Target coord. entered at startup, TGP still off

Razor18

Hi Guys,

it happens rather often: I enter the target coordinates during startup, before NAV blinks "ready" at 4.0.0.8. Numbers are OK, but when I approach the area and slew my TGP to the TGT waypoint, crosshair is off. Is there any point in time during CDU booting, until you need to wait before entering any coordinates to prevent such offset? Or what else can be the reason? Numbers and format are all OK, so it is definitely not entering error.

THX

I'd imagine it's because the terrain data hasn't loaded. When you enter coordinates after loading DTS (or LOAD ALL) then the elevation is automatically set according to DTS.

However if you enter the coordinates before you load DTS the terrain is loaded then IMHO the elevation is set to zero. So the TGP will look at the coordinates but at a wrong elevation. Eg. you target is at 4300ft, but the TGP is looking at 0ft.

You may also notice this by looking at the area while you orbit in a wheel. The TGP is not looking at the same spot but appears to be moving around. That because it is looking at point below the terrain.

Cheers

Hans

I'd imagine it's because the terrain data hasn't loaded. When you enter coordinates after loading DTS (or LOAD ALL) then the elevation is automatically set according to DTS.

However if you enter the coordinates before you load DTS the terrain is loaded then IMHO the elevation is set to zero. So the TGP will look at the coordinates but at a wrong elevation. Eg. you target is at 4300ft, but the TGP is looking at 0ft.

You may also notice this by looking at the area while you orbit in a wheel. The TGP is not looking at the same spot but appears to be moving around. That because it is looking at point below the terrain.

Cheers

Hans

Yeah, and I think this has to do with DTSAS and its terrain data processing as well. The accuracy of EGI and DTSAS increases with time. EGI will be most accurate at the end of the alignment, after you enter NAV Mode.

Come join a passionate community of flight simmers everyday, live at

16hnv2f.png

PC Specs

Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.4GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7

Corsair Vengeance LED 2666MHz 32GB DDR4

H115i 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

EVGA GeForce 980Ti Hybrid (built-in liquid cooling)

EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+Gold

Samsung NVMe 950PRO M.2 SSD 512GBx2