F14B can carry GBU12 with TGP?

Torattacker

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the tomcats could carry bombs, but they weren't cleared to do so until the 90's iirc.

The Tomcat received the LANTIRN in the 90's, This was later upgraded to the LTS (LANTIRN Targeting system) and finally to T3 (Tomcat Tactical Targeting), the later being able to generate coordinates for IAM's like JDAM and JSOW, as well as WCMD.

I don't know what of this stuff made it's way to the B, and what was reserved for the D. Neither do we know what Leatherneck will decide to implement.

Check my F-15C guide

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the B Tomcat was cleared to carry GBU-12s but instead used the bigger GBU-16 and 24s. As for the TGP we could get the LANTIRN pod that was fitted on some of the F-14Bs, but as Sryan pointed out we don't know what sensor package we'll get at the moment tough I'm sure that we'll learn more in the coming weeks.

The Tomcat received the LANTIRN in the 90's, This was later upgraded to the LTS (LANTIRN Targeting system) and finally to T3 (Tomcat Tactical Targeting), the later being able to generate coordinates for IAM's like JDAM and JSOW, as well as WCMD.

I don't know what of this stuff made it's way to the B, and what was reserved for the D. Neither do we know what Leatherneck will decide to implement.

Great overview! I'm pretty sure that the T3 system was only for the F-14D and only on it's last cruise in 2006. The rest of those sensors were cleared for all three models of the F-14 (A, B, and D). The only exception was that TARPS equipped F-14s could not carry LANTIRN so F-14A and F-14B squadrons usually had 3 jets on cruise that could not carry LANTIRN (but could carry GBUs and target via buddy-lasing).

Tomcats started carrying bombs on cruise for the very first time around 1992 - just after Desert Storm when it became clear that they would need to diversify missions or face the chopping block. Here is VF-14 on their first cruise after DStorm:

VF-14_bombs.jpg

This was one of the first cruises with the BRU-32 racks. Only iron bombs were carried until the first LANTIRN deployment in 1996 (VF-103 on Big E). Prior to LANTIRN, A-G was really secondary function with the majority of training emphasis on A-A. After LANTIRN, precision strike became the new focus.

Another quick note: the only A-G ordnance that F-14s carried were bombs (iron bombs Mk82-84, CBUs, and GBU-12s-24s). They never carried Mavericks, rockets, ASMs, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the B Tomcat was cleared to carry GBU-12s but instead used the bigger GBU-16 and 24s. As for the TGP we could get the LANTIRN pod that was fitted on some of the F-14Bs, but as Sryan pointed out we don't know what sensor package we'll get at the moment tough I'm sure that we'll learn more in the coming weeks.

All Tomcats (except the TARPS jets) were modified to carry LANTIRN by the late 90s, so all Tomcat squadrons had that capability. There was a phase-in period, but by 1999 all remaining Tomcat squadrons had the same basic capabilities. Also, all Tomcats could carry the same spread of ordnance in terms of GBUs. Mission dictated the type. There was a tendency to carry smaller GBUs later as the Tomcat became lead in the FAC(A) role, but otherwise all 3 weights of GBUs were used as needed.

TARPS equipped F-14s didn't carry LANTIRN since the TARPS controller occupied the same space as the later fitted LANTIRN controller (F-14As and F-14Bs - all F-14Ds could carry TARPS or LANTIRN). All F-14A and F-14B squadrons would deploy with 3 TARPS jets mixed among there aircraft (Tomcats deployed in squadrons of 10-14 depending on the airwing) and TARPS was the only USN Recon platform till the Rhino received a similar pod with the F-14's retirement.

-Nick

Edited by BlackLion213

Yusss i really hope we get a (bombercat) "multi role" capable F14A/B. I know the F14s designed and intended more for a2a and interception, but as pointed out it could carry them? why not? Like Most here, I think versatility within an airframe is appreciated.

