Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50

Cyph3r

Quick question for the T50 Base, do you need any Virpil software or drivers, or is it just plug and play?

Pretty much plug and play. The software is a very lite version, mainly for being able to calibrate the stick properly so I would get it just for that. And updating firmware of course.

Do not under any condition try to calibrate the stick in Windows.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a couple of months back when Virpil stated they had changed the thread locking compound to one with less grip. Still, I agree that maybe the screws need to be changed also. I have one of the early ones and have not had the courage to try and change the cams, at least not yet.

This has been a big bone of contention with this great stick base. IMHO about the only real flaw in design. As some may recall, I ruined my first gimbal from Virpil trying to get a dang cam screw out. My second one, I refuse to even try. But I got it with the soft cams already installed and that was the feel I was looking for anyway. They did a fantastic job with the spring assembly design and ease of removing and replacing the springs.

Not sure what the answer might be, maybe hex head screws with locking washers, or even a different cam part design that accommodates a better method of installing and removing.

Cams should not be that difficult to replace on a stick as high quality as this.

And there are some cams folks are receiving (me included) that are not totally smooth and polished, giving a feel of roughness as the stick is moved throughout it's range of travel. Does not affect really the flying, but it certainly can be felt and should not be, should be smooth as can be.

They did send me replacement cams for my rough ones, but again I am not going to go in there and try to replace them because of all the trouble I had before with my original gimbal.

To be clear I love my Virpil setup and have a ton of hours now in with it and continue to recommend it, I just urge caution to anyone looking to change out cams in it. Be very cautious and careful.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm worried I may run into issues when I get the warBRD. I know that I will have to use the stronger springs once I get it because I will be switching back and forth between t50 grip and warthog grip.

I just hope it's not difficult to change them out on my own. Knowing how long I've been waiting I'd hate to damage it in the process and be stuck. This would be my first stick that's this customizable as I've been flying with the warthog.

Also hoping there is documentation to go with the warBRD base. I've seen nothing on the website or their forums.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I'm worried I may run into issues when I get the warBRD. I know that I will have to use the stronger springs once I get it because I will be switching back and forth between t50 grip and warthog grip.

I just hope it's not difficult to change them out on my own. Knowing how long I've been waiting I'd hate to damage it in the process and be stuck. This would be my first stick that's this customizable as I've been flying with the warthog.

Also hoping there is documentation to go with the warBRD base. I've seen nothing on the website or their forums.

WarBRD is totally a different gimbal design, hopefully it is better in that department.

Don B

This has been a big bone of contention with this great stick base. IMHO about the only real flaw in design. As some may recall, I ruined my first gimbal from Virpil trying to get a dang cam screw out. My second one, I refuse to even try. But I got it with the soft cams already installed and that was the feel I was looking for anyway. They did a fantastic job with the spring assembly design and ease of removing and replacing the springs.

Not sure what the answer might be, maybe hex head screws with locking washers, or even a different cam part design that accommodates a better method of installing and removing.

Cams should not be that difficult to replace on a stick as high quality as this.

And there are some cams folks are receiving (me included) that are not totally smooth and polished, giving a feel of roughness as the stick is moved throughout it's range of travel. Does not affect really the flying, but it certainly can be felt and should not be, should be smooth as can be.

They did send me replacement cams for my rough ones, but again I am not going to go in there and try to replace them because of all the trouble I had before with my original gimbal.

To be clear I love my Virpil setup and have a ton of hours now in with it and continue to recommend it, I just urge caution to anyone looking to change out cams in it. Be very cautious and careful.

My order status changed to "Sent" yesterday, so I am assuming this means my T50 base is en route to me here in the States. What you've mentioned above are my two biggest worries:

1. That I will receive rough cams and need to request replacements
  2. That I will want to try the other cams and I will need to risk screwing the entire base up due to the low quality screws used

I am hoping that I will be able to avoid any issues, and I hope that my unit was built using the new locking spray. I will keep an eye on this thread for anyone to be able to suggest what a suitable replacement screw would be for the stock ones so that I can ensure no issues in the future.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

My order status changed to "Sent" yesterday, so I am assuming this means my T50 base is en route to me here in the States. What you've mentioned above are my two biggest worries:

1. That I will receive rough cams and need to request replacements
  2. That I will want to try the other cams and I will need to risk screwing the entire base up due to the low quality screws used

I am hoping that I will be able to avoid any issues, and I hope that my unit was built using the new locking spray. I will keep an eye on this thread for anyone to be able to suggest what a suitable replacement screw would be for the stock ones so that I can ensure no issues in the future.

