Create mission by editing *.miz

chrisrucksack

Hello everybody.

First things first: my english isn't good, so please give me a chance ;)

I designed a "standard" mission for our virtual squadron. Putting some aircrafts here and there, with different skins, different nationality and so one.

All these informations are stored in the *.miz. When I extract that *.miz by using e.g. winrar, different files appears (img_050.jpeg). In the file "mission" all informations are listed (img_049.jpeg).

1. Is it possible to generate a new mission based by editing the "mission" file (copy other stuff)?

2. Has someone experience by editing like this way?

3. Do you have any tips for me?

img_050.jpeg.3d911c4e50e3c100efaa404139fd393b.jpeg

img_049.jpeg.b1f82f4274ddcef16a105b3843cc509e.jpeg

Bullseye-Training

Hardware: TrackIR5 | Buddy-Fox UFC | TM Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | i7-4790k | GTX 980 | 32GB RAM

Modules: F/A-18C | A-10C | M-2000C | F-5 Tiger II | UH-1H

I've seen some people (Grimes did it) edit the mission file inside the ./miz but it was to fix perhaps merging two missions or changing something like countries. So for your question...yes, you can make changes here, but the follow up question is why, since there is a user interface for it? If its to change something you cannot easily change then go ahead. It's unsusported, so you are on your own but as long as you are following the syntax it's fine and has been done.

The image files are your briefing pictures. The names are changed by DCS when it packs the Miz. You need to be careful as there is some resizing of the image going on.

FYI, there's a country changer mod if you need that. I'm guessing, this is the most obvious reason for trying to do it.

Hello everybody.

First things first: my english isn't good, so please give me a chance ;)

I designed a "standard" mission for our virtual squadron. Putting some aircrafts here and there, with different skins, different nationality and so one.

All these informations are stored in the *.miz. When I extract that *.miz by using e.g. winrar, different files appears (img_050.jpeg). In the file "mission" all informations are listed (img_049.jpeg).

1. Is it possible to generate a new mission based by editing the "mission" file (copy other stuff)?

2. Has someone experience by editing like this way?

3. Do you have any tips for me?

Edited by Pikey

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Thank you for your answer!

In the past, we had trouble in the open alpha with updates, so we had to rebuild the mission. It's hard to set dozens of units all over the map and changing tiny things.

My idea was, to build a simple master mission with all units and copy that in a new *.miz after a mission crash.

Bullseye-Training

Hardware: TrackIR5 | Buddy-Fox UFC | TM Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | i7-4790k | GTX 980 | 32GB RAM

You have to be very careful of the indices of the various inner tables when editing the mission file manually or even merging two mission files.

When your mission crashes (and the way you write it, it sounds like it happens rather frequently), are you sure the structure of the mission table itself is not the problem?

Have you tried to open the ('crashing') mission in the editor and just saving it again? This might help here and there.

- Deutsche Tutorials und DCS Gameplay: youtube.com/Rakuzard | raku.yt/discord -

With the new multilanguage miz-structure it is more difficult, as all waypoint, object, unit, group names are separated into the dictionary file for handling names.

A possible way to achieve something like you want is to put everything you need in terms of units and static objects into one specific country. Add the squadron units and tasks with a different country. Now, you can extract the country that has the "environment" and copy it into a new blank mission.

Remember, all names may be the placeholders for the dictionary.

This is something you may want to do after familiarization with basic lua scripting and until you understand the mission file structure.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

If can program a bit in python you could use my pydcs framework for exactly that. https://github.com/pydcs/dcs
Nice to know. I'll check this.

You have to be very careful of the indices of the various inner tables when editing the mission file manually or even merging two mission files.

When your mission crashes (and the way you write it, it sounds like it happens rather frequently), are you sure the structure of the mission table itself is not the problem?

Have you tried to open the ('crashing') mission in the editor and just saving it again? This might help here and there.

It happened once or twice - not a big deal because these was very simple missions. 2-3 mates build that mission and share the newest version via dropbox. Now we're planing a bigger mission in openalpha and to know mission can crash, I'm feeling a bit helpless.

When you say you have issues with the mission, I think we could use some detail there. It's still not clear to me the reason. You might have an issue we can solve.
We have no current problems, but thank you for your support.

With the new multilanguage miz-structure it is more difficult, as all waypoint, object, unit, group names are separated into the dictionary file for handling names.

A possible way to achieve something like you want is to put everything you need in terms of units and static objects into one specific country. Add the squadron units and tasks with a different country. Now, you can extract the country that has the "environment" and copy it into a new blank mission.

Remember, all names may be the placeholders for the dictionary.

This is something you may want to do after familiarization with basic lua scripting and until you understand the mission file structure.

Good hint - this was something I was looking for!

... and nice to know I can ask specific questions in my native language. :)

Bullseye-Training