AS usual it should be up to the mission designer what kinda capabilities are present for a given mission.. Simple disallow ordiance and targeting pods on F14s for earlier scenarios if need be.

That aside even before tomcats got thier targeting pods, and PGM's, taking a looking at older SAC from 1977, shows the F14A's were rated, and actually capable of employing unguided munitions.

RRXF7Hz.png

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Yusss i really hope we get a (bombercat) "multi role" capable F14A/B. I know the F14s designed and intended more for a2a and interception, but as pointed out it could carry them? why not? Like Most here, I think versatility within an airframe is appreciated.

As stated many times before, Grumman integrated A-G from the F-14s conception. It was US Navy policy which kept it from being used early on in the Tomcats life cycle.

Leatherneck has already stated they are not sure if the "Bombcat" will be realized from initial release or come later as an add on. Most likely it will all depend on how much of the groundwork they have been able to make while working on higher priority projects up to now. I am sure as we get closer to release, they will let us know what will be released and if any future capabilities can be looked forward to.

Salute,

Punk

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As stated many times before, Grumman integrated A-G from the F-14s conception. It was US Navy policy which kept it from being used early on in the Tomcats life cycle.

Leatherneck has already stated they are not sure if the "Bombcat" will be realized from initial release or come later as an add on. Most likely it will all depend on how much of the groundwork they have been able to make while working on higher priority projects up to now. I am sure as we get closer to release, they will let us know what will be released and if any future capabilities can be looked forward to.

Salute,

Punk

But they did say they are going to be representing a mid - late 80s F14. That is no longer an "early" F14.

so i wouldn't discount the possibility, of it getting A2G munitions, at least unguided.

EDIt: ( found the quote)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=142938

Q: Which particular Airframe era will you be simulating?

"We're still ironing out some specifics here; but we're aiming for a mid-to late 80s' airframe for the -A, and mid 90s' for the -B. Thus, some features such as the glove vanes will be disabled, while some advancements and improvements in the aircraft will be included."

so with that in mind its allso likely that if we get a 90s F14B we will also end up with a targeting pods and guided muntions as well.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

From what we know so far, Leatherneck's intentions with Tomcat module is:

- To represent a mid 80s F-14A (fairly old, but not the earliest)

- Also represent a mid 90s F-14B, well down the road of Tomcat's career.

I really wouldn't expect the A variant to be TGP capable, but it will likely be able to carry some bombs.

Now, when it comes to B, so far LN stated that they haven't decided whether the LANTIRN pod will be included in the module or not, but it is a possibility.

As with all things DCS, everything is subject to change of course.

• Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

In its early days, the Tomcat was an interceptor, with the Phoenix missile being the fox 3 long stick and the Sparrow being its BVR missile going against agile opponents. Once the Phoenix was retired, the Tomcat shifted to a strike and SCAR role, as it no longer had a fox 3 capability and the F/A-18 with the AIM-120 was therefore superior in a BVR engagement.

The Tomcat's bread and butter in Kosovo was SCAR (sometimes mistakenly referred to as FAC-A), where the RIO could be full time on the LANTIRN and manage the other air assets. They were also used as buddy-lasing platforms , as the RIO could keep the laser on target and again be full time with the LANTIRN, while single-seat Hornets could come in, drop LGBs, and get out.

Either way, an early to late 90's B Tomcat needs a LANTIRN in order to do its job at the time.

The F-14 could carry bombs right from the start, as can be seen on this image of an F-14 prototype.

f14ap0aa.jpg

A secondary A2G role was actually required by the naval air systems command (NAVAIR) for the Naval Fighter Experimental (NFX) program that eventually produced the F-14, back in 1968. Every F-14 shipped from the factory came with a Stores Management System (SMS) and the AWG-9, to some extend, supports ground attack missions.

Concerning the PGM package for the F-14B, I'm sure nobody would oppose it. But we'll have to realise it would cost a lot of time and money for LNS to develop it.

