Request VR Support for motion platforms / Simpits

vJaBoG32

Hi Folks from ED Dev.

the vanilla Tracking Devices for any VR HMD is important to get a perfect immersion.

But all this devices can only track absolute...if you roll your RL Head, the ingame Pilotshead rolls also...suprise, suprise! :smilewink:

This makes it impossible to use any VR HMD with a motion pit simulator.

Imagine your RL Head roll angle is +30° (cause of sim pit angle).

Then your Ingame Head angle is also +30°

And the Ingame horizon ´cause of your AC bank angle is also +30°.

This result in a Ingame Pilotshead roll view of +60°.

So you´ll get a wrong vr view and ending up in motion sickness after 5min.

Dogfight is impossible.

To avoid this "Bug" i may have a solution:

1. Active the view.lua for VR HMD´s

There´s allready a function NaturalHeadMoving which modifies the ingame Pilotshead movement and angles. But at this time the view.lua is not used in VR Mode.

2. Import the VR HMD roll and pitch vectors via (Oculus) SDK.

3. Formula for view.lua:

AC roll angle -/+ HMD roll angle = Ingame Pilotshead roll angle.

Same for Pitch angle.

DCS and Oculus vectors are not the same. So i don´t no what happens while e.g. pitch up 90° (DCS Bank vector flips -180°).

But i could work out fine...

and this would be you just Alice in Wonderland, take a look:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11075624/SimPit-VR-NOP.mp4

Thanks for any help in advance!

Edited by vJaBoG32

With kind regards,

Staff of Virtual JaBoG32

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The issue is the IMU is in charge of Rotation Axes, the Sensor only tracks Position and Sync.

So when the Motion Pit rotates, the IMU Senses it and assumes it's your head.

This is something Oculus themselves need to integrate (Ability to Disable IMU Input and Use ONLY Camera Tracking)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Or just mount the sensor on the mosim- works great for me.

Einherjer, can you post some details about this subject? Did you replace/ override the internal Rift Sensor?

-----------------

And some details what i experienced:

- I can just cover the CAM and there is no view re-center from the IMU, no stutter.

Only little drifting sometimes at violent roll angles or 360° spins

- With the CAM uncovered the Pilotsview drifts outside of the cockpit @ +30° bank. Also stuttering then.

- In both cases the wrong adding view angles are present!

Edited by vJaBoG32

With kind regards,

Staff of Virtual JaBoG32

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Einherjer, can you post some details zu this subject? Did you replace the internal Rift Sensor?

3f6b757a924a334516985d8b2d48b6bb.jpgda91f71c622f451784b0028a8a36f7c6.jpg

As you can see , it's just the sensor camera , mounted (rigid- don't allow it to move) on the front right side ( on the second photo it isn't mounted yet )

As long as the camera can see you, you will be fine

I thought so too - but try it, it works ! As long as the cam can see you, there is an override from the sensor over the imu, only when you are in heavy declination and block your sensor fiew, then the calculation goes off and the fiew will recenter .

I think it's funny how there are many people using VR with motion rigs and have it all working just fine, and there are people that are properly using the theory of operation for the goggles, say it won't work.

It actually shouldn't ... but repeatedly people with motion rigs report that it does work, albeit to more or less degree.

IMHO it's because you and your own brain's "IMU" ... and your own natural sense of balance, and natural propensity to maintain a point of view/visual reference, continuously provide enough counter movement of your head over 6DoF ... due to the "chicken head tracking" affect, that the results are not as negative as theory would dictate, and while not always perfect ... provides workable results that just basically depends on how much of a chicken you are. ;)

The chicken effect ...

And even if you disagree ... the chicken's still pretty cool to watch! :)

Edited by MacThai_75

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

XSPC Water Cooled ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

32GB-3200Mhz Rip Jaw DDR4 RAM.

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Mod'd OpenWheeler cockpit

Oculus Rift CV1.

I think it's funny how there are many people using VR with motion rigs and have it all working just fine, and there are people that are properly using the theory of operation for the goggles, say it won't work.

It actually shouldn't ... but repeatedly people with motion rigs report that it does work, albeit to more or less degree.

IMHO it's because you and your own brain's "IMU" ... and your own natural sense of balance, and natural propensity to maintain a point of view/visual reference, continuously provide enough counter movement of your head over 6DoF ... due to the "chicken head tracking" affect, that the results are not as negative as theory would dictate, and while not always perfect ... provides workable results that just basically depends on how much of a chicken you are. ;)

The chicken effect ...

And even if you disagree ... the chicken's still pretty cool to watch! :)

Tried it again: Even if I press my head against the head rest , the vision stays rock solid center when I climb, pull gs or roll. But Engineers said the titanic can not sink.

This issue has nothing to do with the CAM fixment.

And every person sitting in my pit has experienced this bug.

To reproduce the bug, simply fly a constant right 80° bank turn in your AC.

Now tilt your head (with vr device on) also 80° right.

Can everone understand this issue, now?

With kind regards,

Staff of Virtual JaBoG32

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The issue is the IMU is in charge of Rotation Axes, the Sensor only tracks Position and Sync.

So when the Motion Pit rotates, the IMU Senses it and assumes it's your head.

This is something Oculus themselves need to integrate (Ability to Disable IMU Input and Use ONLY Camera Tracking)

SkateZilla i guess that won´t work, cause only CAM tracking is to slow and don´t allow 360° tracking. I think to dissable the hole IMU and CAM tracking and replace it with TrackIR or FaceTrack could may work....somehow.

Also i don´t think Facebook ak Oculus will modify anything at all in there SDK, only because of some simpit freaks :-D

My solution offers a perfekt tracking on every VR Device without changing the SDK and with just little work for some ED coder, imho. So what?

With kind regards,

Staff of Virtual JaBoG32

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This issue has nothing to do with the CAM fixment.

And every person sitting in my pit has experienced this bug.

To reproduce the bug, simply fly a constant right 80° bank turn in your AC.

Now tilt your head (with vr device on) also 80° right.

Can everone understand this issue, now?

That's strange, no one on my mosim had mentioned something like that.

And cam tracking is fast- track ir does exactly the same! But the rift has also ir leds on the back for 360° tracking.

Only when I block my sight or loose cam tracking from slow USB connection the imu kicks in and the view went off

Oculus' Camera and HMD is 360° Tracking, But Like I said, it's only used for syncing @ 60Hz, the IMU Runs at 1GHz.

Basically, You'd have to Run a Plugin/Script that would Adjust View Rotation.

So:

-Mount Camera to Motion Platform for Accurate Sync.

-Script a Plugin, that would counter Motion Platform Movement

The Script would need to Automatically Compute and Adjust the User's X,Y,Z Rotation to Compensate.

So if Motion Platform Rotates +20° Y Axis, the Script would convert that to -20° Y Axis for User's View, then user looks up 90° on the X Axis, does it correctly move the camera or is the orientation still off due to IMU being tilted and the sim just being forcibly adjusted by script.

the issues as pointed out, would be conversion of the input parameters, and whether or not the sim accurately updates the global orientation.

Disabling Axes Rotation Input from the IMU is the only way to resolve the issue, Every motion platform will have this problem, There might be programs to use if you search oculus forums or redit.

A Single Global Script wouldnt work as every motion platform would have a different interface.

There hasnt been any master solution posted,

Closest thing I've seen is to use TrackIR Protocol w/ FaceTrackNoIR, and the Oculus Plugin to use the Camera to Track the LEDs, but No one I know has gotten it to work as TrackIR has different Input Protocols than VR.

Even so, Oculus has Supposed disabled the Ability to turn off direct display mode.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...