HOTAS Cougar software on a modern Windows

Rudel_chw

hey guys, does anyone have this issue where restarting the cougar does not keep the previous manual calibration?

every time i restart my computer or disconnect the cougar, i have to open CCP, go to the calibration tab and select "manual calibration".

only then it will operate in manual calibration mode.

it does not matter what settings i put in the startup options area (user mode, manual calibration, select profile to be loaded and click save)... it always returns to auto calibration on startup.

Hello I repaired two old Cougar that I bought from Ebay recently and the two have this same issue. I tried on Windows 10 64, Windows 7 32 and an old laptop with Windows XP. When I unplug the Joystick, I need to click "manual calibration" to use the micro stick. Did you solved this issue ?

Guys, if anyone has a profile for Foxy A10C 2, please give me bad English, I don't understand foxy (((

I have one that I started on this weekend. It is functional, PM me

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

You have to download your profile into the Cougar, not in Foxy.

And what is dks (all those abbreviations...:cry:)?

You can always create your own...

Unless Im missing something, I dont agree. You have to download the profile into Foxy. and from within Foxy, you upload it into your HOTAS

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

... When I unplug the Joystick, I need to click "manual calibration" to use the micro stick. Did you solved this issue ?

I must admit that I almost never unplug my Cougar, so no, I do not have this issue.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Unless Im missing something, I dont agree. You have to download the profile into Foxy. and from within Foxy, you upload it into your HOTAS

Not really, you can upload the profile onto the Cougar from within the Cougar Control Panel, without using Foxy:

fgDnynK.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Ohh,, sorry, I misunderstood what you were trying to tell him. I thought you were trying to tell him he could upload direct into the HOTAS through other means Like Windows or something. Thanks for the correction sir!

Hello I repaired two old Cougar that I bought from Ebay recently and the two have this same issue. I tried on Windows 10 64, Windows 7 32 and an old laptop with Windows XP. When I unplug the Joystick, I need to click "manual calibration" to use the micro stick. Did you solved this issue ?

Whenever power is disconnected from the Cougar it loses calibration. Does anyone know how to retrieve a saved calibration file? The CCP app has no calibration file search function and the calibration file window is always blank.

Whenever power is disconnected from the Cougar it loses calibration. Does anyone know how to retrieve a saved calibration file? The CCP app has no calibration file search function and the calibration file window is always blank.

Hello, do you launch the CCP in administrator mode ? The calibration guide is provided inside the HOTAS folder C:\Program Files (x86)\HOTAS\Calibrating the Cougar.doc

Hello, do you launch the CCP in administrator mode ? The calibration guide is provided inside the HOTAS folder C:\Program Files (x86)\HOTAS\Calibrating the Cougar.doc

Launching CCP in Admin mode makes no difference and the only relevant folder on Programs Files (x86) is Target. I see the saved calibration files in the Cougar\Calib folder, but the calibration file window in CCP is always blank.

Launching CCP in Admin mode makes no difference and the only relevant folder on Programs Files (x86) is Target. I see the saved calibration files in the Cougar\Calib folder, but the calibration file window in CCP is always blank.

Maybe installing both Target and the Cougar software meses up the latter .. I have only installed the Cougar drivers and the Foxy software, and the CCP does work on my PC:

Aqrowqe.jpg

Target is not the default programming software for the Cougar. Did you installed your Cougar as discribed in this post : https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/dcs-world-topics/input-and-output/thrustmaster-aa/181157-hotas-cougar-software-on-a-modern-windows?t=181049

When you install the Thrustmaster software it suggest you the path C:\Program Files (x86)\HOTAS\ . In this folder, you find several software including the CCP, Foxy and the "Calibrating the Cougar.doc"

This thread from Rudel initially helped me to be able to install the Cougar software on my Win10 pc. However, somehow whatever I tried, the axis calibration was always completely messed up. Axis started responding while giving input to other axis (like when I used the throttle z-axis I also saw my microstick axis give output, when I rotated one of the slider axis, my throttle axis range was suddenly reduced, and all kind of other shenanigans). I used the CCP software and literally tried recalibrating hundreds of times, trying both manual and auto calibration.

