Mission save error, now not detectable by DCS.

RocketmanAL

So I was creating a nice in-depth mission (why else would I have a save issue?) and got an error when I tried to save. I'd just run a test and added a couple of units. Then I tried to save and got an error message. Something along the lines of:

"Unable to save, unexpected closure. Closed on line XXXX, expected # at line XXXX"

Unfortunately the rage was building and I didn't think to screen cap. Then all the the unit name swapped to have "DicUnt_..." instead of the normal title.

I tried to open the previous save, but it gave me another error message. I closed out DCS hoping it would fix it. Now DCS won't even show the mission when trying to find it in ME or by playing it. The mission is still in the folder in the directory, DCS just doesn't see it.

So I was creating a nice in-depth mission (why else would I have a save issue?) and got an error when I tried to save. I'd just run a test and added a couple of units. Then I tried to save and got an error message. Something along the lines of:

"Unable to save, unexpected closure. Closed on line XXXX, expected # at line XXXX"

Never had that one, so can't help unfortunately.

Unfortunately the rage was building and I didn't think to screen cap. Then all the the unit name swapped to have "DicUnt_..." instead of the normal title.

This is quite a rare issue now, but I did have it happen to me a couple of days ago, luckily it was on a copy of the mission so no work lost.

Always happens at the most inopportune moments, unfortunately experience has shown me that once the unit names change to DictUnit_.... the mission is stuffed and the only recourse is to re-do it or get the backups out.

Hopefully someone else may be more helpful on how to get it back into working order. They would need to see the mission and your DCS log and crash files to see if there is any hints as to what went wrong.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Post your DCS.log from when the error occurred. And also post the miz file if you can. Need to see the full error.

If all of the names of units, groups, etc show up as "Dict_key... " then the dictionary file was effectively corrupted. I've seen this happen is you try to save the .miz when you have the file already opened in 7zip. Although it probably could happen if there is ever a save error of any kind.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Just in the saved games folder. It keeps the current log and the one before it as DCS.log.old

On similar topic - I tend to get a weird error with saving when after pressing "save" button it will stay lit light - blue, but the mission is not saved. At this point all the other buttons stop working and after pressing escape clopicking on the dialogue box does not help either, I have to CTRL-ALT-DEL. I've seen it both in 1.5 (stable) and 2.0. Possible reason is that sometimes I work on the missions on my laptop, though I have exactly the same version of the game installed there.

Has anyone experienced this?

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Always check DCS.log whenever that occurs. Its gonna be a mission editor error. Whenever that happens it pretty much breaks the entire UI.