First start, throttle problem

Gamer82

Hi all,

i just started triyng to use the KA-50. At the moment im still learnig how to start up the engines. But i got a little problem. In key and axis mapping i have set up my slider for the throttle control. But when in game instead of increasing the collective, when moving the slider i change the engines differentials. I tied to remap the slider but it doesent work. Anyone got a solution?

Thanks!

Okay have you mapped both the collective and throttle to the same control?

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

You really do not need to map the throttle as for the most part you will want it on auto anyway.

I just use the keyboard command to set my throttle to auto prior to start up and leave it there.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The throttle is more of an engine mode selector than anything.

During startup it's left at idle, after the engines are running put it to the flight (middle) position. If you have an engine failure or just want more power, put it all the way up for emergency power. In other words, you can leave the throttle on your keyboard and get along just fine.

The collective is used to control rotor thrust under all flight conditions.

• Like 1

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

The throttle and differentials are mapped differently in the key menu. Differential use pgup and pgdow and throttle + and - i think. I triend also to clear al the key setting ang put on axis insteand of slider but doesnt work.

@PocketSized: do you neam you dont never use collective controls?

For the KA-50 (game), in-game you hit Esc and pause menu will come up, you want Adjust Controls, that page will come up. On your top left, choose "KA-50. (Game) and then next to that, choose "search". Type Collective, the controls will be visible across your devices. You'll see inputs in probably several and the default inputs will be incorrect you want to highlight the ones on your stick, clear them, then on your throttle column, clear that too then click Add, and then input. It'll bring up available axis controls. You'll need to know which axis is the throttle slider ( you didn't say what controls you have) on my Warthog the correct input is the RX (JOY_RX) and so Id click that choice. That's the axis for the right throttle. (I have a left and right throttle) and also the default assigned the left throttle as a rudder axis, so I found that field and cleared it as well. ( it was conflicting with other inputs and caused most of my issues at first with getting started.) now both my throttles can act as a single throttle, because, easier. You might browse down in "all" and check everything, default assigned a weird bunch of duplicates that made no sense and served only to confuse me further. I cleared what I needed to and left the stick controls on the stick, throttle controls on the throttle, and moved them to my liking for the game. You can go back and forth and do this during the game and edit on the fly. Also, every time you return to Adjust Controls, make sure you are in the KA-50 (game) controls before you edit. It likes to default to the KA-50(SIM) control panel.

I've only been at this a week, and I'm struggling mightily in other areas, but I hope that helps.

Edited by Onedef1

@PocketSized: do you neam you dont never use collective controls?

Other way around. Always use collective for thrust control, throttle is only used during startup usually.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

I tried to use the "search" option. I searched for throttle and collective. I got a Airrow joysitck so dont have a separate throttle but i slider on my joystick. I cleared all axis and commands that where assigned to throttle and collective and tried to put the throttle command on the slider but it doesnt work.

I need that left handle that moves up and down to when i move my slider. If correct that should make the KA-50 goes up and down. I suppose this is the throttle command. It should give the engine more power like in planes right?

But when i assign throttle to my RZ axis (that is the slider) instead of moving that handle, i move the two sticks on the left (collective differential) and not the throttle.

Throttle ("Differential engines control handle" in the manual): the two small levers with the yellow handle. Controls the engine's power output.

Collective: the large handle with the switches-box at the end. Controls "collectively" the angle of attack of all blades. Controls the lift that the rotor produces; makes the helo go up and down.

Cyclic: the stick between your knees. Sets the angle of attack of the blades only at a specific position during their rotation ("as it cycles around"). Tilts the direction of the lift the rotor produces; makes the helo bank to the sides or pitch it's nose up and down.

edit:

As mentioned before, the engine output is normally managed by the helo itself, no need to adjust it manually (except for very special cases). To maneuver the helo, you only use Cyclic, Collective and the Anti Torque pedals ("rudder pedals").

Throttle ("Differential engines control handle" in the manual): the two small levers with the yellow handle. Controls the engine's power output.

Collective: the large handle with the switches-box at the end. Controls "collectively" the angle of attack of all blades. Controls the lift that the rotor produces; makes the helo go up and down.

Cyclic: the stick between your knees. Sets the angle of attack of the blades only at a specific position during their rotation ("as it cycles around"). Tilts the direction of the lift the rotor produces; makes the helo bank to the sides or pitch it's nose up and down.

edit:

As mentioned before, the engine output is normally managed by the helo itself, no need to adjust it manually (except for very special cases). To maneuver the helo, you only use Cyclic, Collective and the Anti Torque pedals ("rudder pedals").

So the one io need to work is the collective and not the throttle. But in game i tried to set collective control to my slider but it doesnt work. I always move the throttle instead (the two yellow lever) that must is normally managed as you said. I will try again.