It's been a while, where to start again?

OnlyforDCS

Hi everyone.

It's been a while. More than a year actually since I've been simming regularly in DCS. Took a break for real life reasons (marriage, change of jobs, etc.) and to give ED a chance to unify the codebase for 1.5 and 2.0. Well to cut the long story short I'd like to get back in the game, so to speak:

Where do I start to get the best experience with DCS World as it is currently modelled? Mainly looking to (re)learn the choppers, the L39, and fly multiplayer in the FC3 jets and with the M2000C as well as the P51D. I do own Nevada, but don't have the space currently on my SSD to install everything as well as the 2.0 Alpha, 1.5 Beta, 1.5 release etc.

So keeping all of this in mind which version should I go for? Thanks in advance for the help. :thumbup:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

^ Ditto. Most offline and online content and activity is still about Caucasus map. And if You download one of three popular terrain texture mods for it, You can make it look reasonably good, while waiting for a 2.5 overhauled version.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Actually you came back just a bit too early, in a few months, maybe even weeks, the 1.5 and 2.0 will merge into 2.5, it's so much more practical to wait for that and do you configurations and controls on that version, otherwise you'll end up having redo the major installations. I do not believe the 1.5 or 2.0 will update into 2.5, I think it'll be a completely separated installation.

Even if it may work, I do not think it's a good idea to copy over old configurations to the new version, you may be able to do it manually by editing files, but that's a tedious and time consuming process in it self and requires someone with skill and patience.

That's how I will do it, I already uninstalled and backed up everything.

I just upgraded my GPU and i'm only doing some testing, because wild horses can't stop me, in 1.5 version with defaults and without any paid modules installed.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Actually you came back just a bit too early, in a few months, maybe even weeks, the 1.5 and 2.0 will merge into 2.5, it's so much more practical to wait for that and do you configurations and controls on that version, otherwise you'll end up having redo the major installations. I do not believe the 1.5 or 2.0 will update into 2.5, I think it'll be a completely separated installation.

Even if it may work, I do not think it's a good idea to copy over old configurations to the new version, you may be able to do it manually by editing files, but that's a tedious and time consuming process in it self and requires someone with skill and patience.

That's how I will do it, I already uninstalled and backed up everything.

I just upgraded my GPU and i'm only doing some testing, because wild horses can't stop me, in 1.5 version with defaults and without any paid modules installed.

I very much doubt it will be a new installation. It will just be a (big) update for the release branch (1.5 currently), maybe preceeded by the beta branch first. I guess the alpha branch will be dropped at that point.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'm in a similar situation, had to take an 18 month pause from DCS, so I'm kind of out of the loop.

Last thing I remember was the Nevada release. So in short, the implementation of Kaukasus and Nevada into one unified version is not done yet? Any estimate on the release (this year, next year, no idea)?

Also, what's the status of the modules? Any major issues? I think the new modules were F-5, Gazelle, Spitfire, M2000, and soon the Viggen.

I have not seen much love for the M2000 on youtube for example, any reason why?

Callsign "Lion"

Last thing I remember was the Nevada release. So in short, the implementation of Kaukasus and Nevada into one unified version is not done yet? Any estimate on the release (this year, next year, no idea)?

The original plan was by the end of 2016, but it got delayed as they decided to add even more to it. I do believe the current plan is for early this year, hopefully not too much longer. But no definitive word yet.

Also, what's the status of the modules? Any major issues? I think the new modules were F-5, Gazelle, Spitfire, M2000, and soon the Viggen.

I have not seen much love for the M2000 on youtube for example, any reason why?

The only new one I have that you listed in the Spit, and it is gorgeous and performs very well best I can tell. Bit of a learning curve for takeoffs and especially landings. I am loving it though, but then WWII birds are really my preference. It is not yet available for Nevada, but hopefully soon. It was just released it beta form recently.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The original plan was by the end of 2016, but it got delayed as they decided to add even more to it. I do believe the current plan is for early this year, hopefully not too much longer. But no definitive word yet.

I never heard they wanted to do "more", I just saw they weren't going to make it in time.

Where did you saw that?

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I also have been away for many many years now and want to be able to run both arenas. I have the Nevada map installed currently. How do I go about making an install with all my planes etc with the Caucus map? No I do not sound like Samuel L. Jackson or Dave Chappelle. :-)

I also have been away for many many years now and want to be able to run both arenas. I have the Nevada map installed currently. How do I go about making an install with all my planes etc with the Caucus map? No I do not sound like Samuel L. Jackson or Dave Chappelle. :-)

Just download installer for 1.5.x (either stable or beta, depending on Your preference), and run it. Obviously, remember to point it to different folder than Your 2.0 install. Once it's done, after logging in to this new, separate copy, hop into module manager and let the game install all the aircraft.

To save some time setting up the controls, the Config\Input folder from Your existing version can be copied to the 1.5 one and for the most part it should work.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The only new one I have that you listed in the Spit, and it is gorgeous and performs very well best I can tell. Bit of a learning curve for takeoffs and especially landings. I am loving it though, but then WWII birds are really my preference. It is not yet available for Nevada, but hopefully soon. It was just released it beta form recently.

Thanks for the info, Spitfire is on my list since I own all the other warbirds and greatly enjoyed flying them. I guess I'll wait a bit until the Viggen module is a bit more stable, but the Tiger 2 will be an instant buy as soon as I get back into the game.

Callsign "Lion"

Thanks for the info, Spitfire is on my list since I own all the other warbirds and greatly enjoyed flying them. I guess I'll wait a bit until the Viggen module is a bit more stable, but the Tiger 2 will be an instant buy as soon as I get back into the game.

I love the F-5. Other than the fact that I seem to have a general lack of knowledge on VFR navigation, I've enjoyed practicing and improving at A-A in it. Let me know if you want help, that goes for anyone in this thread including the one who opened it. ;)

Come join a passionate community of flight simmers everyday, live at

16hnv2f.png

PC Specs

Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.4GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7

Corsair Vengeance LED 2666MHz 32GB DDR4

H115i 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

EVGA GeForce 980Ti Hybrid (built-in liquid cooling)

EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+Gold

Samsung NVMe 950PRO M.2 SSD 512GBx2