Noob questions

ayousry

Hi guys

1) How can i calculate target range using the HDD , i know u can see the scale number but i dont know how it represented i.e if 5 that means that a target at the top of the display is 5km away?!!!

Am asking becuse sometimes i get the target by awacs or datalink on my HDD but not on hud and want to know his range so i can adjust my radar accordinly

2) will 1 degree azimuth scale always mean +/- 1000m regardless of the expected target range selected?!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 5 with the dash ---- underneath is the scale like the scale legend on a map. If it's on 10 the range on screen to the top is around 50km

I.E You could fit together 5 of the dashes to reach the top of the display.

Good combat guide for the Su 27

The combat guide above I do highly recommend anyone to read if you like the Su 27.

Su-27 Flanker Beginners Guide on steam

Also checkout the manual too :) page 59

Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\Flaming Cliffs\Doc

Su-27 DCS Flaming Cliffs Flight Manual

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

2) will 1 degree azimuth scale always mean +/- 1000m regardless of the expected target range selected?!

Yes, +/-1000m your altitude at the expected target range.

eg. Your altitude = 4000m, expected target range =10km, elevation = +1

Radar centre line angles to a point in the sky, from your nose to 5000m @ 10km from you.

Edited by Frostie

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Well thanks for the info ,

But i didnt get it, what dashes are u talking about

I mean the scale no at the lower left of the HDD with have box underneath it in scan mode.

If it is 5 , does that mean that the top of the display is 20km?!

I read the manual but it does cover this part in detail, also searched many forums, i just wanted a quick advice so i can do missions .

Anyways ill check the guides you sent

Many thanks

Well thanks for the info ,

But i didnt get it, what dashes are u talking about

I mean the scale no at the lower left of the HDD with have box underneath it in scan mode.

If it is 5 , does that mean that the top of the display is 20km?!

i.e no diplayed x 5

I read the manual but it doesn't cover this part in detail, also searched many forums, i just wanted a quick advice so i can do missions .

Anyways ill check the guides you sent

Many thanks

Aaah ok i got it so the length of the bar is the 5kms,

Ok sry for being stupid

Just to make sure i got it

Lets say its 5 so how far is an enemy in the center of the hdd and how far is one at the top?!

Aaah ok i got it so the length of the bar is the 5kms,

Ok sry for being stupid

Just to make sure i got it

Lets say its 5 so how far is an enemy in the center of the hdd and how far is one at the top?!

25 km and 50 km respectively.

Assuming you mean the number in the lower left corner of the HDD, that's the HDD range scale--the distance from your aircraft icon to the top of the display. First, there is aways a number missing. 5=50 (km), 10=100 km, 2=25 km, etc. Second, unless you are in STT mode, the range scale on the HDD is controlled by the HUD range scale and is 1 series higher. For example, setting the range scale on the HUD to 50 km, automatically sets the HDD scale to 100 km. They are controlled independently only in STT (Attack) mode. EDIT: What I mean is that, in STT mode, the HUD range scale is controlled automatically by the range to the target, while you can manually control the HDD scale and set it to the range you want.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Hi guys

1) How can i calculate target range using the HDD , i know u can see the scale number but i dont know how it represented i.e if 5 that means that a target at the top of the display is 5km away?!!!

Am asking becuse sometimes i get the target by awacs or datalink on my HDD but not on hud and want to know his range so i can adjust my radar accordinly

Thanks

Just re-read your original post and thought I'd point you to this incomplete tutorial. It's actually just a test of video quality but the basic information is there. It is, however, missing arrows, etc pointing out what's being referred to. It's actually being revised to present the information a bit differently but you might find it helpful, anyway.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Thanks very helpful , wish he had contiued this tutorial!!!

:) He's revising it to make it more complete but it's going slowly due to lack of time.

_____

Great

Do u hv another toturial for air to air intense combats ,like when u are attacked by more than 3 aircrafts for example, am in mission 4 in the standard campaign , i hv to put down an awacs ac but upon reaching the target everything is going on , missiles and fighters everywhere , my 3 wingmen run away although i give them orders to engage , sry for asking too much am lost !!!!

