The ability to use switches buttons (warthog, X55,etc) in DCS

Probably this has been already proposed here but just in case :)...recently I upgraded to a warthog and seems like you have to mess with the software of the controller in order to be able to use switches kind of buttons (on/off or on/off/on possitions).

As most of you already know the A-10C and other planes work great with this kind of buttons out of the box but only with those functions which have been programmed to work like that (in the F-5, the gun/camera/safe switch can be binded to a warthog switch but the jettison selector doesnt) so I would beg you ED the ability to assing this kind of switches to be used directly in DCS, specially when sooo many people here uses this kind of devices.

Maybe this feature is already coming??

Thanks!!

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

I think it shouldnt be so hard to do as its possible for the A-10C and the F-5 (maybe others also) so I guess there shouldnt be any problem adding the ability to detect when the switch is "released" and map also that position as you can do with the target software.

Edited by watermanpc

One could say it is already there but right now it's not very flexible (see 3-positions and 2-positions abstraction in the M-2000C).

Having a "on release" modifier in the controller settings (assign button) would make it universal, without the need for tweaking the control luas :thumbup:

Yeah, I cant believe something like "releasing button" hasnt been yet added to the sim...I guess it would be also great for people with custom cockpits and devices...the lua option is not bad, but I think it would be waaay better to just add the RELEASE option for mapping, thats ALL we need to fully enjoy switches in DCS...pretty sad this hasnt been added in soo many years.

Yeah, I cant believe something like "releasing button" hasnt been yet added to the sim...I guess it would be also great for people with custom cockpits and devices...the lua option is not bad, but I think it would be waaay better to just add the RELEASE option for mapping, thats ALL we need to fully enjoy switches in DCS...pretty sad this hasnt been added in soo many years.

++++1:pilotfly:

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutelly!! Its a shame this hasnt been applied to such an advanced FlightSim after so much time, I just got my TM Warthog and its been HELL to get these things to work I'm getting all sorts of problems that appearently no one knows about and its driving me insane X_x

I agree and because of this issue, I don't understand people who won't use Target. A Target profile is a lot easier to maintain than lua mods that have to be reinstalled after every update.

Although, I will admit that I have a mod for the A-10 so that the default lua, which is used for the Thrustmaster Combined (created by Target), contains all of the Plug-n-Play commands that are, normally, only available when you are using the Warthog without Target.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I agree and because of this issue, I don't understand people who won't use Target. A Target profile is a lot easier to maintain than lua mods that have to be reinstalled after every update.

Although, I will admit that I have a mod for the A-10 so that the default lua, which is used for the Thrustmaster Combined (created by Target), contains all of the Plug-n-Play commands that are, normally, only available when you are using the Warthog without Target.

Finally someone who gets me :D

As long as I'm forced to go into fooling around with luas to use my controllers fully I will rather use target. Besides now that the game recognizes controllers on the fly, I can actually change skripts and modify them on the fly.

Plus some suboptimal control logics on the fc3 aircraft made me want to create some advanced functions into the skrips.

All the hassle, be it luas or target, could be entirely avoided by having all button, rotary and switch states available in-game from the getgo... and to have aircraft functions have alternatives for the simplified toggle controls (i.e. instead of toggle gear you would have separate controls for gear up and gear down) to prevent control-to-switch mismatch.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

But there is something you may not be concerned about...when using soft like target, button presses are keyboard presses, so there is a very important problem: you CANT press several keys at the same time!!! This is why I dont like using target, you cant press seeker unlock at the same time as launch/triger/etc. in the f5 for example because they are actual keyboar presses so you would be messing several bindings at the same time instead of dx buttons. At least it was like that last time I tried it.

anyway, WE NEED PROPER SWITCHES SUPPORT DIRECTLY IN DCS!!!!

But there is something you may not be concerned about...when using soft like target, button presses are keyboard presses, so there is a very important problem: you CANT press several keys at the same time!!! This is why I dont like using target, you cant press seeker unlock at the same time as launch/triger/etc. in the f5 for example because they are actual keyboar presses so you would be messing several bindings at the same time instead of dx buttons. At least it was like that last time I tried it.

anyway, WE NEED PROPER SWITCHES SUPPORT DIRECTLY IN DCS!!!!

That is true. I actually considered making a single target script with all the switch positions as DX output, and after that just bind keys as normal. That said, it still means fiddling with software.

And it is sad. Why have all these controls if you cant use them out of the box? I don't understand what is the benefit of not having all the keys recognized... The more accessible the sim is, the less frustrated newcomers we have in the hobby.

That is true. I actually considered making a single target script with all the switch positions as DX output, and after that just bind keys as normal. That said, it still means fiddling with software.

And it is sad. Why have all these controls if you cant use them out of the box? I don't understand what is the benefit of not having all the keys recognized... The more accessible the sim is, the less frustrated newcomers we have in the hobby.

Totally agree mate!:thumbup:

And the best thing is that it wouldnt be a hard task at all...there are not so many swithches in a plane and making them work as switches is a matter of a few minutes in the lua file. I made several compatible in the F-5 in a matter of minutes without any proper knoledge so I guess for devs it should be a walk on the park.

Totally agree mate!:thumbup:

And the best thing is that it wouldnt be a hard task at all...there are not so many swithches in a plane and making them work as switches is a matter of a few minutes in the lua file. I made several compatible in the F-5 in a matter of minutes without any proper knoledge so I guess for devs it should be a walk on the park.

Yep. The catch is, you need to learn the whole thing first. After that it is easy. Same thing with target to a bit more greater extent.

Man, we need a target-nerd corner here :D

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed! More flexibility within DCS controls;

- The ability to assign more than one action to a switch or key.

- Do action when key is released.

- Press and Hold functions.

- etc...

Maybe also a built in driver for TrackIR.

The less I have to deal with outside software and tweaking, the more time I have to fly.:)

Digital Storm Lynx: i9-10850k (5.2 GHz): 64GB RAM (3200 MHz): 2TB SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO: 2TB Samsung HD: GEFORCE 2080 TI: Thrust Master WartHog (modified): TM F-18C joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals: HP Reverb PRO: Volair Sim Cockpit: Current Stable Version of DCS :thumbup:

IRL Retired Maintainer of the AT-38B: F-4E/G: F-15A/B/C/D: and McDonnell Douglas/Boeing Technical Advisor for the F-15C/D. I drive trains now. :yawn:

Maybe also a built in driver for TrackIR.

Natural Point would likely prevent that from happening.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Jumping in late, so by editing the Input/Config lua, I can force the sim into using a 3-way switch or "upon release"?

Yes. If you look at the A-10C Plug-n-Play lua for the TM Warthog, you can see what ED did for the switches there.

..\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Input\A-10C\joystick\Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua

Yes. If you look at the A-10C Plug-n-Play lua for the TM Warthog, you can see what ED did for the switches there.

..\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Input\A-10C\joystick\Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua

Which is sad, that the functionality is there... but no-one bothered to use it on their products...

• 3 months later...

+ 1000

This has to be one of the biggest frustration with the controls is that the A-10C is AMAZING with it's switchology, short press, long press, etc and after experiencing it, you just want it in all the aircraft!

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]