What's your progress on the Viggen so far??

ultrablue2258

What's your progress on the Viggen so far??  

277 members have voted

1. 1. What's your progress on the Viggen so far??

I have mastered nothing and I am barely competent in tooling around the skies of the Caucasus at low level and high speed enjoying it's flight characteristics and gauging it's response.

It's a wonderful aircraft to fly with. Given that it's only being released in the last 12 hours or so I dare say there is no one who has really mastered anything in it :)

Pretty much the above. Came from work last evening, could't resist and downloaded her, assigned at least the most essential controls (will add the rest later), created a fast takeoff from runway mission (really, Leatherneck, how much effort would it cost for you to add one like this to the Quick start menu? :ranting:) and took her for a quick spin.

All went pretty well, I even managed to put her in the visual landing mode (one of the few things i remember from the videos), only I wondered why she wants to stall so much and why can't I achieve sufficient AOA. Screw it, I thought, so I will just come in a bit faster for a landing. Only after a (very uncomfortable) touchdown I realised one "minor" flaw in my approach procedure - i forgot to put my landing gear down! :doh: (which also caused the canard flaps not to come down I suppose).

I mean, really? I'm flying completely unfamiliar type of aircraft without any problems, I succesfuly landed other types hundreds time before, and I forget about damned landing gear?! C'mon, man!

Only thing to say to my defense, it was in the middle of the night after a really busy working day and I already really wanted to bed. Oh, and I could still walk away after that, so I guess it constitutes a "good" (just not "excellent") landing - only my crew chief would probably not share that sentiment.

But thinking about it today - while I alone am still completely to blame - the cockpit layout is not exactly pilot-friendly in this regard. What other post-50's plane has gear handle located like this? Come on, even the Russians put it in the left front dash, and they do EVERYTHING differently than the West. And the announcement lights didn't help either - every other plane I know has three big, green lamps arranged like a landing gear (well, in A-10, they aren't really as big either), so even somebody completely unfamiliar with the airframe (or with aviation in general) will notice them. Only the Viggen has three random labels (which could really mean anything) light up, on an anunciator panel where all others warnings, advisories and misc information are located.

I mean, every other aircraft I know has different indication for things like "your windscreen heating is on" and "YOUR DAMNED LANDING GEAR IS EXTENDED". Not the Viggen. You must think in Swedis I guess. ;)

Oh, and one thing is missing in the poll options. The thrust reverser. I am fully proficient with it. It's a fun little thing. :)

Well, enough talking, time to go flying!

If you're going <375 km/h IAS below 1500m at less than 90% engine RPM with the gear in, you should get a master caution in addition to the blinking light LANDSTÄLL on the left annunciator panel. Was that not the case?

Then again the word LANDSTÄLL might not be much help to you if you've forgotten to brush up on your Swedish... :V

You can learn a cold start in a few hours, same for ground work.

No, I "learned" cold start in two minutes. That is, I learned to press a sequence of buttons and switches. I played through all the tutorials last night in one sitting.

We'll see about competence after people have spent several dozens of hours in real combat scenarios.

I have successfully managed to take off and land a couple of times. I'm hell bent on keeping her in one piece. So, no crashing! The Viggen really is a different beast. The high induced drag really surprised me. The engine is powerful but I understand now why some Viggen pilots wished it had two. :)

I haven't really made any progress at all :D. I spent a few hours last night just flying around, enjoying myself. Also spent some time sitting on the ground familiarizing with the cockpit, which I guess is a progress.

I made a few landings, including on the road, which to my surprise went really well. On my first landing I forgot to add throttle after the touchdown, and I was wondering for a moment why the reverse thrust isn't engaging :megalol:. Fortunately it was a long runaway. I still find it strange to hit the throttle instead of brakes. :D

I'll start my proper training later today.

If you're going <375 km/h IAS below 1500m at less than 90% engine RPM with the gear in, you should get a master caution in addition to the blinking light LANDSTÄLL on the left annunciator panel. Was that not the case?

Then again the word LANDSTÄLL might not be much help to you if you've forgotten to brush up on your Swedish... :V

Yeah, not really sure about that "LANDSTÄLL" thing, but that's to be expected from a sleep deprived guy who just for first time sits in a complex machine he knows next to nothing about and decides to take it for a ride... Not exactly the correct procedure real pilots use, right? And yes, you guessed right, my swedish needs a bit of brushing up. :)

But master caution is that two alternating lights on left top corner of the front dash, right? I am pretty sure that even I would notice them... Unles I was dumb enough to simply think "ah, that stupid airplane is bugging me again about something I don't understand" and simply pushed the reset button. :poster_oops:

Okay, it's gonna be the next thing I'm going to test, this time hopefully without actual touchdown.

I found takeoff harder than landing due to some twitchy yaw, but AFK landings are very easy and I nailed everyone with delight and recorded my first along with the 3 point turn in the road and T/O in the other direction. The systems on the other hand I struggled to just guess my way through from meomory of videos and I'm sitting down with the book today.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

So I did a series of a quick test and the LANDSTÄLL light simply does not show up for me, along with master caution light, despite my aircraft being inside all required parameters. It works as intended during landing gear transitions, though. Looks like I have to file in a bug report.

I spent last night running through the first few tutorials to get my startup and general handling checklists down, then ran through all the weapons procedures except the RB-15 to get them onto my reference sheets. I don't know the aircraft well enough to use them in combat yet, but I did at least get good launches/drops on everything. (Except maybe toss—I have a hard time holding 4G exactly, so the release usually comes in the middle of a control input, which sprays the bombs everywhere.) Took a few extra passes with low-drag bombs; haven't been able to get low-drag PLAN mode to keep the symbology on the HUD yet, but dive bombing is lots of fun, and so is CCIP with high-drag. Also, I didn't realize how long-ranged the long-range rockets mode is until I tried it. Had a hard time getting the BK90's release envelope right the first few times, but set on the method eventually.

Haven't done any serious navigation, time-on-target work, or focused training on the radar. Shot a few landings. The 15.5-degree autothrottle can't keep up with my wild inputs, but the standard autothrottle is very nice for landing. The one successful 15.5-degree landing I made, with the thrust reverser, ended with a 650-meter run from threshold to stopping point. (I could have done it in even less, but I was so surprised the aircraft survived the impact that I wasn't very quick on the throttle.) Tried the RBS-15 this morning, but ran into a bug or two, and couldn't get it to track regardless.

Good progress so far. I have a passing familiarity with almost everything. Now it just takes practice to turn it into combat readiness.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

Spent several hours last night practicing visual landings and takeoffs with different loadouts/weights. I feel pretty competent on those.....on a runway. I did a single quasi-successful landing on a road (only got stuck in the weeds at the end off the road).

Tried out *most* of the weapon systems, but have mastered or are even competent in none of them.

Tried out the navigation system and succeeded but I still wouldn't plan a trip with me without expecting to get lost.