[VR] remove terrain texture ?

Friendly greetings !

Soo... i'll be honnest :

I have no idea how to mod DCS and don't have much interest in developing a mod. (unless i really have to).

The basic idea is simple, the process may be difficult or simple, i have no idea.

I fly in VR (oculus rift) and i'm tired of the horribly bad look of terrain texture.

Partially because i have "only" an overclocked GTX 970 so i can't max out the settings.

What works very well in VR is flat and/or cartoonish shading.

EG : 3028788-screenshot_11.jpg

Is there a way to do that in DCS ? In some way or another ?

Is it easy ? (i'm a system administrator, not a professional coder, but i can code if needed)

If you don't know an easy way to do that using a few explanation a forum, any pointer to the correct documentation ? Possibly a precise pointer instead of a "here is the 900 pages manual, RTFM" ? :music_whistling:

I think you understand what i mean and i'm willing to make some moderate effort to make it happens. Maybe it will be an horrible experience, maybe it will be a good one.

If it works and seems to worth the effort i'll put more energy in it, but for now i have no idea if it will make things better or a disaster.

thx <3

Hit it down the graphics.lua open with notepad and drop down the amount of structures and other things to minimum low, med and high. You can find graphics.lua in the dcs world/config directory. Use mirrors off!!! Set the security of the graphics.lua too write protection off, or it would you not allow to save the file. Please i am looking forward too see you report back.:thumbup:

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Yes it is possible. Some (including myself) consider this a from of cheating. But when procedural things will be more prevalent in DCS engine... it would be far better, FPS might increase and the bad aspects of texturing would be gone.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least