Check my F-15C guide

In its early days, the Tomcat was an interceptor, with the Phoenix missile being the fox 3 long stick and the Sparrow being its BVR missile going against agile opponents. Once the Phoenix was retired, the Tomcat shifted to a strike and SCAR role, as it no longer had a fox 3 capability and the F/A-18 with the AIM-120 was therefore superior in a BVR engagement.

The Tomcat only flew for two years without the AIM-54 in its quiver... 2004 I think it was. By that time the plans had already been made to toss the Tomcats in the trash which is probably why the Navy decided to get rid of the Phoenix early.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

In its early days, the Tomcat was an interceptor, with the Phoenix missile being the fox 3 long stick and the Sparrow being its BVR missile going against agile opponents.

One of my biggest WTF moments when i first looked at some of the early Tomcat squadron paint schemes and loadouts on the old MATS page (back in the late 90's and early 2000's) was the diversity of the missile loads. I saw anything from just 2 Winders to as heavy as 4x 54's, 2x7's and 2x9's. There were cases of 4 sidewinders, 2 sidewinders and 2 sparrows, 4 sparrows and 2 sidewinders, 6 sparrows and 2 sidewinders and let me not get into the Phoenix included loads. In the early days, the Tomcat loads seam to have been anything but typical. Or maybe as some people mentioned, they were typical of squadrons or cruises.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Concerning the PGM package for the F-14B, I'm sure nobody would oppose it. But we'll have to realise it would cost a lot of time and money for LNS to develop it.

That's assuming they dont lean on the work already done for the A-10C's TGP. True it's LITENING vs LANTIRN, but I would imagine a lot of the legwork would be similar in modelling between the two, with the differences being in resolution and sensor sensitivity.

• 3 weeks later...
The Tomcat only flew for two years without the AIM-54 in its quiver... 2004 I think it was. By that time the plans had already been made to toss the Tomcats in the trash which is probably why the Navy decided to get rid of the Phoenix early.

The missile may have officially retired in 2004 (I'm not sure of that either), but in both Iraq and Kosovo (CVW-17 in 2000) I never saw any Tomcat carry the phoenix. For reference, that timeframe was a year after VF-41 pioneered the SCAR tactics as written in Black Aces High.

The missile may have officially retired in 2004 (I'm not sure of that either), but in both Iraq and Kosovo (CVW-17 in 2000) I never saw any Tomcat carry the phoenix. For reference, that timeframe was a year after VF-41 pioneered the SCAR tactics as written in Black Aces High.

VF-154 in 2003 during OIF:

BlackKnight101.jpg

VF-2 in 2003 also during OIF:

1600px-F-14D_VF-2_AIM-54C.jpeg

I remember a picture from Black Aces High that showed a Phoenix in the port shoulder pylon, I can scan it when I get home (I'm pretty sure I saw it).

-Nick

Great pics, BlackLion! Interesting that they carry the Phoenix on the wing stations so they can use the pallets for bombs. Makes perfect sense. I'm just wondering what air threats they were concerned with in 03 (but please don't answer :smilewink: ). I can see VF-41 carrying them in 1999; back then we were still worried about MiG threats in Kosovo.

• 3 weeks later...

We finally have an official answer folks. Heatblur's F-14B will not have LANTIRN capability.

I think LANTIRN might be a stretch goal, or perhaps a post-release addition, if we do it at all. It's not planned for initial release right now, but plans could change during the year depending on how things progress. We'd certainly like to do it of course, but there are so many other things that take priority.

We're focusing on the essence of what a Tomcat is + some more to begin with (e.g. TARPS). We have plenty of tricks up our sleeve for the future, however. We realize what you guys want. :)

For now it's just a matter of development resources and time.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Considering there is no dynamic campaign and no recon system in DCS, with the last attempt at implementing it by another third party was abandoned, it would seem that TARPS would be a waste of time.

Not so, I have many potential uses for TARPS...(cue diabolical laugh). :D

-Nick

PS - TARPS is really good news!