I noticed that when I disconnected the throttle, my stick functioned very well, so I decided to do the throttle USB standalone mod from our community member Rel4y.

And now, with the use of this super simple calibration tool called DIView, I don't need any TM software to use my old Cougar! Bye bye CCP, so long Foxy :harhar:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Maybe installing both Target and the Cougar software meses up the latter .. I have only installed the Cougar drivers and the Foxy software, and the CCP does work on my PC:

I have not installed Target. After I manually calibrate the Cougar my CCP app initially looks like yours; however, if I close, then reopen, the CCP I can find no calibration file. Can you? If so, what is path to your files?

I have not installed Target. After I manually calibrate the Cougar my CCP app initially looks like yours; however, if I close, then reopen, the CCP I can find no calibration file. Can you? If so, what is path to your files?

Yes, I can, this is the path where the file resides:

RCxYEU6.jpg

Your above phrase "the only relevant folder on Programs Files (x86) is Target." was what led me to think that you may have had both TM softwares installed, as the Cougar is compatible with Target.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, this my first post on this forum. 🙂

Recently I've revived my old Cougar back to use, so I'll share a bit of info for users that could be having issues with CCP Startup Options not being properly applied, specially after completely turning off your computer + power strip and the Cougar stops receiving power, so it won't retain previous settings after a cold boot (or even after a soft reboot if that USB port cycles power during the restart). By then, the first time you start its CCP, you'll see stuff like Manual Calibration reverted to Auto Calibration.

This will happen because after setting HOTASConfig.exe to run with admin privileges under W10 via compatibility tab, then all startup options won't be properly applied at log in due to the lack of UAC elevation as it relies on a simple Run command (which was OK back in XP). You can quickly see its presence on Task Manager, Startup tab, when non default options have been saved for Startup Options:

run_task.png.5272f4e545843aed2d2838dfc74d9d73.png

The way HOTASConfig.exe applies Startup Options, is by the moment you press "Save" it creates a new startup task in registry with current settings in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run , named HOTASMode. This will run once the control panel exe on background after user log in with a string of arguments like in my case for Axis response in user mode, Emulation Off, Manual Calibration, and the automatic loading of a Axis shaping profile. This would look like:

1_reg.thumb.png.d7503f1506f0df2e838d9afd0377b295.png

"C:\Program Files (x86)\HOTAS\HOTASConfig.exe" /MODE /FOXY /AU /DM /BW "/PC:\Program Files (x86)\HOTAS\Profiles\VFS.tmc" if you press "Save" after the CCP is set as:

current_cp.png.1554a944db85144785e0d8a41122f8ed.png

So, if you want to have it properly applied after Windows Log in when HOTASConfig.exe has been set to use admin permissions, the easiest way is to create a new task to run the same command at user log in under Task Scheduler, allowing it to run with elevated permissions.

To do so, just set it to "Run with highest privileges" on the General tab, for Triggers use "At log on" for your User, on Actions set it to "Start a Program" pointing to "C:\Program Files (x86)\HOTAS\HOTASConfig.exe" and then on the arguments set the same ones for as on your registry's HOTASMode above, /MODE /FOXY /AU /DM /BW "/PC:\Program Files (x86)\HOTAS\Profiles\VFS.tmc" in my example, then optionally on Conditions uncheck the only run on AC power stuff. Remember that every time you press "Save" on CCP with new startup options, you should verify the changes to the HOTASMode registry entry and update them to your log in task that should always mimic it.

task_1.png.b89740162f8d214ea953f06c68d92cd6.png task_2.png.d7e3d9a93823799da00752b2ed33c6dd.png task_3.png.ddf947c77c1f307baf642ecc01570331.png task_4.png.a1ac2fde699c6b5b010b8d4b4fd9d357.png

By then, it should start applying your Startup Options properly just after you log in to windows. Remember this happens only at user log in, not when you unplug/re-plug your stick under windows, or press the "Restart Device" button on the control panel (by then it'll revert to Auto Calibration, which is expected).

