VR performance on Nevada map

Count Sessine

Hi guys

Is it just my rig or has VR performance on the Nevada map degraded significantly over the past couple of patches?

I'm at a point where I'm back to the Caucasus map - nothing I do do or tweak seems to make a difference in Nevada.

I'm on a HTC Vive, i7-3930K, GTX 1080 with 32GB RAM.

It’s slowly got a bit better for me!

But I think I know what you mean, I struggled with DCS 2 and even uninstalled it at one point always going back to Caucasus, but I tried it again lately and found it not to bad now, and I don’t think it’s been updated in the last few weeks either, I do find that Nvidia drivers give me most problems that’s with 1.5 and 2 so you could start there, I am using 368.81 drivers at the moment, also windows updates cause problems two. It may be a pain but sometimes uninstalling DCS 2 completely and reinstall helps.

But I have found it impossible to get a stable performance for long because they keep updating graphics, DCS World and windows, I just seem to get it where I’m happy and then it goes pair shaped.

My performance on Nevada 2.0 is much better than on 1.5.5. When setups are as equal as they can be, I get average 45 fps in Nevada and 22 fps in Caucus on the ramp.

All settings at MAX except Traffic, Lens flare and Field of view at Off. Pixel Density at 1.8

Intel i7 3970X, X79 motherboard chipset, Nvidia Titan (Maxwell chip), 16 GB RAM, no overclocking, latest NVidia drivers.

My performance on Nevada 2.0 is much better than on 1.5.5. When setups are as equal as they can be, I get average 45 fps in Nevada and 22 fps in Caucus on the ramp.

All settings at MAX except Traffic, Lens flare and Field of view at Off. Pixel Density at 1.8

Intel i7 3970X, X79 motherboard chipset, Nvidia Titan (Maxwell chip), 16 GB RAM, no overclocking, latest NVidia drivers.

I have a very similar rig to yours,I find Nevada much better on frames than Caucus Map.

Patrick

mini.gif

I have also much better performance in Nevada and targets in ground are much easy to spot than caucasus.

So for VR its bye, bye caucasus (least until 2,5 is out somewhere in 2018-2019)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, we do have to consider that we are not talking about identical map setups also: e.g. desert and sparse as opposed to forested/pasture and more urban. When everything is merged and textures brought to same technology level, there is a good chance Nevada will still end up being smoother and of course ground target ID will probably be still easier.

I am mentioning this just in case...

I am using my own mission setup for Nevada and Caucasus test. Simple with only client planes to test. Nothing else.

If you are testing using the "Instant action" missions that come with DCS module installation, it is a different more resource taxing environment. There all short of triggers and other vehicles and planes that coexist.

One thing I'm noticing here, everyone claiming to be getting better performance on Nevada are all using maxwell cards, but OP and I have 1080's and I'm definitely getting worse performance in 2.0 with lower settings than I run in 1.5. I believe I've read before that DCS doesn't utilize the Pascal cards properly right now. My gpu utilization usually hangs around 40-50% in game. So maybe that has something to do with it?

Also, another issue with Nevada (on my setup at least): I cannot get it to change pixel density. It seems stuck on 1.0.

Anyone else got this problem?

EDIt: ok you need to change the steamvrsettings file to make pixel density work in 2.0. Also, turn off all shadows. Don't even try with shadows :)

Edited by Count Sessine