams for example are "polished"; at either end but not in the middle. On the bright side though the cams actually fit quite easily this time, so at least that works.

After installing the cams I tested them out and found them to be rough and very noisy again. So I decided to try polishing them myself, I started with 400 grit paper and then went to 1200 grit and the difference is obvious:

ROCZAuz.jpg

XjKSEKk.jpg

S7IFbDK.jpg

However sadly polishing the cams only helped highlight bad machining (albeit slightly less noticeable that on the original cams); whatever is being used to cut out the cams is possibly trying to cut too fast or at too low RPM, either way it's creating a bumpy surface (seen above) and gouging out the material (see below). I also noticed that the cam surface has a slight bevel to it.

BENphLE.jpg

Polishing them seemed to get rid of most of the problems; almost all of the noise is gone and they are pretty smooth now, some lithium grease also helped; however I did notice when reassembling them, that the original rough cams had done some minor wear to the roller bearing surface, which was disappointing. If anyone is still using theirs with the original cams, I suggest you stop until properly finished replacements arrive.

Sadly as a result of having to polish the cams myself, the stick leans very slightly left and back (I don't exactly have machine precision), so I'll have to try polishing them again until the center is correct.

So far this debacle with the cams has been a very bad experience that's left me very disappointed.

On to the positives though, everything else is pretty great.

I like the stick, it feels comfortable and very professionally made. I would like to see some sort of flange on the pin connector at the base though since I don't like pulling things out by their wires. Also I'd like to know if there is a software to calibrate the stick? Windows calibration tool works fine up until you try to calibrate the Z axis. Since actuating the Z axis also activates a button simultaneously, it ends that calibration procedure before you can fully calibrate the axis, leading to weird results.

My favorite thing or things however are the mounts which are amazing. Seeing how sturdy they were in a video is one of the things that tipped the balance for me in favour of virpil over vkb (the other was it being plug and play with my warthog grip). Actually having them in person has impressed me even more and I would suggest to anyone looking for mounting options, even if they aren't interested in a VPC stick, to go with the VPC mounts. I have 2, one for the stick and one for my WH throttle. They are relatively easy to put together although they do need a spanner and set of hex keys. Once everything is put together and in place, clamped to the desk, they are rock solid with very little flex.

Interestingly, the mounting plate for the warthog throttle can be used by either bolting the warthog directly on top with provided nuts and bolts or, as I have done, completely replace the base plate of the throttle (although it should be noted that the head of one of the screws is slightly obstructed by the mounting bracket, which must be attached to the plate first before mounting the throttle).

An idea people might like to consider with them (assuming you have 2 or more) is to connect them with M8 threaded bars. Having done this, what little flex there is disappears completely and they become even quicker to mount to your desk.

bLi61Rp.jpg

W0IYn8H.jpg

I will definitely be buying another mount and using it as a mouse mat on my right. At some point I also plan to use the threaded bar to mount TM MFDs and maybe some button panels. It might start getting a bit heavy at that point though, so I'm also considering adding a "leg" or several to help with maneuvering it onto the desk edge while taking some of the weight and perhaps allow a standoff to help position my pedals correctly.

In summary:

The cams are still a huge disappointment.

The stick is pretty good.

The desk mounts are AMAZING!

• Like 1

Still waiting on my replacement cams here, so looking forward to putting the soft center cams in. If mine arrive like that as well, I am not going to be happy with that...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

plNRfDa.jpg

These parts are laser cut. You'll need a powered grit wheel to get rid of the surface imperfections, at the risk to alter the curvature too much.

I'm now totally skeptical of the ability of Virpil to perform decent work. Chinese crap is unreliable and weak, but it at least their products look like well done in appearance. Virpil clearly doesn't care about anything in their product manufacture, and totally lacks of customer respect with such obviously bad execution (may I say sabotage ?). No wonder there were faults to correct at the beginning, I can't imagine how borked the first faulty batch was :music_whistling:

Virpil, you don't want the market to kill you so soon ? you know, the International market, not the little local cheesy one you're used to.

I ordered nothing yet so I personally don't need excuses. I may change my mind in the future if Virpil manages to survive and get in line with quality expectations. I feel bad for such promising line-up to be a failure.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

In summary:

The cams are still a huge disappointment.

The stick is pretty good.

The desk mounts are AMAZING!

Hi 98abile,

Yes I would agree that those cams are not acceptable and I'm not expecting you to stick with them. Can you send me an email to sale@virpil.com with your order number and a note about this, I will get you another set sent out right away. I'm also looking into the issue with the team.