When HOTASConfig.exe isn't set to run in admin mode on it's Compatibility tab, it won't fail to apply these settings at startup, but things can get very messy because as it won't be able to write files to C:\Program Files (x86)\HOTAS anymore by lacking permissions, Windows will then redirect it silently to C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\HOTAS\ so you'll have different files with the same name on both folders with the one under VirtualStore having priority. All files written under VirtualStore\ then will show for this program as if they were under C:\Program Files (x86)\HOTAS, mixed with its real contents, even if they don't match with the real existing ones.

The same goes for Foxy if you don't start it in admin mode. So, it's really best for all of these older programs that write directly to Program Files (x86)\HOTAS to force them to use admin mode on their compatibility tabs to avoid having them write to paths under VirtualStore instead of the real HOTAS\ folders.

Unfortunately the drivers installer only allows you to change the Start Menu folder for shortcuts, not the drivers installation folder that will always be C:\Program Files (x86)\HOTAS. Else, all of this trouble could've been avoided on a modern OS just by selecting a folder that doesn't require write permissions. Manually moving stuff might not be a good idea if the original locations are hard coded for regular operation, and that could explain the lack of folder destination option during install.

Hope this is of any use, Cheers!

Edited by AlleyViper
resized images back to thumbnail size for new forum

Hi, this my first post on this forum. :)

Recently I've revived my old Cougar back to use, so I'll share a bit of info for users that could be having issues with CCP Startup Options not being properly applied ....

Hope this is of any use, Cheers!

Hello,

Thanks a lot for such a detailed post. I don't really make use of custom startup options so I have not had to face this kind of issues, but it is good to know.

What I did found out is the nastiness of having Foxy store documents on the Program Files path, but I bypassed the issue in another way, placing its "Files" and "Layouts" on another part of the File System (actually, I placed them on a Cloud drive) and using the mklink command to make this invisible to Foxy, it looks like this:

QEioVMO.jpg

Anyway, thanks for addign your knowledge onto this thread :smartass:

Best regards,

Eduardo

• Like 1

That's also a good approach if you don't always force Foxy to run in admin mode, thanks for sharing it. I'd be wary of using it right for the whole HOTAS folder and it's driver-related program contents, but for those default profile folders it should be safe. On my installation the foxy software I run (forced as admin on compat tab) is also under HOTAS\Foxy.exe because I'm using Foxy 4.4.02 included with 2007_HCO_VISTA_64_RC1.exe that goes to the same forced main folder, hence my only mentions above of Program Files (x86)\HOTAS and not Program Files (x86)\Foxy (stand-alone v4.0 installation folder).

And btw, regarding that and the OP instructions, there's one step I don't understand the purpose. After installing 2007_HCO_VISTA_64_RC1.exe, you then suggest installing Foxy separately from Foxyv4.zip and then update to Foxy42beta.zip. The thing is that version is older than the one already included with drivers, that is 4.4.02 dated from 2007 instead of 4.2 Beta from 2006.

IIRC those older Foxy zips were intended as an update after installing the older driver bundle (3_HCO_2004.exe) under XP.

Best regards, and thank you for this invaluable reference thread

... And btw, regarding that and the OP instructions, there's one step I don't understand the purpose. After installing 2007_HCO_VISTA_64_RC1.exe, you then suggest installing Foxy separately from Foxyv4.zip and then update to Foxy42beta.zip. The thing is that version is older than the one already included with drivers, that is 4.4.02 dated from 2007 instead of 4.2 Beta from 2006.

