Mission Editor not exiting after a while, or black screen

Redglyph

DCS 2.0.4.59428.142

After editing a mission for a while in the mission editor, it is not possible to exit, I have to kill DCS.

It can save the mission, and if I just saved the mission and click on exit, it gives a warning pop-up saying the mission should be saved or data may be lost. Choosing to save or not leads to the same result, the ME doesn't close and there is no way to exit.

It happens everytime I use the ME for some time, even if that's just one mission.

When it is still possible to exit after a while, there is often a black screen. Sometimes it's just the matter of waiting for something (garbage collection? Freeing virtual memory? Something else? No idea), sometimes it just doesn't recover and DCS has to be killed.

Perhaps both are linked, and there are massive memory leaks, though I'm not sure why it would disable menu features.

Using it only for a short while is fine.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

I have experienced this, but only once and only after a long time as you said. It just doesn't take any input whatsoever.

The live and alpha branches behave very differently now. THis shoudl have been in the bug section though.

DCS 2.0.4.59428.142

After editing a mission for a while in the mission editor, it is not possible to exit, I have to kill DCS.

It can save the mission, and if I just saved the mission and click on exit, it gives a warning pop-up saying the mission should be saved or data may be lost. Choosing to save or not leads to the same result, the ME doesn't close and there is no way to exit.

It happens everytime I use the ME for some time, even if that's just one mission.

When it is still possible to exit after a while, there is often a black screen. Sometimes it's just the matter of waiting for something (garbage collection? Freeing virtual memory? Something else? No idea), sometimes it just doesn't recover and DCS has to be killed.

Perhaps both are linked, and there are massive memory leaks, though I'm not sure why it would disable menu features.

Using it only for a short while is fine.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Using only release ver 1.5.5 I just wait out the black screen and it always seems to exit cleanly but only after a few long minutes. Granted this is something new and waiting for a clean exit shouldn't be necessary but it seems to be taking some time to clean up the .tmp files. If you kill DCS via the task manager, so many .tmp files are left in one of the working folders. If you wait a few minutes for the clean exit, all the .tmp files are gone.

I think ED should be looking at this new event.

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Actually, I just had this after 10-15 minutes of editing basic mission files (still in 2.0.4), with a fresh DCS start. I'm never entirely sure the files are saved correctly when it happens, I think so but it's certainly not reassuring.

Yes, I've somehow created this in the wrong forum, sorry.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• ED Team

straight after it happens zip your whole logs folder and attach it here, we may see some clues

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I'm getting the hang of it, this time it took 5 minutes.

Included are the two dummy missions I used for this. I should try to retrace my steps, but they were as follows:

- launch DCS 2.0.4

- open Mig21.test.miz

- zoom / unzoom and move the map

- create a new group of 3 F-177A at the North of TTR

- save the mission file

- save the mission file as Mig21.test.2.miz

- trying to edit the TF-51D on parking D13

=> couldn't (clicking on it does not select the aircraft)

- trying to exit

=> couldn't (opens the pop-up saying to save, clicked yes, no effect)

Hope it helps :)

EDIT: it's funny, no mention of the Mig21.test.2.miz in the log. Has this something to do with the "save as" feature?

ME_crash.zip

Edited by Redglyph

Also seems to happen when I try to have an aircraft start from ramp or parking hot, from Groom Lake, which is apparently impossible in 2.0.4.

The ME puts the aircraft at TTR, I try to move it to GRL (which fails) and after that, the ME gets in this broken state. Should be pretty easy to reproduce.