HOTAS Cougar software on a modern Windows

Rudel_chw

15 minutes ago, snafu13 said:

my problem is, on the throttle the axis is reversed; the minimum positions reads as maximum, and moves down to minimum as the throttle handle is advanced to maximum. when i open the hotas cougar control panel, there is a 10s delay and the attached image shows up. i cannot make any changes to the throttle axis as the CCP does not seem to detect the device ...

Hi, More info please ... your Cougar was working fine and then one day you got this issue? .. or you purchased it secodn hand and are trying to setup it for the first time?

I'm asking because there are some Cougars being sold second hand with modified hardware, for example the Throttle is fitted with a USB adapter and conected directly to the PC, instead of being connected to the Joystick. Those modified Cougars can not use the original Thrustmaster Software and behave like generic Joysticks, that have to be configured with the standard Windows control panel.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks much for responding. 

I bought thus new 15 years ago, in days of win XP. I have not tried to use it since about 2012; now I've built a new rig and brought it out of storage. Never altered in any way. I initially tried to use on the new win10 rig, including holding trigger to clear firmware. I could not get anything to work until I put TM software on win8 pc and reinstalled firmware. Now I am getting the noted problem. 

12 hours ago, snafu13 said:

I bought thus new 15 years ago, in days of win XP. I have not tried to use it since about 2012; now I've built a new rig and brought it out of storage. Never altered in any way. I initially tried to use on the new win10 rig, including holding trigger to clear firmware. I could not get anything to work until I put TM software on win8 pc and reinstalled firmware. Now I am getting the noted problem. 

OK, if the device is still original then I see only two possible causes for this issue: 

1) The firmware was installed wrongly, this may occur as the firmware software was not designed for neither Windows 8 nor Windows 10. I usually recommend not doing any firmware updates, as there has not been any new firmware since 2003 and thus most likely the current firmware on the device is already the latest.

2) A hardware fault.

To diagnose the latter, please try the Hotas again but with the throttle unit disconnected. If the Cougar Control Panel now recognizes the device it would mean the problem lies on the throttle or the cable that connects it with the joystick. A hardware fault within the throttle can't be diagnosed remotely, but you can apply contact cleanin spray on both ends of the cable and on the unit's ports, to make sure that the connection is good, as a device on storage for a long time can get its contact pins corroded.

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Ok, let's assume it's #1 (but I'll do both things). When it didn't work initially that's when I tried the win 8 and it told me to update the firmware. So if this is the problem, how can I put back the original 2003 firmware? Is it a file I can download and install directly?

6 minutes ago, snafu13 said:

... how can I put back the original 2003 firmware? Is it a file I can download and install directly?

Please, discard first option (2) above, as upgrading firmware using old utility software is not really reccomended. 

The Firmware updater is a software tool that cames within the Cougar driver, look for it within the /Program Files/Hotas/ folder, it is called HOTASupdate.exe   You may have to run it in Admin mode (right click the file and select Properties -> compatibility tab

The update should be done with the Throttle disconnected. Here is a waktrough:

http://cougar.flyfoxy.com/foxyflash.php

WOOOO HOOOO! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME! the throttle axis was still a little wonky, but at least w CCP recognizing i could recalibrate it. (for any others reading this in future, the walkthrough linked mentions version 1.05, but the updater installs 3.00.6 revB...and all is well with this)

if you have time for one more question, like many i did not like the joystick axis "clunk" but never got around to changing to hall sensors. i have another joystick i am using now, so only need the throttle (i am using the cougar grip on a virpil base). when i look at the viewer, all joystick buttons show red as if activated.

if i don't map them to anything, will this make any difference? alternately, is there a way to deactivate the joystick buttons so they don't show at all? like you asked initially, i have not converted the throttle to use usb so still need the joystick in the mix.

Edited by snafu13

37 minutes ago, snafu13 said:

WOOOO HOOOO! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME! the throttle axis was still a little wonky, but at least w CCP recognizing i could recalibrate it.

Hi, I'm really glad that reinstalling the firmware worked this time 👍

38 minutes ago, snafu13 said:

if you have time for one more question, like many i did not like the joystick axis "clunk" but never got around to changing to hall sensors.

