Stuttering and Pixel Density

Chief Instructor

Like many others, I have really struggled with stuttering in DCS using VR. My rig is buttery smooth in 2D @ 1920x1080 with everything maxed out, but VR presents another problem.

After hours of tinkering, it seems that PD is the real culprit. By stuttering I mean a jerkiness which is apparent during motion, however slow or fast. It has a frequency of about 1-2 cycles per second and is a little like driving a car whilst dabbing the brakes on and off repeatedly.

I recall hearing Wags mention somewhere that a PD of 2.0 was the sweet spot for DCS but I have terrible stutters with that setting, even with MSAA and shadows turned off etc. With a PD of 1.0 everything is smooth as a mole's nose, with 16xAA, and everything including shadows maxed out. Even @ a PD setting of 1.5 the stutters are still there, though not as bad. I should also point out that it is of course much worse around Vegas!

With a PD of 1.0 the frames never drop below 45 in crowded areas and sit at 90 in open spaces. The stuttering only appears when the frames drop below 45.

So, my conclusion is that with a higher PD, my graphics card is simply bottle necked and maxed out (according to GPU-Z). Having got used to a PD of 2.0 with stutters, I am surprised at how blurry everything looks when I'm back at 1.0. At least though I can run a high level of AA but it's not quite a substitute for a higher PD :(

How many people here are running stutter free at a PD of 2.0? Is it possible with my setup?

Best wishes - CFI

CPU: Intel i9 9900K @5GHz | MB: Asus ROG Maximus Hero XI | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator @ 3200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

Go here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=180204

I just bought the rift. I have it so as you say stutterfree now. Yep after hours trial and error. Turning google upside down.

PD 2.0. Settings high. :thumbup::pilotfly:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 64 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, RTX 3080(OC 2070 Mhz), Corsair H150 Pro RGB, Samsung 970 EVO 1 Tb, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

• 5 weeks later...

After hours of tinkering, it seems that PD is the real culprit. By stuttering I mean a jerkiness which is apparent during motion, however slow or fast. It has a frequency of about 1-2 cycles per second and is a little like driving a car whilst dabbing the brakes on and off repeatedly.

Totally agree! Every few cycles, a small stutter happens, no matter what direction you're looking, and it's so, so irritating. If you keep moving your head relatively quick and smoothly, it doesn't seem to happen - only when you stare in one direction.

My guess is, with the updated terrain / objects / airfields, there's just too much for any CPU to cope with without hitching as it cycles around. Shame!

Check out my F15C BFM & ACM Training Missions:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2167735/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Re-posting this from another thread:

Dudes, I've totally fixed my stutter issues and am back to 90hz again, finally!

Turns out, 'V-Sync' was set to 'ON'... Something I didn't think made any difference to the Oculus - but after running some tests with the debug tool, it seems it was capped to 45hz although certainly wasn't running like 45, more like 90 with consistent micro stutter ever couple of seconds, which is very strange.

After turning V-Sync off, everything was back to normal.

I hope this works for you guys too!

PS - ED have finally fixed AI problems when taking off from airfields, so it's now possible to use a second PC as a dedicated server to offload some of the work to, which allows massively increased performance (something I used to do in ARMA). Any of you who have a second PC, give it a go. Just tested it with the F15 Red Flag campaign - Works brilliantly - no stutters, despite the large number of objects. This may just be the best day of my life!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PS - ED have finally fixed AI problems when taking off from airfields, so it's now possible to use a second PC as a dedicated server to offload some of the work to, which allows massively increased performance (something I used to do in ARMA). Any of you who have a second PC, give it a go. Just tested it with the F15 Red Flag campaign - Works brilliantly - no stutters, despite the large number of objects. This may just be the best day of my life!

Not heard of this before, can you give me some more info on using two PC's, also how do you set it up?

Not heard of this before, can you give me some more info on using two PC's, also how do you set it up?

Sure thing:

When you create your own mission, or edit someone else's, just set the 'Player' unit to 'Client' instead. Then save a copy of the mission. This will now work as a multiplayer mission that you can join as the player / client.

Take your other PC and host a multiplayer match using your newly created mission. Then join the match with your main PC and select the player slot you created earlier. The 'Host' PC can be left as a 'Spectator'.