Btw i did my homework ,

Read manuals watched utube vids, learned some new maneuvers like split-s

And barrel roll but nothing is helping me !!!!

Great

Do u hv another toturial for air to air intense combats ,like when u are attacked by more than 3 aircrafts for example, am in mission 4 in the standard campaign , i hv to put down an awacs ac but upon reaching the target everything is going on , missiles and fighters everywhere , my 3 wingmen run away although i give them orders to engage , sry for asking too much am lost !!!!

Btw i did my homework ,

Read manuals watched utube vids, learned some new maneuvers like split-s

And barrel roll but nothing is helping me !!!!

Concerning that campaign mission. Hit your waypoints close to their required times--especially your bullseye WP. The rest is wingman management. Once you start getting spiked by enemy aircraft, tell your wingmen to turn their radars on. With your own radar on, either select and designate a target for each wingman or just give the flight a blanket attack the enemy command. (They'll probably take off in the direction of the F-18s if you do the last which is fine.) Go to full burner--speed is life here--and lock the AWACs. If you hit your WPs properly, you'll blow past the A2A defenses and, other than dropping chaff (not even sure that's necessary), won't have to do any fancy flying to evade missiles. Very quickly they'll all be behind you and the AWACs will be your only concern.

EDIT: Just want to add...I've only flown this mission once. So there are probably other approaches. But flying it as designed allowed me to get a "mission success" message on the first try. If you hit the bullseye WP on time and give your wingmen a general "engage the enemy" command (however that's actually phrased) after they've turned on their radars, they'll take off after those F-18s (or -16s whatever they are). You should have the AWACS locked, engage afterburner and accelerate. At that point, the AWACS is flaking and heading away as are its F-15 protection.

The F-15s will peel off to engage you but, if you ignore them and keep in full pursuit of the AWACS, you'll notice that the angles involved will actually open a gap that allows you to slip between the defending F-15s and those F-whatevers to your right that your wingmen should be actively engaging (when not evading SAMs). You don't have to kill everything in the sky...just that AWACS.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Ok got it, Ill try that

Thanks so much for the great help

No problem. Have fun.

It doesn't much matter but it might lessen your workload a bit, if you realize that you can use the lateral cross check error indicator at the top of the HDD to keep you pointing toward your currently selected WP. By using it, you don't have to keep switching to Nav mode to check on the WP. If the triangle drifts off the short vertical line, just fly toward the triangle to bring it back into alignment. You'll know when you've passed the WP, because that triangle will move suddenly to one side or the other. At that point, switch to Nav, select the next WP and drop back into BVR mode.

This mission is designed to allow you to fly much its first part with your radar off. Your AWACS provides all the info you need for situational awareness, even while you have the enemy AWACS locked.

_____

Mission done thanks to u , and u even just gave me an awesome tip

Cant thank u enough

:) Great! I was thinking about you over the weekend and wondering how it turned out. Glad you had a successful mission. And you're welcome.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

It was success on first trial

After your advice

What maneuvers you use if the enemy is on your six?!

Am starting online combat and would like to know if u dont mind

Eject? :)

The answer, of course, depends entirely on the situation. How close? What aircraft? What weapons are available to both you and your adversary? Does he know exactly where you are? And vice-versa? There are any number of variables involved that can alter your response. And running away can sometimes be the best option, too.

_____

Lets say its a M2000 or F15

Amd he is 2 to 4 nm away

Fighting at low altitude ,

Ur speed is good

Sometime i think that a loop or a split s may be benefical in this situation or what is normlly done i dont know

If I had the room vertically (1000m?), I'd probably dump chaff/flares, slice, and use one of the Close Air Combat modes like vertical scan or helmet. Helmet would give you more off boresight capability, while vertical scan is more forgiving, if you think you might have a hard time visually acquiring him.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

If the bandit is out at 3-4nm pulling into a notch may be more beneficial than trying too turn for a head on, then you can wait for the merge before turning in, but whatever the situation always try to get below with plenty of cms. There are other methods such as driving missiles into the ground or out maneuvering them but ideally when you are low and the bandit is also, taking advantage of the terrain is what you want more than anything because everything else is a gamble.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org