If you are referring to the clicking noise that the throttle produces when going from OFF to IDLE and from MIL to AB, then that noise is not produced by the potentiometer, but by small ridges on the throtle mechanism. Here is an article that describes how to modify the throttle to eliminate those ridges if you want:

http://cougar.flyfoxy.com/mods.php#detents

If you are going to the trouble of opening the throttle, you might as well replace the old potentiometer with a hall sensor manufactured by the user @rel4y  .. they are pretty inexpensive and the improvement in axis response is well worth it, you will aprreciate it when doing Air-Air refueling and formation flying.

44 minutes ago, snafu13 said:

i have another joystick i am using now, so only need the throttle (i am using the cougar grip on a virpil base). when i look at the viewer, all joystick buttons show red as if activated. if i don't map them to anything, will this make any difference?

Most likely not, just dont bind them to anything within DCS. 

46 minutes ago, snafu13 said:

alternately, is there a way to deactivate the joystick buttons so they don't show at all? like you asked initially, i have not converted the throttle to use usb so still need the joystick in the mix.

No, there is no way to deactivate them (that I know of). I wouldn't convert the Throttle to USB, as there will came a time when you may want to trade-in the Cougar and it is worth more if it is in original condition. 🙂

Best regards,

Eduardo

• 4 months later...
On 1/17/2017 at 5:48 PM, Rudel_chw said:

These links no longer work, is there a way to reconnect to the 4 year old content?

On 1/18/2017 at 2:32 PM, Rudel_chw said:

That's the beauty of Foxy: it's powerful but without being complicated

You just described the contribution of James "Nutty" Hallows as perfectly as I've seen.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2021 at 2:01 AM, Edbert said:

You just described the contribution of James "Nutty" Hallows as perfectly as I've seen.

Ahhh, Nutty, been a long time since I seen him, an eccentric dentist if I remember right 😉

Aye fond memories, now what did I do with my Foxy patches 😄

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

On 12/1/2021 at 10:01 PM, Edbert said:

These links no longer work, is there a way to reconnect to the 4 year old content?

No sorry, I deleted those files because they were obsolete and no longer worked correctly with the current DCS.

I'm new to DCS but like you I did the Falcon 4 with the TM Cougar setup. I'm jumping back into flight sims with DCS and I'm looking for a new HOTAS.  Your post caught my eye as I have my old Cougar in a box in storage.  When I put it away, life changes, one of the hats on the throttle was not behaving.  I see you have revived your Cougar HOTAS. That would sure save a chunk of change if I could do the same. Do you know of a source for TM Cougar?

59 minutes ago, OldDog72 said:

Your post caught my eye as I have my old Cougar in a box in storage.  When I put it away, life changes, one of the hats on the throttle was not behaving. 

The Cougar throttle has two Hats: The top one, I'm not sure if Thrustmaster still has spares, its Part Number is 5074754 description "Coolie HAT "Radio Switch" TQS-16" .. contact them at this link https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/contact-en/ (you have to create an account).

The bottom one is the "Microstick" and TM does not have it anymore. Fortunately, the user @rel4y manufactures a replacement that is more precise and durable than the original, contact him on this thread: 

You may also want to purchase rel4y's new potentiometers and replace the ones your Cougar currently has, they are very easy to install and pretty inexpensive.

Best regards,

Eduardo

• Like 1

Hi Rudel, very interesting and good explanation to configure the TM Cougar.  I just restarted DCS after a 10 year brake 😉. I followed all your steps but everytime it says, ERROR 1008: Device error.  But when i'm looking to calibrate it in de windows software i have no problem and can do the job.  I installed all latest files as you mentioned. Dunno anymore what to do, because i'm sure the total hotas works fine and could fly with the general axis without compiling the buttoms. Hopely you can help me out and so i can start the whole procedure for the F-16C learning curve 😉

I'm on windows 11, with a total new system.

Thanks, 

Ross

Configuration:  

Windows 11 Home/ Intel Core i9-12900FRTX 3080 10 GB/ 64GB DDR4-3200/ 2 TB m.2 NVMe/ HP Reverb G2/V2/ Thrustmaster Cougar Hotas/ 

INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT@ross_impress • Instagram-foto's en -video's  (everything about the real flying world, drone and DCS)

23 minutes ago, Ross-impress said:

I'm on windows 11, with a total new system.