Hopefully you won't. While I can feel the roughness in my cams when just moving the stick around and not flying, once I am flying I really do not even notice it. Perhaps they have resolved even sending out cams with that roughness which would be great.

If you do decide to try a different cam, just be careful not to strip the screw as it strips easily from my experience. I think I remember them saying they went with stronger screws but I really do not know for sure.

I believe Cyph3r mentioned once that heating the screw first with small soldering iron may help, if you do just be very careful with what you heat.

Try not to be too concerned, hopefully you will have absolutely no issue and trust me the stick is truly great.

Don B

Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50

Hi to everyone.

I was reading this thread and I have to say this: I got from Virpil my T50 with the base and I don’t need to change the cams, the joystick works perfectly with the factory installed cams, they are great simulating the force feedback. This is a matter of personal preference (helicopter sim), I know that but why are you worring about the cams or screw without trying the T-50?

The same happened to me with a Dewalt circular saw, all the people complain about why this saw came with one and not two clamp. I bought this circular saw with an extra clamps. I never need the feel to use the two clamps, I use only one, so I made an enema for me with the extra clamp.

It’s true all about the Phillips screw, it would be better to use Allen or torx screws if the idea was “if the user need to change the parts let’s made this process “fool proof”.

So many factor beside the “not clever idea to use Phillips screws” can ruin this process like a “I don’t know what I’m doing DIY guy”, wrong size screw driver, etc.

Give it a try first then you can worry.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

Edited by arturojgt

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

Perfect, I’ll be using that method to mount mine on my WSP as well until I get the tub for my cockpit built. Very simple, I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, me too! Very timely as I just got notice yesterday that my T-50 base has shipped.

You can be afraid to damage your gimbal assembly, but really what is the worst that could happen? If you strip the head of the screw, you leave that cam in place and just use it as is or you find someone that you trust who knows how to remove a stuck fastener.

As a precautionary measure, you can heat the screw head with a soldering iron to soften up the thread locking compound. The electronics are wired neatly and can be easily avoided so that you never overheat anything important (but you may risk voiding your warranty if you take my advice). If you choose this route do it before you strip the head of the screw.

One last data point for those keeping track. The cams I received were all extremely smooth on the surface that interacts with the bearing. Precision grinding and/or hand sanding and polishing could get them smoother, but you would probably never notice a real difference in performance.

Remind me, which cams come stock again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Hi,

Hopefully someone here can educate me.

I pre-ordered a Warbird Base and VPC confirmed the order via email on 7-17-18. I read from VPC that these bases should become available and begin shipping during the week of 7-16-18. I was curious and tried to check the status of my order today and noticed that the availability of the Warbird Base is listed as "Out of Stock" on VPC-Controls.

I was wondering if anyone here has seen a shipment notice for the

Warbird of may have any info on the status of orders at this poiont.

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3rd Mar Div

RVN '66-'67

Hi,

I pre-ordered a Warbird Base and VPC confirmed the order via email on 7-17-18. I read from VPC that these bases should become available and begin shipping during the week of 7-16-18. I was curious and tried to check the status of my order today and noticed that the availability of the Warbird Base is listed as "Out of Stock" on VPC-Controls.

Thanks

I ordered on April 20th and my order status just says confirmed. No news yet of when shipments will occur although my buddy ordered the t50 stick with original base on 6-27 and he received it yesterday. But he also had them cancel the order and confirmed it was cancelled yet it still showed up at his door.

He ended up sending it back because he found 2 T-50 sticks on eBay, left and right handed ones and ordered those.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Hi,

Thanks

The did not ship any pre-orders. They still have pre-orders from mid-April to fulfill. Nobody has any concrete information regarding shipping dates of pre-orders.

Edited by mdee

• 2 weeks later...

VPC Support Experience

I had screwed up my T-50 joystick when I tried to re-calibrate it. It was not usable any more. Reason: I did not follow the documentation step by step. The software is not intuitive, so you really have to follow the documentation.

I wrote to the VPC support and they fixed the problem on-line using TeamViewer.