I wasn't aware that the 2007 drivers already include Foxy .. I haven't reinstalled my Cougar software in a long while, but from what I remember the driver install didn't include Foxy ... I may be wrong, as it is years since my last reinstall and my memory isn't all that good anymore :(

Cheers,

Eduardo

Yes, 2007_HCO_VISTA_64_RC1.exe already includes a newer Foxy 4.4.02 that is automatically installed under the C:\Program Files (x86)\HOTAS along with additional joystick/macros for various games under C:\Program Files (x86)\HOTAS\Files, hence my comment above :). I could confirm it on a very recent install.

@Rudel_chw An update: My memory also isn't the best when it comes to 15 y.o. HW, so I had to double check on my driver backup folders. Everything else other than the 2007 package was under a separate folder named as "old", I guess because it wasn't needed anymore.

To dig further, I've just installed 3_HCO_2004.exe (the old XP driver) on a VM, and unlike the 2007 package, it doesn't include/install any Foxy version. So for that previous version, you'd then have to install Foxy 4.0+4.2b on top, also MultiDevices.zip if needed (the 2007 package also includes a newer version of MultiDevices.exe), and optionally Foxyv4FSSP.exe for the additional Foxy profiles for various games (which 2007 already includes under HOTAS\Files). The only exe the 2007 package seem to miss that was available as a separate download before, was FoxyDX8Kb4.3.zip (Foxy's DX8 Key Tester Version 4.3, a direct file update to be placed on the Foxy 4.0+4.2b folder), but it can't be run under W10; unlike Foxy 4.0, 2007's Foxy 4.4.02 doesn't include any FoxyDX8*.exe files anymore.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello. 

Can anyone help me pls with the Cougar HOTAS.  I followed all steps from the First post but I have the following problem.

All buttons are gray I can do nothing no calibration etc.

Maybe anyone can help me.

ScreenShot_20210528183837.png

ScreenShot_20210528183846.png

6 minutes ago, Survival said:

Hello. 

Can anyone help me pls with the Cougar HOTAS.  I followed all steps from the First post but I have the following problem.

All buttons are gray I can do nothing no calibration etc.

Maybe anyone can help me.

ScreenShot_20210528183837.png

Your windows has not detected the Cougar .. I imagine that you tried other USB ports, isnt it?  .. when you connect the Cougar does Windows produce its typical USB connection sound?  Your Cougar was working fine previously, or it's the first time you try it? 

10 minutes ago, Survival said:

The cougar is connected I can fly with it and I can bind all keys. but I need the RDR slew for the F16

Its the first time I try it. I unboxed it few hours ago.

It is very strange .. what do you see on Windows' Device Manager?  It should show the Cougar DATA devices without yellow symbols, like this:

aPl4GfQ.jpg

• 2 months later...

hi,

i have followed the directions exactly in the first post to install the driver and then foxy- i even have tried many compatibility variations (vista, vista sp2, etc), and now have the recommended version installed again.

the drivers seem to install fine, and foxy opens. the joystick and throttle are detected, by foxy at least. i can open the  "hotas view to test axes and buttons" window and see all axes movements and button pushes there.

my problem is, on the throttle the axis is reversed; the minimum positions reads as maximum, and moves down to minimum as the throttle handle is advanced to maximum. when i open the hotas cougar control panel, there is a 10s delay and the attached image shows up. i cannot make any changes to the throttle axis as the CCP does not seem to detect the device, even though foxy does and i can read all axes and switches from the "hotas view to test axes and buttons" window.

as a side note, i have an old windows 8.1 laptop and i installed the same software there (using different instructions for that OS), and almost the exact same thing happens; the throttle is detected and the axis is reversed, but on the 8.1 machine the device is detected (no error window comes up) and on the CCP i can click the "+/-" square and it reverses the axis to normal.

is there anything else i can try to correct this?

thanks for any help

EF

device error.PNG

Edited by snafu13
add info