Season, temperature, terrain conflict

Before 1.5 was released we had the option to change the season separately from the date, this was actually a good thing i think. Even in winter the temperatures in Georgia can easily hit 10 or even close to 20 degrees celsius. The next samples show the 'problem' with temperature, season and how the terrain looks like. Maybe the separate season option wasn't so bad after all.

2lbdsmr.jpg

2ajrfp2.jpg

2d6sbdj.jpg

-

If man were meant to fly he'd be filled with helium.

That's not the point, there's snow when you set the temperature to 20 degrees for example... kinda unrealistic.

Oh, I don't know about that. I've been out snowshoeing in shorts and a T-shirt with the temps up in that range. Depends on how much snow is on the ground and how many hours/days the temp sits up there.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Of course, but you can't say it's winter so there's snow. We had the option to set the season to fall for example when you didn't want snow in your winter mission. Assuming the temperature has been too high for too long.

-

If man were meant to fly he'd be filled with helium.

Of course, but you can't say it's winter so there's snow. We had the option to set the season to fall for example when you didn't want snow in your winter mission. Assuming the temperature has been too high for too long.

Guess I'm not understanding the problem. Setting the month to a winter month gets you snow with whatever temp you set. Setting it to an autumn month gets you no snow but autumn coloration instead. Prior to this, didn't selecting winter give you snow and fall give you autumnal coloration? Admittedly, I don't play around with this stuff much. So I could be way off base.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Guess I'm not understanding the problem. Setting the month to a winter month gets you snow with whatever temp you set. Setting it to an autumn month gets you no snow but autumn coloration instead. Prior to this, didn't selecting winter give you snow and fall give you autumnal coloration? Admittedly, I don't play around with this stuff much. So I could be way off base.

Earlier you could select the season independently from the month you selected. So if you simulate a warm winter and wanted the ground textures to look like autumn, you could just set the season to autumn and still have the game display January for example.

Now the season is determined only by the month.

I'm all abord the OP with this. In Finland it is nowadays very common to have little or no snow at all in the south until mid winter, and we are way up north compared to the Caucasus region.

Also if you fly a campaign that spans over the season change, it feels very odd to have sudden snow if the mission designers never intended that to happen. And vice versa during spring.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Is it really so difficult to select a warmer moth to represent non-winter conditions? Once you're in the cockpit, what difference does it make if the mission planner says it is September when you are flying in December without snow? Long term, yes it needs to be addressed, but isn't it a little insignificant right now?

Surely there are far more important considerations than that.

Is it really so difficult to select a warmer moth to represent non-winter conditions? Once you're in the cockpit, what difference does it make if the mission planner says it is September when you are flying in December without snow? Long term, yes it needs to be addressed, but isn't it a little insignificant right now?

Surely there are far more important considerations than that.

Yes, there are a lot of more important considerations. But does that then mean we aren't allowed to report the minor ones?

It's not like we are urging to fix this as the first thing this friday.

Earlier you could select the season independently from the month you selected. So if you simulate a warm winter and wanted the ground textures to look like autumn, you could just set the season to autumn and still have the game display January for example.

Now the season is determined only by the month.

I'm all abord the OP with this. In Finland it is nowadays very common to have little or no snow at all in the south until mid winter, and we are way up north compared to the Caucasus region.

Also if you fly a campaign that spans over the season change, it feels very odd to have sudden snow if the mission designers never intended that to happen. And vice versa during spring.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

I guess this is more a wish, then, than an actual issue. You and the OP are requesting the ability to have autumn textures in June or July (if you so desired) rather than having the textures tied to specific months. Or am I still not understanding? Though I guess that last point would be an issue, if the mission designer isn't paying attention.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

I guess this is more a wish, then, than an actual issue. You and the OP are requesting the ability to have autumn textures in June or July (if you so desired) rather than having the textures tied to specific months.

The way I read it, they are requesting to be able to do this again - the ability having been removed at some point.

If it used to be possible, it might still be possible by editing the mission files manually.

The way I read it, they are requesting to be able to do this again - the ability having been removed at some point.

If it used to be possible, it might still be possible by editing the mission files manually.

Correct. This was still possible some around six months ago.

Not a big issue, but it was in fact more flexible as it was previously.