ASW experiences

boedha68

Who uses it? I found this

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2306852/

But i don't know the efforts...see more stuttering. More FPS, but more stuttering in DCS.

So i turned it off.

What is your experience with ASW?

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Who uses it? I found this

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2306852/

But i don't know the efforts...see more stuttering. More FPS, but more stuttering in DCS.

So i turned it off.

What is your experience with ASW?

For DCS its crap, anything fast moving, its crap. You can already turn it off system wide with Left Ctrl + NumPad1 for off, and Left Ctrl + NumPad4 for on. This is not a DCS macro, its system wide.

Edited by Jabbers_

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Yep ASW is awful with DCS. Also effects the gun sight making it blurred on the Spit, best avoided.

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Thank you guys for the feedback. I thought it is me and my system that screwed up the whole thing. :smilewink::thumbup::D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

[...] Also effects the gun sight making it blurred on the Spit[...]

Yap, same here. In the Spit the sight is much better with ASW off for me.

Most of the time ASW works nicely but in some situations it makes thinks look worse. I'm finding myself turning it off more and more often.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

You can already turn it off system wide with Left Ctrl + NumPad1 for off, and Left Ctrl + NumPad4 for on. This is not a DCS macro, its system wide.

How do you know if ASW is on or off?

I tried this method but don't get anything in the rift view confirming that ASW is on or off. I just tired it in game on a server to see if there was any difference but it's difficult to notice anything and I am not getting any confirmation from the rift that what I have selected has had any effect.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

I used it, very smooth with it on, makes me sick when its turned off.

I know its on because the FPS locks at 45fps and its nice and smooth. When I turn it off the FPS fluctuates around 60fps and is not smooth at all. Maybe I could make it smoother if I turned some settings down but having it on allows me to keep the settings up.

No issues here. So its not crap

... for you.

@Bart

If you display your fps and look to see if they are capped at 45. If they go higher you know its off.

Edited by Ratcatcher

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

No issues here. So its not crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, it's not perfect but I find it keeps thing smooth for me when left on,

if you can maintain 90fps you don't need it but if you want it looking good with high settings I don't think meny can maintain 90fps.

If I turn it off with my settings I get ghosting and judder when turning sharply over built up areas, don't get any of that with it on

i think it will be good once they figure out how to not have the weird melting screen and water on screen error effect happening. I mean dear lord your on the ground look up at passing aircraft flying over head and its a blurry crappy motion image on them. Turn ASW off looks way better.

Also isnt the point of ASW to allow weak systems to get a smooth experience... it wasnt made or enabled so you can jack all the settings to uber high and expect perfection...

Edited by Enduro14

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

I am experiencing the same thing johnco61 is saying. It is ghosting and juddering with ASW off. Mostly noticeable on the canopy frame.

It is smoother with the ASW ON, all settings maxed out and pixel density to 1.5. (Lens effect, Depth of field and traffic are off)

However, I am referring to the 2.0 Nevada map (fps 45) because in the 1.5.5 my framerates with the above settings are around 25.

Video memory usage in Nevada with just my plane up ranges 9000-10000 Mb!!

Intel i7 3970x, x79motherboard, Nvidia Titan X (Maxwell), 16 GB DDR3

Edited by Kadin

It's interesting how people are getting different results with ASW enabled, I only get problems if my frames drop below 45fps when enabled, which would cause problems whether it was enabled or not. I do find it has got worse since I first started using it, I used to have high shadows and HDR enabled without issues but can only run shadows on flat and HDR off now. I do think drivers and updates cause most issues though, with Windows, oculus, and DCS continually being updated and nvidia drivers changing every week or so it's almost impossible to keep it stable for long.

It is smoother with the ASW ON, all settings maxed out and pixel density to 1.5. (Lens effect, Depth of field and traffic are off)

Have you tried lowering the settings? I don't experience these artifacts, to any significant degree anyway. But I have most settings on low or medium.

Have you tried lowering the settings? I don't experience these artifacts, to any significant degree anyway. But I have most settings on low or medium.

Goblin, I like the look on max settings :cry:. Maybe after some of the novelty wears off and have to go to battle, I might have to do it but just messing around with solo touch and goes, formation with an AI and changing weather and time conditions in Mission Editor is just too much fun.

Well, Kadin, I do recommend that you try turning the settings down, and see how it goes. Especially shadows. I was actually surprised at how good DCS looks with everything on low.

Then you can try increasing some settings, to see how it goes.