Setup for the T.Flight HOTAS X with rudder pedals - Working great for HUEY!!

Hey there,

this is for all of you who are using the T-Flight HOTAS X with DCS.

The Thrustmaster stick and rudder is quite basic equipment and far off from being really precise and versatile for using it in simulations as DCS but it does its job in my configuration really good.

And here is how it goes:

1. Setting up the HOTAS X

a) Seperate the T.Flight HOTAS X from its throttle stick by loosening the two screws underneath the stick.

b) Disable the flight stick rotation by tighteninng the screw underneath the palm rest.

c) Make sure the selector-switch is set to "PC" and the selector light is lit RED.

d) If you prefer to have your throttle behave more like a real throttle stick - that is, you raise the collective by pulling the stick towards you - you should reverse the behaviour of the throttle function. And here is how that`s done:

e) Press the "PRESET"-key on the right side of your flight stick, so that its green light comes on. Now press the "MAPPING"-key next to it - the green light flashes slowly, push your throttle all the way forward (away from you) - the green light now flashes rapidly, then pull it all the way back (towards you) - the light is a steady green again - and move it back to center. You have now "re-programmed" you throttle to function like a real throttle stick. You can use this same procedure to also swap keys on the sticks.

2. Now to assigning keys to buttons by using "KJoytoKey". Download and start the tool to set the key mapping as follows:

a) under "Options" (right side of the configuration screen) "Stick/POV": "Show all axes (8way + POV x4)" to let you assign keys to all elements of the two sticks.

b) now with that done here comes my basic button assignment:

Button 1: Space (Release Weapon)

Button 2: m (Flexible Sight On/Off)

Button 3: t (Trim)

Button 4: L-Click (Mouseclick left)

Button 5: R-Click (Mouseclick right)

Button 6: R-Shift,K (Kneeboard On/Off)

Button 7: ALT,C (Left Alt-C - Mouselook On/Off)

Button 8: Home (Turbine Start)

Button 9: F1 (Cockpit View)

Button 10: L-Ctrl, F10 (Theater Map Current Point)

Button 11: Escape (Esc)

Stick2:<- Mouse: Wheel(-40) (Mouse Wheel Up)

Stick2:-> Mouse:Wheel(40) (Mouse Wheel Down)

Slider1(<0) Mouse:Wheel(-40) (Mouse Wheel Up)

Slider2(>0) Mouse:Wheel(40) (Mouse Wheel Down)

POV: Up 1 (Pilot Seat)

POV: Right + (Kneeboard Next Page)

POV: Down 2 (Co-Pilots Seat)

POV: Left ? (Kneeboard Previous Page)

This is my basic setup to get one through the first lessons and to enjoy the first hours of flight time.

If you need to map more keys to buttons, which you´d certainly want to if you fly in campaign mode, you ´d have to make use of a second, "virtual" joystick, which is supported by JoyToKey. I haven`t made use of that so far, but will give it a try to assign radio functions to the coolie-hat-directions, for example. If anyone has found out a better (more efficient) mapping of keys, I´d be happy if you share it with me. This setup lets you use the buttons 7 and 5 as right- and left-mouseclick and the rocker buttons for twisting knobs or the gas-stick, which I found very helpful.

I uploaded the JoyToKey-files in this post.

3. Setting the rudder pedals with the T.A.R.G.E.T-Utility

When using the TM rudder pedals you can make use of the "T.A.R.G.E.T"-configuration tool to manipulate the functions of the pedals. (The HOTAS X is unfortunately not supported and never will be (I asked the TM support team)

)

a) Open up the tool (TARGET GUI), select "NEW CONFIGURATION" of type "Basic", give it a name, select the "TFRP Rudder"-device, click "Next", set "TRPRIGHT" to "NONE" and "TRPLEFT" to "NONE" in order to diable the "gas & brake" functionality of the pedals you´d rather in racing games.

b) Under "FLY NOW" add a new game association, give it a name (e.g. "DCS") and select the DCS.EXE or DCS_updater.exe in the DCS installation path. Wheever you want to start DCS, remember to start it from this point (by clicking on the arrow right next to the name of your game profile) in order to have DCS start with the rudder functions set to your personal configuration.

4. Start up DCS-World, on top of the main screen, select the setup button (gear symbol) and go to "controls". Under "Axis setup", find the row "Flight controls: Rudder, Yaw" and move vertically down the column "T.Flight Hotas X" to the key-entry there. Hit "DELETE" to delete this field. This makes sure that moving your rocker on the throttle stick of your Hotas doesn`t interfere with rudder-movement in the sim.

5. Now the most important thing to make your virtual mouse clicks work, is to bring the simulation on your monitor into FULL SCREEN MODE.

Remember to hit (Left)-ALT + ENTER (just like you do with the good-old-DOS-box) any time after you have started DCS and BEFORE you start flying. If you don`t, the cursor movement and especially the virtual mouse button functions trigger windows desktop interaction which interferes with DCS in a very unnerving manner.

Well, that´s quite a bit of a pre-flight setup, isn`t it ? The good thing is, you only need to do it once !

Remember to start "JoyToKey", then "TARGET GUI", then start your game profile from there, bring your sim-window to focus (ALT-TAB) and hit ALT+ENTER !

You `re all set to have a great time with your TM gear. :pilotfly:

DCS Mouse.cfg

JoyToKey.ini.remove_this_text_and_suffix.txt

Edited by ZoscheHH
added more info

MSI H170M-A Pro with i5-6600K @ 3.5 Ghz, 16Gb DDR4-2133, ASUS GTX 1080 TI 11 Gb DDR5 352bit, Win10 Pro,

PUMA Flight Trainer, DCS 1.5, 2.5 open beta, UH-1H, KA50, Mi8-MTV2, Gazelle.

Have a safe flight !