Where did the bass disappear?

Yesterday a helicopter flew over my house and I noticed how different the sound is to that of a simulation like DCS. All my body (and part of my house) was shaken by the deep bass of the choppers mighty engine and blades cutting through the air.

This deep bass makes us predict how big and how much power the engines have.

Now, what is the reason I cannot feel the same thing with DCS? Is it my rig or the software or both?

I fly with an Oculus rift (the Rift is the reason I came back to simulations, well and because they are back of course) and the standard Rift Headphones with standard on-board sound ship.

I guess the headphones are part of the problem, so I'm asking my self (and now you fellow simulation enthusiast):

1- Is it possible to get a similar bass in the sound of helicopters, propeller planes and jets with DCS and the right hardware?

2- Would the new Oculus earbuds help?

3- Are there any mods that might help?

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

You can quite a bit of tactile feedback from the Gametrix JetSeat... especially in DCS helos; that, to mee, tops the bass that you're looking for. Heck, my whole chair hums from the deep vibrations! :)

• Like 1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I'd suggest decent earphones are a good starting point. I have ditched the Oculus Rift ones as they simply don't give decent bass response.

Also, be aware that "Hear like in helmet" will reduce bass output too.

But yes, sitting on a sub woofer will also add hugely to your experience - but it may make the missus complain too!

I'd suggest decent earphones are a good starting point. I have ditched the Oculus Rift ones as they simply don't give decent bass response.

Also, be aware that "Hear like in helmet" will reduce bass output too.

But yes, sitting on a sub woofer will also add hugely to your experience - but it may make the missus complain too!

OK, so part of the problem are the rift headphones. Part of the problem is the "Hear like in helmet" turned on.

Anybody experience with the Oculus earbuds?

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

Back in the days of 486DX ( and no wife & kids !!! ) I had my Infinity Kappa 8.1 with a Yamaha CX/MX1000 combo like 1m away from me and zoomed thru space with 400watts :)

Never had that feeling again, despite it was a SB16pnp card haha

M i n d B l o w i n g

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I think that's the only solution to be "shaken by the deep bass of the choppers mighty engine" ;)

Mancher zum Meister sich erklärt, dem nie das Handwerk ward gelehrt!

I agree the sound is the weakest point of the sim at this moment

Another aspect that shouldn't be neglected however is the audio hardware. It's natural to expect a high quality graphics only from a build with strong CPU and GPU. The same applies to the audio. It should be hard to expect a good sound quality without a decent hardware. Unfortunately today, getting a dedicated sound card or an amplifier is something rather uncommon. Not even mentioning a good headphones, which probably isn't "exactly" a case with VR sets as also IMO excludes the earbuds and the plastic PC speakers.

Unfortunately those things don't come cheap. Starting price for a decent audio card + head phones is 400-500$. The good thing about making such investment is that it's all worth the money. Afterwards, there is no turning back as it really becomes obvious how bad the on-board sound card and cheap headphones are. It's not the ammount of flat bass that shakes the windows which gives the thrills but a wide frequency spectrum with depth and nautural reproduction that multiply the visual experience comming from the screen.

The disadvantage is that it starts to be much more noticeable how DCS is not equal in sound department between the modules as also external and internal sound implementation.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

THe only decent sounding planes in DCS are actually the M2000 and the F-5 the rest are awful sounding!!, sorry but its the truth :cry:...anyway, with a good subwoofer try to make a hard turn in the mig-29 at low speed (near stall) from the cockpit and let me know if there is bass (deep bass in fact) ;) (you need a REAL subwoofer for that of course)

Take a look at my MODS here