Once we were connected, the "surgery" took about 10 minutes.

If you ever need to use VPC support it's a good idea to install the (free) TeamViewr client software beforehand.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...
So another week and a bit passed, no parcels, no update about where they are and no promised connection via Teamviewer. It's nice for those who can use the device :cry:

Update on the situation, after finally connecting via teamviewer and verifying that I wasn't doing anything stupid as well as having made several of my own cables it seems I've had a dud device. I had to send it back under warranty and their policy is to repair the old units rather than send new ones (which is understandable for a small business). The downside of this is that its been 6 months since I actually ordered the device and sadly i've never been able to use it.

I might be prepared to break another Thrustmaster gimball again :joystick: for this kind of wait but they say "good things come to those who wait"

Update on the situation, after finally connecting via teamviewer and verifying that I wasn't doing anything stupid as well as having made several of my own cables it seems I've had a dud device. I had to send it back under warranty and their policy is to repair the old units rather than send new ones (which is understandable for a small business). The downside of this is that its been 6 months since I actually ordered the device and sadly i've never been able to use it.

I might be prepared to break another Thrustmaster gimball again :joystick: for this kind of wait but they say "good things come to those who wait"

Yikes that is a heck of a long time to have to wait for a working device.

Don B

Don't tell me.. I have opened a ticket for a vibration issue on May 12 in my Base (bought in October 2017), ended up having to ship it back (stripped one cam screw no matter the soldering iron) and I'm still waiting. That's 89 days today, 3 months basically.

I understand they prefer to repair and ship back but damn, patience is quickly running out. Can they just send a replacement back (maybe with a different or temporary firmware and then replace it once they received the faulty product, so no one can abuse) when they have the tracking number or the damaged/defective product?

I have preordered the throttle as well but who cares about it when I have no stick?

Another problem is that CS just says "don't worry, it's the support queue", without giving any ETA. How long this queue is?

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

Don't tell me.. I have opened a ticket for a vibration issue on May 12 in my Base (bought in October 2017), ended up having to ship it back (stripped one cam screw no matter the soldering iron) and I'm still waiting. That's 89 days today, 3 months basically.

That is crazy...

Don B

I really want to purchase one of these, but for the issues with lack of availability and support as described above... It's a shame, I'd love to see a company like this do well - but they seem to screw it up for themselves - both Virpil AND VKB with monotonous regularity!

I have dealt with VIRPIL on several occasions for support. One software and 1 hardware... I am an experienced Simmer on both the hardware and software...

I cannot fault at all the responses I received from VIRPIL regarding equipment issues either in EMail support response or hardware replacement.

On the hardware front a replacement sensor PCB was received after 2 weeks and this was only about 6 weeks ago in their busy period. This is same response time frame as Thrustmaster where I have had on 2 separate occasions, a main PCB and switch block and PCB replacements sent.

VIRPIL EMail support response has been 2-3 days, the same that I received from Thrustmaster.

Some complex issues have been posted in this thread regarding various problems and obviously this thread is not the place for VIRPIL to individually respond to what is posted. I mention this and my experiences with VIRPIL for perhaps the benefit of others who may be reading.

Sure, I have a Throttle on order and I am a bit fed up with the shifting dispatch dates but not overly so. Its a new small niche company and has to balance manufacture with investment... they just got their sums wrong and have been doing everything to keep us informed..... It was the same for crosswinds pedals with 3-4 months waiting etc...

Give them some slack or ask for your money back or invoke whatever legislation or credit card guarantees you have.

In my view if the throttle function is anywhere near as good as the T50 stick & base, it'll be worth it..

Re TMWH stick and throttle, I've 2 sets and used them for years. Despite what some may say, they too are a great product. I've never had a stiction issue with either of the gimbals but they are not close to VIRPIL's Base in sensitivity and function.

SIGBLOCK.png

I had the same sensors problem a couple weeks after receiving the base. It took a couple days to speak with their engineer, a week for the delivery. Honestly impressive. They are great dealing with software and minor things but if you have to ship your hardware back.. well, good luck.

My throttle has just been shipped though. I didn't care much about the delays, I expected them because they are expanding a lot quicker than it's safe to do.

So, now I have two desk mounts, a grip and a throttle. I doubt I will even unpack it..

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

• 2 weeks later...