Cold start training mission - need help

Coolhand77

Yes, same for me. Did it on my first training but every other after that it will not work. The first time, when it worked, I just used the pitch trim.

Maybe it is a bug?

ASUS Z370, i7 8086K @ 5,2 Ghz, ASUS Strix GTX 1080, 16GB Ram, TM HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek combat rudders, 25" 1440p monitor, Oculus Rift

The gauge highlighted in the start-up lesson is item #32, Figure 6 on page 24 (Bromstr), so that's the brake pressure manometer. (checked again, actually the highlight is all over the place)

The correct gauge for the trim is just aft, it's item #25 on the same figure.

Perhaps the confusion comes from there, I was quite puzzled in the cold start training lesson when I saw that.

There are other little mistakes like "press start for 2 seconds", it's a switch, and sure enough if you click it back after 2 seconds the engine shuts down ;) Or missing "press spacebar", which makes you wait for a while before trying this one out.

It's just WIP little issues, hopefully they won't stay as in the Mig-21bis :D

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Thanks, I will try this tonight. This module feels so good. Sitting in the cockpit with the Rift is incredible. I did my military service in the swedish airforce as a ground crew. It feels like I'm sittning there in the cockpit again with a big smile on my face. Thanks leatherneck!!!

• Like 1

I had the same issue of a non-functional pitch trim. As i tried to investigate, why sometimes it works and sometimes not, I figured out that if once an emergency trim switch was clicked (doesn't matter which one and doesn't matter if you set it back into its initial position), the normal trim system does not work any more. As one is ordered to check whether the switch (Nr. 3 on page 24 in the manual) is centered during the startup instructions, one can get easily tempted to click on the emergency trim switch. As said, this causes the normal system to stop working.

However, i had a look into the manual and there is stated as well, that it is intended to work in this way (page 75, Emergency trim section). Furthermore, according to the manual, you have to reset the circuit breaker on the right side of the cockpit in order to reenable the normal trim system.

Therefore, it's not a bug but an obstacle as it can easily ruin the mission.

Resetting circuit breaker after accidentally touching emergency trim doesn't return normal trim function. Trim is out for good if you touch emergency trim.

YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/c/antimonni

PC SPECS: Win10 Home 64Bit, i5-2500K @4GHz, 32Gb DDR3, 6Gb Nvidia GeForce GTX980Ti, 2 SSDs+HDD

CONTROLS: TM Warthog HOTAS / Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals / TM MFD Cougar x4 / TIR 5

MODULES: Almost everything!

Resetting circuit breaker after accidentally touching emergency trim doesn't return normal trim function. Trim is out for good if you touch emergency trim.

That's a bug then - cycling that breaker (off and then on again) is supposed to re-enable the ordinary trim system.

You can't get it to work at all again, not by cycling main power either?

• 1 year later...
Ah, so clicking the TRIMSYST on the CB panel (so it sticks out) doesn't count as "cycle" i assume. Blame my english skills for that one :)

Other things that didn't work for me in this tutorial:

- "uncage backup artificial horizon" (neither clicking nor mousewheel does changes to the backup AH)

- "set local magnetic declination" (knob does not move by either clicking or mousewheel after lifting the clear safety cap)

Are these bugs going to be fixed? They have been present since the initial early access release of the Viggen over a year ago.

• 1 year later...

This is a good example of the frustration of being a dcs user ! A mixture a brilliant simulation and a amateur game experience. Is there a work around to complete the mission ? We spend thousands on a gaming pc , hundreds on joystick, a lot on modules ( yes in the sale but they all add up !)little things like this are the sort of experience acceptable for a £5 app on my phone! Rant over ! Can anyone suggest a work around...I am stick at that point on the cold start . Thanks people...

Can anyone suggest a work around...I am stick at that point on the cold start . Thanks people...

... get Chuck’s Guide and use the instant action cold start mission to learn the startup at your own pace.

Also, here is a good tutorial on the subject:

Bk3ShW9w6CI

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 4 months later...

Righto, I had this same issue today with the Mission 1 Cold Start Pitch Trim not working:

Researched it, found this thread and a few others and tried a workaround that does actually work for me.

1. Open the mission in Mission Editor, (.miz file is located in Eagle Dynamics/DCS/Mods/AJS37/Missions)

2. Save somewhere else outside Eagle Dynamics folder so as not to mess up the original.

3. Open the copy in Mission Editor and move the Viggen to a different parking spot, I found spot #27 works, save the mission, open the mission and you can work through the tutorial no probs.

You could test the pitch trim by creating a simple mission to be a "Start from parking hot" spawn at Senaki which will start with the engine running and hence the trim system will have power so you can check that your control bind does actually move the needle down the pitch trim dial. This would save having to work through the tutorial until the engine is running before you can check if trim is functional or not.

HTH

RDG

Edited by RaveyDaveyGravy
Clarity