Impossible to taxi in a straight line

WMMangus

:helpsmilie:I'm finding it impossible to taxi in a straight line. Using X-56 Rhino HOTAS with CH Pedals. Toe brakes set to left/right wheel brakes in axis commands. Axis tune has dead band set to 5, saturation to 100, curvature at 38.

No matter how quick I press the toe brakes I either over control or come to a complete stop and have to use the W key to turn off the wheel brakes. I usually end up pointing off into the weeds at the side of the taxiway.

Ideas cheerfully accepted

:)

May I ask at what speed you're taxiing?

I tend to have a heavy right foot and have to compensate with the left more consciously whilst braking.

I have learnt how (with many hours "driving" Hawk) how much pressure I need to apply with my Saitek combat pedals. I flew on Jav's tonight and he has different pedals which threw off my leg muscle memory.

Basically it's just practice.

Activate Controls indicator (rcrtl+enter) to make sure you're not inadvertently pressing the brakes.

Like Ells said, it just practice, and some getting used to. :D

Maybe your axis setup doesn't suit you, try to experiment with it.

I find it hard to taxi after a beer....................... :drink::drink:

Well better to taxi than drive yourself...

200.gif

brady-bunch-RDBT1WAaEHsf6

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

Activate Controls indicator (rcrtl+enter) to make sure you're not inadvertently pressing the brakes.

Like Ells said, it just practice, and some getting used to. :D

Maybe your axis setup doesn't suit you, try to experiment with it.

I'm using the toe brakes on the CH Pedals mapped to left/right wheel brakes. Using just the rudder pedal function has no effect on directional control. Taxi speed is as slow as I can make it go. The faster I taxi, the more the toe brakes affect directional control and I end up in the weeds.

Point is to use small inputs, not quick inputs. Never hit the toe brakes to the floor unless you actually mean to. I control the Hawk on taxi with "thinking about pressing the pedal"... that way I won't press it too much.

Say, if the range of motion for each toebrake is 4 inches, only apply 1/2 an inch or even less. Hold it for a brief moment and see how it affects.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

If you don't touch the pedals, and there is no wind, then the Hawk taxi's in a straight line. However, as soon as you apply differential braking, it turns.

Isn't that how it's supposed to happen?

If however you are complaining that you can't keep it straight due to your over controlling, then I am afraid there is a very simple solution - keep practicing, and definitely use an analogue input for braking controls. Gentle application of the brakes is the key. Jam them on, and of course you'll start weaving all over the place.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

I perhaps didn't explain clearly the first time. I'm using very small, that is, not very much, depression of the toe brakes, For example, I'm parked on the ramp, engines started, wheel brakes off. I apply just enough throttle to start to move the a/c and gently touch my left toe brake. I either come to a complete stop after just starting to turn, or, if a little faster, continue to turn even after applying a corresponding amount of right toe brake.

I'm still working on the axis commands for the toe brakes. It seems that I'm getting 100% application even with the gentle tap/depression.

I'll keep at it.:joystick:

I'd first check the toe brakes in your CH calibration software, to make sure they are working as expected. Then repeat the same in DCS axis tune.

As already mentioned, tiny input is the key. Watching the controls indicator, don't let the horizontal bar go up past 1/4 of the full motion, even that may be too much. Ignore the vertical triangular things, they are broken (they wrongly indicate that the brakes are always on).

You need a little momentum to make sure the brakes are effective. Too slow, and you won't overcome the inertia involved in changing direction, and as you have discovered, the plane will simply stop.

What button are you using for the brakes? Or have you set it up to an analogue control? A little more detail might make it possible for us to give some worthwhile tips on how to get the results you need.

I can assure you however, that as it is currently modelled, the Hawk is perfectly docile on the ground - when you have the right set-up.

:(Looks like a hardware problem.

Calibrated pedals using joy.cpl. Calibration was fine.

Started paying attention to what was happening to hyd pressure when toe brakes were applied. The slightest touch of the toe brakes (either one) resulted in 100% application of brakes, which did not release when pedal pressure was released (feet off the pedals completely).

As a test I went into axis tune for both toe brakes and set the deadband to 100%. As I understand deadband, this should have prevented the toe brakes from ever being applied. Nope, same situation. Slightest touch applied brakes and didn't release them.

I'm going to try mapping the toe brakes to my keyboard arrow keys until my new pedals arrive.

Thanks everyone.:)

:)Yeah, but my finger muscle memory is trained for either a-s-d-w or the arrow keys and the arrow keys are not needed for pitch/roll.

Just tried this and it works beautifully.

Any recommendations on pedals? Looking at reviews on Amazon it appears people have had problems with just about every model.

:thumbup:

As a test I went into axis tune for both toe brakes and set the deadband to 100%. As I understand deadband, this should have prevented the toe brakes from ever being applied. Nope, same situation. Slightest touch applied brakes and didn't release them.

Strange, my pedals are working fine, but if I put 100% deadzone I'm experiencing the similar thing - slightest pressure on my brakes puts Hawk's brakes to 50%. After I release the brake, ingame brakes are still stuck at 50%.

Try to completely remove all deadzone and see how it behaves.

edit: the above issue with the deadzone happens with the other planes too, its not specific to Hawk.

Edited by grunf

I've tried various ranges within the deadband zone as well as changing the curvature. Nothing worked.

I'm thinking it's a frayed wire causing crosstalk between the x,y, and z axes in the pedals. Using just the rudder function I also get Hyd pressure flickers/changes. That shouldn't happen as the Hawk rudder is a manual control per the manual. There's something squirely going on inside the pedals -- they're more than 15 years old after all.:joystick:

I've tried various ranges within the deadband zone as well as changing the curvature. Nothing worked.

I'm thinking it's a frayed wire causing crosstalk between the x,y, and z axes in the pedals. Using just the rudder function I also get Hyd pressure flickers/changes. That shouldn't happen as the Hawk rudder is a manual control per the manual. There's something squirely going on inside the pedals -- they're more than 15 years old after all.:joystick:

In that case this might be a good time to replace them. :D

You asked for recommendations, check MFG Crosswind, they're great.

Getting a set of MFG's tomorrow for evaluation :)

I currently use Saitek pro combat rudder pedals.

My CH ones just weren't good enough for DCS precision flying.

Riiiiiiight....so thats you're excuse!

:smartass:

Pman

It happens in DCS Hawk and FSX hawk..... coincidence? I think not....

using yaptalk

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

I have a tendency to over compensate with a heavy foot. It took a while, but I have found a light tap to make small degree changes seems to work fairly well. In other words, tap the brake lightly to get it going in the direction you want to go, but not to the full turn. Additional taps (r or l) until you get the direction you want. The nose wheel will continue straight from the degree of turn applied, it doesn't work like a fixed 1/1 wheel, you don't need to apply opposite braking to straighten the nose wheel, the craft will follow the nose wheel, like a trailer following a car.

:)Thanks for all the help. Problem solved with new Saitek Pro Flight Pedals. All working beautifully now with very small toe brake depressions. For FSX you need to click the 'reverse' button in the Pedals axis setup and set the sensitivity to 100 with just a hint of a deadband.

Tuning the axis curvature a bit flatter in DCS makes for a very smooth application of brakes.

Have older Logitek G-940 setup and CH Products stick, throttle and pedals (wiring problem where plug exits back of pedal base) to give away. If anyone needs them for parts, etc., PM me.

Riiiiiiight....so thats you're excuse!

:smartass:

Pman

You do not need any excuse for MFG Crosswind rudders! :D

It is a natural selection process... :music_whistling:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 32GB | GeForce RTX 2080S - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs | a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)