Engine Smoke

Trav164

i've never seen any smoke on start-up in any WWII fighter...

got a screenshot or a short vid?

there are a few for ya ;)

There are a ton more videos out there, i've even got a couple from when i had the delight of riding backseat in a P-51D.

EDIT: heres one of Kermie's P-51C:

Edited by Davison

Gonna be kinda difficult for the devs to really implement well/accurately to the satisfaction of the majority of nit pickers :P

Having worked with warbirds in a flying museum collection, I can say with first hand experience that how much smoke the old radials or water coolers spat out on startup varied widely based on:

- Atmospheric conditions

- How long its been since the engine had its annual

- How low it was on oil

- How warm/cool the engine was

- How many shots the pilot requested for the primer (they're external on some old-oldies)

- How new the engine was

- Whether the flight engineer remembered to enable engine oil feed pumps or not prior to startup (that actually happened once LoL)

- How well maintained the ignition system was

- How good (quality) the fuel was/is

Soooooo

Its kind of a crapshoot lol

Even some simple, scripted smoke effect would do. For example let's note the popping backfire sound effect introduced last year. It's just a .wav sample played while downthrottling to idle, without any big physics calculations behind it, and yet, it's such a cool immersion bonus.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Either that, difference in pilots' preferences (some guys smoothly ease power out till they're down, some chop it like a cucumber over the numbers) or its possible the FAA requires a different maintenance program for Merlins operated in the US. The FAA really knows how to suck the joy out of flying :|

Edited by Schwarzfeld

It is, but when I've watched guys cut the throttle landing Spits, Mustangs and P-40s workin at air shows I never did hear that kind of backfiring at all. I recently installed DivePlane's Spitfire sound mod and it cut down much of the backfiring.

I like the backfire sounds and hope this does not change. Yes, hope to see the engine smoke for props in an appropriate way soon!

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

This popping backfire sound gave me the second "Wow"-moment after I managed to bring the Merlin into life :)

and a little bit of smoke - just if the engine is cold, maybe - would give that some creme on the top.

Also could it be nice to see some kind of black smoke comes out before the engine suddenly (as as it is right now) dies due to over-rev.

Just a suggestion :)

Manual for my version of RS485-Hardware, contact: tekkx@dresi.de

Please do not PM me with DCS-BIOS-related questions. If the answer might also be useful to someone else, it belongs in a public thread where it can be discovered by everyone using the search function. Thank You.

• 7 years later...
On 1/16/2017 at 12:53 PM, NineLine said:

Its requested internally, and I bug Yo-Yo about it every chance I get, so someday soon I hope 🙂

was just thinking about this today. wishing there was smoke for the warbrid startup. lets bug Yo-Yo some more 😉 

• Like 1

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules