Mudspike Rb-05A deployment

Sryan

That looked difficult but well done. I'm pretty excited for this weapon :) Good video!

It was definitely difficult, but I'm not sure about well done. ;) Manually guiding these zippy rockets onto targets is tough. The large warhead has a nice blast radius, which makes hitting soft targets easier, but still not easy.

I'm sure with more practice and attack approach discipline, these little Rb05's can be put to good use.

• Like 1

Shoot to Kill.

Play to Have Fun.

As this weapon was one I was really excited about, it was the first thing I tried when LNS was kind enough to allow me to access the promotional build- as mentioned above, it is very tricky, but I managed to score multiple hits on ship sized targets with no issue, the ground targets are tricky because of the likelihood of missing high or low if you don't have the perspective right- I'm still looking for the best attack profile but

My strategy so far has mostly consisted of "put the flare on the target, and try to keep it there!"

I LOVE this weapon! Something totally new to DCS

It was definitely difficult, but I'm not sure about well done. ;) Manually guiding these zippy rockets onto targets is tough. The large warhead has a nice blast radius, which makes hitting soft targets easier, but still not easy.

I'm sure with more practice and attack approach discipline, these little Rb05's can be put to good use.

The real Viggen pilots did over 1000 shots in the simulator before they got the chance to do it for real, and the first live missile they fired wasn't even a Rb 05A but a slower (and cheaper) similar missile. Practice makes perfect. :P

Rb05 was introduced in 1972. The Maverick was introduced more than a decade later, from 1984 on.

Also the warhead on the Rb05 is much bigger than the Maverick's, 160kg vs 9kg.

Nothing about that is correct.

The mavericks where delibered in 1978 the warhead is much bigger than 9kg it's 57kg HEAT warhead or a 136kg mine warhead.

What is difference betwen RB05A and rb75? I know that maverick is fire and forget but why to choose rb05? It has bigger blast raduis?

One reason can be that the 05 is a supersonic "instant fire" weapon which you deploy as soon as you see the target even if far off your current heading (reasonable 30-44 deg off, not 90 :) ) while the Mav needs all that aiming we're all pretty used to.

But for mission planning I'd say go 05 for bridges and structures and Mav for smaller "pinpoint" targets such as radar and similar (maybe even tanks/vehicles but keep in mind the AJ-37 is more of a striker like the Su-25 and not a CAS plane like Su-25T or A-10).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What is difference betwen RB05A and rb75? I know that maverick is fire and forget but why to choose rb05? It has bigger blast raduis?

Like other pointed, it has a bigger warhead, in fact, I think Rb05 has the biggest singular warhead among all the air to ground ordnance that is carried by the Viggen, apart from the anti ship missiles.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Though the Warhead on the RB 75T is not much smaller then that of the

RB 05A (i think its a 136kg warhead on the 75T).

So while the 160kg warhead of the RB 05A is slightly larger

the 75T is probably more likely to get a direct hit on the target.

But both weapons will have their uses.

Though the RB 05A will be the trickier of the two to use.

I think the rb75 being a shaped charge is more suited for a single hard target and the HE warhead on the rb05 is better suited for collateral damage on softer targets.

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Okay, so the story goes like this. When the Viggen still is in the planning stage, its only guided weapon and only anti-ship weapon is the rb 04. Which is fine, but it can only be used in open sea because of the sorta primitive seeker and navigation systems. So, a secondary weapon is needed for archipelagoes and beach landings and such things and it would be nice if it could do double duty for other strategic targets. Enter the rb 05A, which comes into service at the same time as the aircraft itself, in 1972.

Now, what also happens in 1972 is that this new hot thing called the AGM-65 enters service in the US. TV seeker, so fancy! The SwAF wants in on that. Saab proposes an updated rb 05 with a new seeker similar to the one on the Maverick, but for economical reasons the air force ends up buying the AGM-65A only a few years later (IIRC deal signed in 1977).

Also, you can "jam" the AGM-65 by using smoke, and IIRC the TV seeker on the A model had some problems with very high brightness environments such as snow-covered fields on a sunny late winter day and glittery seas etc, so the rb 05 remained relevant as a secondary guided weapon.

Edited by renhanxue

Does the Rb 05A possibly have a range advantage over the Maverick? I think the AGM-65A should be range limited by the ability of the TV seeker to get enough contrast for a lock.

Edit: Ok, don't know how accurate this is, but I found this:

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_armament_article4.html

One major drawback of the A-model was the limited range at which the TV-seeker could lock on: although the missile has a range of up to 7nm (13km) under the worst possible circumstances (a low and slow aircraft), attenuation at optical wavelengths limits lock-on range to about 3nm (5.5km). Furthermore, the AGM-65A needs 4-8 seconds to lock on, which is an eternity on the modern battlefield.

Edited by MBot

Rb 05 is suitable for easy, stationary targets which won't fire back. Remember that you need to fly pretty much in a dead straight line to have a decent chance of hitting anything. Hell, the manual even says to put your aircraft on autopilot. Even gentle turning is gonna make the shot much more difficult. With Rb 75 and Rb 75T you can make a 5G turnout as soon as the missile leaves the rack.

For air-to-air fuzing, we are talking intercepted bombers and taking the shot from dead astern (again on autopilot).

Inb4 somone posts a pinpoint Rb 05-shot whilst in a 7G inverted turn on launch day. :P

Rb 05 is suitable for easy, stationary targets which won't fire back. Remember that you need to fly pretty much in a dead straight line to have a decent chance of hitting anything. Hell, the manual even says to put your aircraft on autopilot. Even gentle turning is gonna make the shot much more difficult. With Rb 75 and Rb 75T you can make a 5G turnout as soon as the missile leaves the rack.

For air-to-air fuzing, we are talking intercepted bombers and taking the shot from dead astern (again on autopilot).

Inb4 somone posts a pinpoint Rb 05-shot whilst in a 7G inverted turn on launch day. :P

I promise you sooner or later there will be a MP Air-Air kill against an enemy fighter using the RB 05A...

Its just a matter of time.

I promise you sooner or later there will be a MP Air-Air kill against an enemy fighter using the RB 05A...

Its just a matter of time.

I'm looking forward to the first battlefield style Rb 05A AA kill compilation video. :joystick: