Tutorial about Close Pattern Procedure with Radio Coms

vJaBoG32

THX for sharing

"You want me to fly in the back of a tiny little jet with a crazy fighter pilot who thinks he´s invincible,

home in on a SAM site in North Vietnam and shoot it before it shoots me?

You´ve gotta be shittin´me!"

Captain Jack Donovan

Great video.

Just a few remarks:

- on take off the rotation speed is way too high

- on landing, the purpose of the break is to check the landing speed in downwind leg (14 degrees AoA). During the final turn you keep the speed and aligned on final you keep 14 AoA.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Great video.

Just a few remarks:

- on take off the rotation speed is way too high

- on landing, the purpose of the break is to check the landing speed in downwind leg (14 degrees AoA). During the final turn you keep the speed and aligned on final you keep 14 AoA.

Thanks for the comments jojo.

You are right, I somewhat messed up the takeoff also had some troubles while taxying, I was still fiddling with the FBW system check... But since the main prupose of the video is to demonstrate new recruits in our wing our internal radio comm procedure, I didn´t want to repeat that again. I also had troubles with station keeping and I later found out, that my joystick setting was resetted. Since I am used to a curve in the pitch axis I found the flight behavior of the plane really strange. ;)

Our squadron SOP is to fly 250knots IAS in the traffic pattern after the break. The traffic pattern can be quite crowded with all kind of aircraft types. So 250knots is our standardized target speed once you are in the pattern. Sometimes hard for the A-10C (too high) and MiG21bis (too low), but doable.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unsere Facebook-Seite

Good job SNAFU :thumbup:

"You want me to fly in the back of a tiny little jet with a crazy fighter pilot who thinks he´s invincible,

home in on a SAM site in North Vietnam and shoot it before it shoots me?

You´ve gotta be shittin´me!"

Captain Jack Donovan

Ah ok. Yes, radio procedure sounds great. If it's your squadrons SOP then it's your call.:thumbup:

Since the video looks great, some people might want to replicate all of it to make it their SOP.

But the speed would complicate things for beginners.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

The purpose of an overhead pattern is to ensure you can make the runway if the engine quits...

Maybe for civilian flights, but from what I've researched/heard explained at airshows the overhead break/pattern in the military is used for tactical reasons: Getting a flight of multiple jets on the ground as quickly as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe for civilian flights, but from what I've researched/heard explained at airshows the overhead break/pattern in the military is used for tactical reasons: Getting a flight of multiple jets on the ground as quickly as possible.

Yeah I believe this is right. Goes back to WWII when the landing pattern was the point of the sortie where you were most vulnerable. You're low and slow with no energy to fight back with. The idea is to get everyone down on the floor as quick as possible in case you get jumped.