Hi,

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Windows 11, so I can't tell if this is a compatibility issue or not.  However, calibrating the Cougar using the generic Windows driver is not reccomended, you should calibrate it with the Thristmaster software .. but I know it is hard to do if said software can¡t communicate with the Hotas.

I'm attaching the calibration procedure, but it seems to me that you will need to first run the HOTASCleanse.exe utility to erase the registry data that the windows calibration generated. Please read the Cougar manual (Chapter 5) carefully, as it is a rather involved process, before running that utility.

DO NOT try to update the Cougar firmware ... 99.99% of the times it will not help at all and it is risky to do it on an unsupported version of Windows.

Eduardo

Calibrating the Cougar.doc

• Like 1

Foxy software works fine, but i can't connect to my Cougar. Each time i start up the Hotas Cougar Control Panel it says, E2: Ensure that the device is connected and worked properly.

The only strange thing for me is that windows recognized the stick and it's possible to see the movements, axis and buttoms..

Configuration:  

Windows 11 Home/ Intel Core i9-12900FRTX 3080 10 GB/ 64GB DDR4-3200/ 2 TB m.2 NVMe/ HP Reverb G2/V2/ Thrustmaster Cougar Hotas/ 

INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT@ross_impress • Instagram-foto's en -video's  (everything about the real flying world, drone and DCS)

26 minutes ago, Ross-impress said:

Foxy software works fine, but i can't connect to my Cougar. Each time i start up the Hotas Cougar Control Panel it says, E2: Ensure that the device is connected and worked properly.

Unfortunately, I dont know why it isnt working for you, on my rig my CCP says "device ready":

UKjzLAY.jpg

Did you tried the HOTASCleanse utility to erase the default windows calibration?

I'm on Win 11 and the Cougar is working fine (almost) on that, one axis on the micro stick on the throttle is a bit short on range just means it goes slower left/right, apart from that Win 11 has recognised it and CCP works 

Edit:  just had a flight and the microstick was working just fine 

I have changed out the pots in the joystick and throttle with the @Rel4y replacement magnetoresistive sensors, they are working great as the x axis in the joystick was spiking really badly.

CCP1.jpg

Edited by Alicatt
  • Like 1

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Hi all, new update 😉

First, i deleted the firmware on the stick, reinstall the Hotas Cougar control panel software (incl Foxy) update Foxy with 4.2 beta. 

Restart the computer, going to device manager, look for the cougar input and reinstall the drivers. Restart computer and everything gives respons.

The only thing i have, after some hours of flying, i lost again contact on the flightstick, so no inputs again, pull out and in the usb from the cougar and it works again.

Still need some testings, maybe everything stays normal.

Edited by Ross-impress
  • Like 2

Configuration:  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 9:14 AM, ***Waxer*** said:

A big thanks topic. Had my USB TM HOTAS Cougar working in the sim, except for the RDR CURSOR microstick. Going thru the steps in the first posts got it working quickly. Thanks for this!

Waxer

Yes same for me, all working fine except the microstick...

Waxer if you fixed it, you let me know please, i'm still searching ....

Configuration:  

• 1 year later...

Hi all.

If any of you have the original Hotas Cougar and wish to get it working on a modern Windows, lets say 10 or 11, here is my suggestion:

Get yourself a Thrustmaster Magnetic Base which has a very decent precison, your original Cougar base gimbals should be pretty weared out anyway.

Hopefully your Cougar grip should be fine, apart from some pilled off paint, and it will work flawlessly on the new magnetic base.

Your original Cougar base will be your interface for the throttle and pedals (in case you have some old gameport setup).

64bit Cougar drivers are still available and will get your old stick back to business on Windows 10 or 11.

In the Hotas Cougar Control Panel assign the Microstick axxis to your X and Y axxis (remember Windows will only see 8 axxis, and a complete Cougar setup with rudders and toe brakes will have 10). This way you will have a perfectly working analogue Microstick. Your X and Y stick axxis will come from your new magnetic base, which is a new device on its own.