You now have a game instance where some of the information is forced to be processed on the host machine, like AI and objects, which frees up a healthy chunk of headroom on your main PC. I used to do this in the ARMA games, as they were very CPU bound too, and if you can offload some of the processing to another machine, you can often see a huge difference in frame rate.

If you want to make the Red Flag campaign into a multiplayer / host-able mission:

Campaign missions have all the triggers hidden from the editor, and also prevent you from saving copies of the missions. To get around this, open the mission you want to convert, in the editor and change the 'player' unit to 'client' as before. This is also a good time to remove some of the static objects if you want some extra headroom, because these take up valuable CPU processing power for no good reason. Then hit the play button. Then end the mission. Save the replay / track. Go find the newly created track file and remove the '.trk' from the end and replace with '.miz'. Voila! You now have a copy of the mission customised to your liking that can now be used to host your game.

Try it and see. Thank me later! :)

Edited by SW0RDF15H

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Go find the newly created track file and remove the '.trk' from the end and replace with '.miz'. Voila! You now have a copy of the mission customised to your liking that can now be used to host your game.

Just to be perfectly clear - I do not condone making copies for sharing or stealing the campaign creators work. This is purely to allow myself, who has paid good money for the campaign and F15 module and terrain module (TWICE!) to get a better performing version of the game so VR is actually smooth for me, in my private use!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Re-posting this from another thread:

Any of you who have a second PC, give it a go. Just tested it with the F15 Red Flag campaign - Works brilliantly - no stutters, despite the large number of objects. This may just be the best day of my life!

I can confirm this. Maybe a bit off-topic, but this is one of the reasons I have doubts about ED's statements that multithreading their code would not lead to significant performance increases. (That's a major reason they often give why they are not pursuing multithreading). Clearly, if you can offload some work to a second computer and this gives a significant performance improvement, you could offload the AI stuff to a second processor core (acting as the second computer, so to speak). Just my 50 cents...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

I'll thank you now, for answering me so quickly at least,. I'm definitely going to give this a go. Dose the second computer need to be a decent spec? I have a i7 laptop that runs DCS well but it doesn't do VR but I suppose that doesn't matter, and what about lag etc,

I'll thank you now, for answering me so quickly at least,. I'm definitely going to give this a go. Dose the second computer need to be a decent spec? I have a i7 laptop that runs DCS well but it doesn't do VR but I suppose that doesn't matter, and what about lag etc,

I'm not entirely sure, as both my PCs are top spec. But I doubt the server needs to be that fast, as it has much less work to do than the client, especially if you disable rendering in the config file.

I ran some tests last night, with the server PC being in my office a mile away from my home, and the AI that wasn't under my command did seem to jump around (rubber-banding) a bit on the occasion. When I took the server PC home, and put it on the same network, there were no issues whatsoever. In fact, it was awesome! Super smooth!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SW0RDF15H

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I hve tried but quickly realise that I have never had a look at multiplayer before so not sure what to do. I click on multiplayer, click on new server, name the server, load the mission in the box on the right then launch the game but I don't see it with my other PC what am I doing wrong?

• 3 months later...
Like many others, I have really struggled with stuttering in DCS using VR. My rig is buttery smooth in 2D @ 1920x1080 with everything maxed out, but VR presents another problem.

I recall hearing Wags mention somewhere that a PD of 2.0 was the sweet spot for DCS but I have terrible stutters with that setting, even with MSAA and shadows turned off etc. With a PD of 1.0 everything is smooth as a mole's nose, with 16xAA, and everything including shadows maxed out. Even @ a PD setting of 1.5 the stutters are still there, though not as bad. I should also point out that it is of course much worse around Vegas!

With a PD of 1.0 the frames never drop below 45 in crowded areas and sit at 90 in open spaces. The stuttering only appears when the frames drop below 45.

So, my conclusion is that with a higher PD, my graphics card is simply bottle necked and maxed out (according to GPU-Z). Having got used to a PD of 2.0 with stutters, I am surprised at how blurry everything looks when I'm back at 1.0. At least though I can run a high level of AA but it's not quite a substitute for a higher PD :(

How many people here are running stutter free at a PD of 2.0? Is it possible with my setup?

Best wishes - CFI

Do you switch oculus space warp off. I always do. I think it has problems below 45fps

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.