Helicopters: Force Feedback or not

Hey guys. I've got my heavily modded FFB2 (which I use for antique planes) available as well as my Gladiator Pro with Warthog grip.

Does it make sense to use the FFB setup for helicopters? Two separate factors: Is it more realistic? Is it beneficial in any way (like stall shake in planes)?

I'm flying the Huey if that matters.

Apparently the Gunfighter with those clutches is a great helicopter option. I want one but don't think I can manage it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

I don't know about the gunfighters "Clutch" but if it were between a regular spring joystick and an ffb one I'd go with the ffb any day. Force trim with ffb is significantly easier than the spring joysticks "press trim button then quickly center your stick" method.

As for effects, you won't feel much, other than your Force Trim turning on and off.

PS just saw your 6dof with VR setup, thats insane!!!! What I wouldn't give to have one of those... :pilotfly:

Edited by Mtnbiker1998

Come fly with me, lets fly, lets fly away! -Sinatra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Specs: Lenovo Y50 with GTX 860m (2GB), i7 4700HQ 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram. Corsair K70(MX Blues are awesome!), Benq GW2760HS monitor, Steelseries V3 Prism headset, TM Warthog Hotas, Sidewinder FFB2 W/ FLCS grip, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR5, KW-908 Jetseat

I also use a modded MSFFB2 in the Huey.

42931b128c3037d63076feea2dbcba31.jpg

Fact: theres no better Stick for the Huey or generally for helicopters.

Why?

Ok, lets fly. Startup, Force Trim on. So its easyer to get a feeling how much "backwards left" is needed. Bring it to a stable hover, push the Force-Trim Button on the stick, and our weird old lady gets smooth. Hands of the Stick? No problem!

Liftoff, climb, level out, push the button. New "center" of the Stick is in the leveled position. You dont have to push the stick in one direction for hours during level flight. Engaging Co-Pilot will be easy. No howling turbine, no hard corrections. Same in opposite way. Auto-Pilot off. The stick is exactly in needed position.

On difficult manouvers, such like autorotation, my preference is to switch force trim off on central pedestal. But its on you, however you feel better.

An heres the point: its possible to choose!

And by the way, i've tried some sticks before. No other one gave me this feeling of smoothness and precision like the MSFFB2. The only problem with the stick will be the guy behind it.

Hey guys. I've got my heavily modded FFB2 (which I use for antique planes) available as well as my Gladiator Pro with Warthog grip.

Does it make sense to use the FFB setup for helicopters? Two separate factors: Is it more realistic? Is it beneficial in any way (like stall shake in planes)?

I'm flying the Huey if that matters.

Apparently the Gunfighter with those clutches is a great helicopter option. I want one but don't think I can manage it.

I know a little bit about them, my mechstick/friction mechanisms + Nyogel 767a are what led to them! :p ..at least inspired VKB to visit the idea of using simple friction components and special damping grease to achieve near hydraulic quality damping.

Not gonna get better than well supported FFB if you can get the torque out of it you want, but it's really easy to make a 2 axis friction gimbals to play around with or incorporate into other projects. Check out the one I made for this experiment (using G502 sensor as pickup in a zero-order joystick). It uses only a few pieces of angle aluminum, cut with a wood saw and drilled on a cheap drill press.

http://imgur.com/a/jTw6H

OVYuMot.jpg

I also use a modded MSFFB2 in the Huey.

42931b128c3037d63076feea2dbcba31.jpg

Fact: theres no better Stick for the Huey or generally for helicopters.

Why?

Ok, lets fly. Startup, Force Trim on. So its easyer to get a feeling how much "backwards left" is needed. Bring it to a stable hover, push the Force-Trim Button on the stick, and our weird old lady gets smooth. Hands of the Stick? No problem!

Liftoff, climb, level out, push the button. New "center" of the Stick is in the leveled position. You dont have to push the stick in one direction for hours during level flight. Engaging Co-Pilot will be easy. No howling turbine, no hard corrections. Same in opposite way. Auto-Pilot off. The stick is exactly in needed position.

On difficult manouvers, such like autorotation, my preference is to switch force trim off on central pedestal. But its on you, however you feel better.

An heres the point: its possible to choose!

And by the way, i've tried some sticks before. No other one gave me this feeling of smoothness and precision like the MSFFB2. The only problem with the stick will be the guy behind it.

Hey mate, what mods have you done to the stick? Did you do the increased force mod? If so, is it a noticeable increase? What grip is that that you are using?

I have a sidewinder itching to be modded.