Crisp movements

Scott28

I'm new here, so exscuse my stupdity.

In lockon, is it just my computer, or does the filght model lack the crisp movements of other sims. like, when i release the joystick in a roll, the plane roles another 20 degrees or so. is this righ? Is the computer lagging slightly? or is there a setting i need to change. many other videos i've seen show the really crisp rolls, but not for me, why?

any info in this would be much apreciated, as it yould help my flying alot.

Thanks

First Weclome to the Lock On Forum

Anyway, unlike other flight sims out there, Lock On's strong point is its flight model so that shouldnt be a problem. If you believe it might be lagging or something post your system specs (cpu, ram, and graphics card). My guess it might be the joystick, what type of joystick do you have?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Everything I've ever heard / read would lead me to believe that due to the instability inherent to fighters, they tend to stay at the attitude you move it to, and not to drift or keep banking once you stop moving the stick. Scott28, I believe you are on to something, I think the flight model is slightly flawed in this area.

I'm not an expert, however, from cockpit footage of airshows I've observed that these crisp movements are not achieved by moving, then releasing the stick - the pilots use /opposite/ stick to stop the roll!

This implies that you have a) roll inertia (very realistic) and b) when you release the stick, the ailerons take a small amount of time to return to neautral - so you keep rolling a little bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

ok, where is this "smooth movements thing. i can't find it.

and has anyone actually flown a fighter, 'cause i wan't to know if this is realistic. (the excess roll.)

as for lagging, here are my basic system specs.

Dell Demension 2400

Win: XP

768Mb of ram (soon to get an other gig. so i'll have about a gig and a half at that point)

Nvidia GeForce 5200 256mb of VRAM

2.19gz processer

40gig hard drive full. 250 gig nowhere close to full. lockon installed on 40gig.

And where are these airshow videos. i'm interested.

GGTharos is correct. this phenominon points to the flight model being very good rather than lacking as rlouge suggests.

To affect 'crisp' movements one must coordinade the roll and counter (especialy with the SU-25).

Alhough i have never flown FBW aircraft, I belive that the F-16 and F-18 (correct me if iam wrong) have a mechanism that does this automaticaly which would point to the 'crisp' movement disparity that Scott28 is describing.