TACAN to get range of wingman?

Maulkin

How do I do this? I assume I set the TACAN to A/A mode? What channel do I set it to? What if I have more than one wingman?

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

I don't think the AA mode is implemented yet.

It is, I used it months ago to test if it worked. Works just fine.

How it works is (on all planes), the receiving party, has to select a channel +63 from the one transmitting.

So if the flight lead is at for example Y11, the wingman has to select 11+63 = Y74.

I can confirm it works, I use it every flight I'm paired up with my mates.

If you have more than one than the lead will set Y11 (using CrashO's example) and the wingmen will use Y74. The wingmen will both see the range to the lead but the lead will only see the range to the closest wingman.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

Range and direction?

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00LD utilizzando Tapatalk

No, you will never get direction between 2 fighters. Only range.

You need a proper TACAN emitter to get direction.

You can expect it on ships, or some air tankers, but not on fighters.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

How does the flight lead set his aircraft to the example of Y11?

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

How does the flight lead set his aircraft to the example of Y11?

You have a rotary X/ Y and another one OFF/ REC/ T.R/ AA

It should give you a cue :thumbup:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

On those rotaries there is a middle and an outer dial. It can be tricky to click on the outer dial sometimes but it is there and you will get a tooltip that pops up when you're in the right place.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

No, you will never get direction between 2 fighters. Only range.

You need a proper TACAN emitter to get direction.

You can expect it on ships, or some air tankers, but not on fighters.

you can get a direction in the F5 by switching navigation mode to DF, UHF to Both and Tacan to A/A TR. Then get your wingmand to hit tone on UHF and voila... HSI points at them. youll even see the hsi swing and point when awacs makes calls.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

you can get a direction in the F5 by switching navigation mode to DF, UHF to Both and Tacan to A/A TR. Then get your wingmand to hit tone on UHF and voila... HSI points at them. youll even see the hsi swing and point when awacs makes calls.

So what ? How is it relevant to the discussion ?

No V/ UHF direction finding on M-2000C.

It's not the first time we are discussing about it. No direction in AA TACAN between 2 fughters.

If you don't believe me look on Google what a TACAN station looks like, and you will understand why we don't have it om fighters.

Mirage fanatic !

If i'm not mistaken, this is ADF, not tacan.

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

If i'm not mistaken, this is ADF, not tacan.

Not necessarily. I don't know the F-5 well enough. But I know some helicopters can point their HSI needle to UHF emission.

Maybe the function was incorporated to F-5, and it may be useful for CAS scenario.

Mirage fanatic !

On the inner region, click to swap X/Y channels on the right knob, and use the mouse wheel on both knobs for channel selection. The outer region of the knobs is for on/off on the left knob, and volume on the right knob.

Sorry for the confusion guys, I do know how to set my TACAN to Y11. What i mean is how do i recieve and send on to different channels? Take this example that was metioned before:

"If you have more than one than the lead will set Y11 (using CrashO's example) and the wingmen will use Y74. The wingmen will both see the range to the lead but the lead will only see the range to the closest wingman."

Me as a wingman, how do I set it up so Im sending on Y74 so my lead gets range data, but recieve on Y11 so I get range data on my lead?

Also, please keep to the Mirage guys. If you start talking about the F-5 and the UH-1H I am just going to get more lost. :)

--Maulkin

Me as a wingman, how do I set it up so Im sending on Y74 so my lead gets range data, but recieve on Y11 so I get range data on my lead?

Your lead will receive your distance information when he is tuned to Y11 and you are receiving on Y74 as your replies will be on Y11

Ref: Advances in Electronics and Electron Physics, Volume 68, page 162

attachment.php?attachmentid=155629&stc=1&d=1485203503

Think of A-A Mode as a special crossover mode where

• channels 1-63 Y, reply 63 channels higher
  • and channels 64-126 Y, reply 63 channels lower

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1121767&postcount=19

Mudspike A-10C Tacan A-A Article

http://www.mudspike.com/how-to-use-the-air-to-air-tacan-in-dcs-a-10c/

334971539_TacanTransmitRecieveChannels.png.a01d36ce3e371c32bfbd76ed1c00ef8c.png

Edited by Ramsay
Remove bad info

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

So I was still completely confused until I read that Mudspike article! I think I understand it now but in case I don't let me tell you what I am thinking:

So my flight lead sets his TACAN to Y11 and I set my TACAN to Y74. Because I am 11+63 I am sending on Y74 but recieving on Y11 and the flight lead is sending on Y11 and recieving on Y74? Is that correct?

--Maulkin

"Advances in Electronics and Electron Physics" uses the terms Interrogation and Reply for the channels.

So with lead on Y11 and you on Y74 I'd say

• Lead is listening on Y11 (and sending/transmitting reply's on Y74)
  • and you are listening on Y74 (and sending/transmitting reply's on Y11)

I was a little confused myself by the mechanics behind the 63 channel separation, hence digging up the physics text book.

• Below channel 64, the transmitting frequency is 63 channels higher.
  • Channel 64 and above, the transmitting frequency is 63 channels lower.

AFAIK the channel set is the "receiving" frequency, so if you were to switch to "receive only", I think you would still get lead's distance but he would not get your's but you'd need to test it in game to see if I'm correct

So my flight lead sets his TACAN to Y11 and I set my TACAN to Y74. Because I am 11+63 I am sending on Y74 but recieving on Y11 and the flight lead is sending on Y11 and recieving on Y74? Is that correct?

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

No, you can't get a range if you're not transmitting. To have range you need a reply to your request.

Receiving only = no request = no reply = no range.

You would get azimuth only with ground station.

Mirage fanatic !

Read up on the -34 of the a10c. The a/a tacan will only give you the range to the transmitting ac not a bearing

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Ok i think i get it now. It sounds like TACAN ranging between wingmates can only work unidirectionally?

--Maulkin

Lol yes sorry. By unidirectional I was referring to the direction of communication

--Maulkin