You will now see two devices on you windows game controllers window - one will be the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar, and the other a Joystick - HOTAS Warthog as this is the name provided by the new magnetic base.

Assign your all your buttons and axxis as you would normally ingame, and you are good to go. Alternatively, if you want to do more fancy stuff, you can use the Foxy or Target software, but you don't need it if you want to do a simple one button to one function assignement. Nevertheless, I personaly use the Target Script Editor which is much more powerfull and easier to use, once you understand the programming sintax.

Anyway, this is my suggestion to get your Cougar vintage gear working 100% on a modern system, no compromises. Of course, the magnetic base costs about 130€/160$, but you can't compare this investment with buying an actual same quality Hotas system, specially if your Cougar is still in good working condition.

(Not sure if anyone already suggested this, it's a long thread, anyway, this is tested and working in DCS, Windows 11)

Cheers!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 9:45 PM, Muas said:

Hi all.

If any of you have the original Hotas Cougar and wish to get it working on a modern Windows, lets say 10 or 11, here is my suggestion:

Get yourself a Thrustmaster Magnetic Base which has a very decent precison, your original Cougar base gimbals should be pretty weared out anyway.

Hopefully your Cougar grip should be fine, apart from some pilled off paint, and it will work flawlessly on the new magnetic base.

Your original Cougar base will be your interface for the throttle and pedals (in case you have some old gameport setup).

64bit Cougar drivers are still available and will get your old stick back to business on Windows 10 or 11.

In the Hotas Cougar Control Panel assign the Microstick axxis to your X and Y axxis (remember Windows will only see 8 axxis, and a complete Cougar setup with rudders and toe brakes will have 10). This way you will have a perfectly working analogue Microstick. Your X and Y stick axxis will come from your new magnetic base, which is a new device on its own.

You will now see two devices on you windows game controllers window - one will be the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar, and the other a Joystick - HOTAS Warthog as this is the name provided by the new magnetic base.

Assign your all your buttons and axxis as you would normally ingame, and you are good to go. Alternatively, if you want to do more fancy stuff, you can use the Foxy or Target software, but you don't need it if you want to do a simple one button to one function assignement. Nevertheless, I personaly use the Target Script Editor which is much more powerfull and easier to use, once you understand the programming sintax.

Anyway, this is my suggestion to get your Cougar vintage gear working 100% on a modern system, no compromises. Of course, the magnetic base costs about 130€/160$, but you can't compare this investment with buying an actual same quality Hotas system, specially if your Cougar is still in good working condition.

(Not sure if anyone already suggested this, it's a long thread, anyway, this is tested and working in DCS, Windows 11)

Cheers!

Not a bad idea, but then I would rather suggest to get a Virpil base, (the Warthog base is also pretty much rubbish in this day and age). Myself have ordered this:

Have already used @rel4y's conversion kit for my Cougar TQS, and the old TM pedals are super rubbish, so I have got myself some Slaws.

Cheers!

• Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 10:45 PM, MAXsenna said:

Not a bad idea, but then I would rather suggest to get a Virpil base, (the Warthog base is also pretty much rubbish in this day and age).

Most probably yes, but the the Virpil base also cost nearly two times the price of the TM. The TM base seems precise enough when new, now if it keeps that degree of precision through time and wear, I can't tell...

Have already used @rel4y's conversion kit for my Cougar TQS, and the old TM pedals are super rubbish, so I have got myself some Slaws.

It's good to know there good options available to keep Cougars in shape.

I opted for a center fix to the floor with a 20cm extension, on top of a 22cm pedestal, together with my old Simped rudders which are perfect for center sticks as they have the pedals very wide apart allowing for free side stick movement. TQS and rudders connect to my old Cougar stick base as interface for usb. Every axis/button working analog, including microstick. For aircrafts with afterburner I use Target just to program the AB detent, using a button as finger lift, because I'm not using the TQS mechanic detents for the time being (they are a bit to noisy for night simming). I just hope this setup lasts cause it's perfect for me. I fly a lot of WWII and early jets, so the stick to the floor adds a totally new feel.