I'm glad you're happy with everything else so far though! We'll get this cams issue sorted don't worry. :thumbup:

I want to emphasise to everyone that if you're not happy with anything regarding your VPC products, including your cams, replacement cams etc, email me and we'll get it sorted! We will not leave anyone unhappy with their order!

Edited by Cyph3r

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

New cams (although not sparkly and shiny) fitted, really pleased, gobsmacked at performance improvement. Look forward to feedback from other actual product purchasers with new cams - hoping they see similar improvements!

Still waiting on my new cams, they show in New York however I live in Florida and we are about to be hit with this hurricane so I doubt there will be any deliveries here for a few days or so.

I am enjoying the stick but really looking forward to changing out both the cams and the springs to make it even better.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

New cams (although not sparkly and shiny) fitted, really pleased, gobsmacked at performance improvement. Look forward to feedback from other actual product purchasers with new cams - hoping they see similar improvements!

Excellent! Really glad to hear the new cams are working well :thumbsup:

Hey guys anyone know how to get the Brake axis working??

Send me an email over to support@virpil.com and I can help get you sorted :)

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey guys anyone know how to get the Brake axis working??

I had the same problem, and I have contacted VIRPIL support to have it fixed.

During a Skype session, the engineer took control of my PC via TeamViewer (software is free for personal use, you should install it before the call).

He sent me some tools via Skype file transfer, which he then used on my PC to fix the problem.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Still waiting on my new cams, they show in New York however I live in Florida and we are about to be hit with this hurricane so I doubt there will be any deliveries here for a few days or so.

I am enjoying the stick but really looking forward to changing out both the cams and the springs to make it even better.

Hope they arrive soon for you, but I guess you have more important things on your mind at this moment, stay safe!

Hope they arrive soon for you, but I guess you have more important things on your mind at this moment, stay safe!

Many thanks!

Yeah this thing is about to get very real for us here in about 12 hours or so. I have a feeling will be losing power maybe for a few days.

Hopefully before too long things will get back to normal and my cams will arrive and can get to some serious flying once again.

Don B

Jörgen “Troll” Toll has just shared his review of the VPC MongoosT-50 Flightstick over at Mudspike, check it out!

Feature.jpg

http://www.mudspike.com/vpc-mongoos-t-50-review/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had the remote fix today as I messed up my Stick with a windows calibration. The engineer told me that the software was gonna be released very soon. The brake lever sure does make the L39 easy to taxy, compared to the button brake.

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I had the remote fix today as I messed up my Stick with a windows calibration. The engineer told me that the software was gonna be released very soon. The brake lever sure does make the L39 easy to taxy, compared to the button brake.

For everyone interested in properly callibrating before the software is out: Just use diview.exe.

You can have it show your RAW values and then properly callibrate by hand.

For everyone interested in properly callibrating before the software is out: Just use diview.exe.

You can have it show your RAW values and then properly callibrate by hand.

And the Spit!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Use of the Flip Switch?

I understand the T-50 is a replica of the T-50 (future Su-57) fighter. And I suppose the original also has this flip switch. Correct?

What is this switch used for in the original?

To be honest, I had hoped it could be used like a safety cover, but unfortunately there is no switch action when you flip it up.

LeCuvier

I understand the T-50 is a replica of the T-50 (future Su-57) fighter. And I suppose the original also has this flip switch. Correct?

Correct!

Fire! :gun_rifle:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Correct!

Fire! :gun_rifle:

And what is the red Fire button (stage 1 and 2) used for?

LeCuvier

And what is the red Fire button (stage 1 and 2) used for?

The real life controls doesn't feature a dual stage main trigger, but it is used to disable AP.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To be honest, I had hoped it could be used like a safety cover, but unfortunately there is no switch action when you flip it up.

I "sell" this idea for VKB, add a action when switch (foldable trigger) flip up, so match the "safety action" in DCS Ka-50, Bf 109, Mig-15, Spit. ;)

Focus in make "like the real" is not always good, because in games the actions happens in different way. E.g. real pilots don't need press buttons for "zoom FOV" or "center TrackIR".

Edited by Sokol1_br

Well they apparently tried to deliver replacement cams today, unfortunately sent them with " signature required" and I was not home. Ugh, I so wish they would not do this!

Don B

Well they apparently tried to deliver replacement cams today, unfortunately sent them with " signature required" and I was not home. Ugh, I so wish they would not do this!

Hi Don, I believe that's down to your local courier which takes over the delivery after it passes through your country's import office. I know some users reported not being available but the delivery was still made. Hope you get your hands on them soon!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]