The AI "vertical scissors"

Anyone else extremely aggravated by the AI's tendency to go vertical, over and over? Every dogfight seems to degenerate into AI going straight up, then I can't follow without frying the engine so I try to keep my speed up and catch him on his way down, but he seems to suddenly regain energy and go straight back up again.

Is this a valid tactic? It seems to me if it were this easy to shake a Spitfire, it wouldn't be the legendary aircraft it is today.

I know it is a combination of the AI being on a simpler flight model, and I think the damage modelling of the Merlin may be a bit over-exaggerated as well... But C'mon, really?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Yes the 190 especially is one for this manoeuvre, they need to work on the AI especially if we are going to have AI bombers ;)

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Try something more fluid with your practice.Maintain spitfire at maximum continuous RPM and boost(2650 and 9)never exceed.

Now follow the AI you want to shot down and make it with in mind that when speed is close to stall you might be in the damage zone of radiators.Check out your speed and keep it always above 120 miles/h better if 140.

Make your flight like a dance around the AI as they do,and wait for the moment where their speed slow down when a climb up.Be patient.

The spitfire is a very nimble plane,and easy to turn more fast than other aircraft.

The tactic of AI is named "Boom and Zoom"that was employed by German pilot WW2.

This tactic was implemented in IL2 and tranfered to DCS.

Maybe in future something will be changed but i will surprised of it.

However it's not a big deal,just have some practice with more soft piloting.

Have a good game:)

The problem is the AI zooms much too well ... probably because it can never stall. So you get into a tangle with it, and you're at the same energy level. You get the AI to overshoot and see him pulling out in front of your guns. However, the AI responds by just going up and somehow you can't follow.

Now normally this would be a terrible tactic to use after overshooting in a co-E fight, don't do this on a public server unless you have a large energy advantage. Why? Well because you can't zoom like that, you'll just stall out in front of the other person's guns and they'll fill you full of holes. However, when the AI does it, it cheats and so it works okay for it.

It's actually really annoying. So many times I have won the scissors against an AI when the AI is in a superior turning plane (it's not easy but it is possible). I'm ready to take my shot, and it goes and pulls that nonsense. You simply can't follow it, and so he gets to turn in the vertical back round onto your tail again ... for yet more scissors practice.

The absolute hardest is trying to dogfight the P-51 AI co-E in the 190 (I've not tried against the Spitfire yet). The AI pulls this "magic zoom" trick all the time, and the P-51 turns better than the 190 as well. When you can win that match up, every time, against the strongest AI. Well then you're skills are getting pretty good in my book.

Edited by Tomsk

Try something more fluid with your practice.Maintain spitfire at maximum continuous RPM and boost(2650 and 9)never exceed.

3000RPM in combat - boost IDLE to 18 as required.

At 2650 you get no benefit of high prop drag at low boost pressure and the awesome cooling effect that provides in even a short shallow dive. A tip for the Spitfire is to not expend fuel energy when you are trading potential for kinetic, then when you do apply the throttle there's a transition from the oncoming air turning the prop to the engine powering it, get through this zone smoothly to avoid over revving then you can safely open her up to even 20 Boost for a few seconds only then 18 - applying throttle this way when you are already gaining kinetic is key to catching 190's and 109's near the crest of their zoom.

TBH I only ever use 2650 when I'm saving fuel with a boost around 7, it simply doesn't work for combat.

The FALSE is real, but it's not THRUTH right?

Intel i7 8700K OC4.4GHz | 16GB | GTX1080Ti | Logitech G940 | TrackIR5 |

Yeah, I've started finding ways around it. I've noticed that I can sustain up to 8-9 boost at 3000 rpm even while quite slow (not lower than 120) for long enough to catch them at the top of the zoom, where they are basically sitting ducks and easy to shoot.

My initial post was more out of frustration than anything, but I'm finding it far more manageable now that I've learned it is possible at lower settings to hang with them. It actually makes them quite easy to shoot down if you can catch them in the low energy state and keep your own engine healthy.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2