Which WW2 module is the easiest to learn  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Which WW2 module is the easiest to learn

• Bf 109-K
    • Fw 190-D
    • P-51D
    • Spitfire Mk 9

I don't own a real wwII bird either.

I do however own a couple of 50 cc model aircraft that resemble World War II birds that are a blast to fly RC

They have air retracts and everything.

i've only recently started flying DCS enjoyed it very much I want to try and get my father to try it. He's almost 80 years old he told me "no friggen way, there's no way."

Trying to expand the DCS community and it's flyers is a good thing .

Edited by Hermit713
We love all

Having just flown the spitfire for the first time last night I would have to say that once you get the takeoff and landing down it is by far the easiest of them all to jump in and start getting kills. The cannons seem to pretty much always do serious damage to the enemy and for a beginner I would say the spitfire style of fighting is probably the easiest to pick up. Acceleration and top speed where much better than I had expected, close to on par with the 109 and acceleration is far better than the 190 or P51. I could see however how it would spoil you and you would not learn the more fine details of energy fighting. One thing though, it is easy to bleed speed down so you do have to watch that.

Have them all. Have to go with the P51D.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

BNZ? I Have heard the term a few times, I am guessing it's the divebombing type technique with German planes ?

Boom and zoom. It is an air combat tactic where you start with an altitude advantage over an enemy aircraft and dive down to attack. The energy gained in the dive can be use to regain altitude and a safe distance from the enemy after the attack.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I don't own a real wwII bird either.

I do however own a couple of 50 cc model aircraft that resemble World War II birds that are a blast to fly RC

They have air retracts and everything.

i've only recently started flying DCS enjoyed it very much I want to try and get my father to try it. He's almost 80 years old he told me "no friggen way, there's no way."

Trying to expand the DCS community and it's flyers is a good thing .

My dad turns 90 in 15 days and he flew the P-51 in VR on my Motion Sim last week. :thumbup:

He was ground crew just after WWII mostly on P-47's. He was later a Flight Engineer in mostly B25's, but also flew in the C-45, A-20, PBY Catalina.

We have the control column from the C-45 hanging on our living room wall, it met it's demise by catching the landing gear on the fence at the end of the runway on takeoff after an engine went out.... with my Dad in the co-pilot's seat!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

Photographic evidence of content of previous post.

You can kinda see there's also a prop from a Stearman up there that he ground looped when he was earning his pilots license. Supposedly has a tiny crack somewhere but he could never find it.

The thing hanging from the column by the way is his throat mic from his flight engineer days.

20170114_172920.jpg

@FrazMann He was very impressed and loved it. He'll be flying once in a while. I wanted to get a cheap used flight yoke and buy the B-25 for FSX/P3D and have him fly that for his birthday but my finances are borked this month due to unexpected expenses cropping up.

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

My dad turns 90 in 15 days and he flew the P-51 in VR on my Motion Sim last week. :thumbup:

He was ground crew just after WWII mostly on P-47's. He was later a Flight Engineer in mostly B25's, but also flew in the C-45, A-20, PBY Catalina.

We have the control column from the C-45 hanging on our living room wall, it met it's demise by catching the landing gear on the fence at the end of the runway on takeoff after an engine went out.... with my Dad in the co-pilot's seat!

That's great to hear.

we don't have too many of those guys left anymore (that have actually been around the airplanes of World War II). let alone men that have been in World War II.

I hope he lives the best life he is able to live to the very end!

• 2 years later...

I'd say the Fw190 D9 is the easiest as it has a lot of automation and a well laid out cockpit. Compared to the modern stuff theres a lot less to learn in terms of systems, but the flying is quite a bit more difficult, especially the bit where you're on a runway, no matter if you came from the air or a taxi way. Also have to keep in mind that the german birds arent that great in a turn fight, so theres some stuff to learn too.

P-51D is the easiest. I voted this one because it is pretty stable on takeoff / landing, has good trimming abilities, and can keep up with German warbirds in dogfights.

Spitfire is amazing at handling, ok trim ability but it is slow. So if you are up against most German warbirds they will pull away every time you line up a shot making all your shots long range which means leading shots so far below the nose your always guessing. Haven't tested against the new A-8, guessing though it is a better matchup.

German warbirds are the better challenge handling wise. You need to be good at rudder use. Can't remember fully, but I think it was the 109 that had wheels close together which makes it a bit unstable on takeoff and landing, so learning to TO / Land the other warbirds first would be less frustrating.

edit: I should have looked before posting. The original post was from 2017 lol.

Edited by Kazius