Tutorial series for the Viggen

xxJohnxx

Im not sure what I do wrong but in your navigation mission all I get in my waypoints says E1 E2 etc. like in error and it will not update. Im sure I miss something vital but cannot for the life of me figure out what.

I think that happens when the radar fix switch is in the T1 Fix position; do you have that mapped? It should be okay as soon as you set it back to T0 Fix.

Indeed, E is displayed when you have the T1 Fix Trigger depressed.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

E doesn't stand for Error, it stands for Egenfix ("fix on own position"). See https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3031870#post3031870

Thanks for confirmation, and great info in the thread you linked! :thumbup:

Can't help it, but to me "brytpunkt" sounds like it should be used in the A-10 to designate pre-planned gun engagements... :D

Hey John, do you have CCIP tutorial? For some reason I'm coming up short. Story of my life. :)

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Hey John, do you have CCIP tutorial? For some reason I'm coming up short. Story of my life. :)

I wanted to videos about the bombing stuff, however, I caught the flu and spent majority of the last couple days in bed. Once fully recovered I will get back to the tutorials:pilotfly:

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

Yikes, sorry to hear that man. The flu is never fun.

Take your time, I'm sure we can make it a few more days :)

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I still have difficulties with landing. I usually land too fast and skid around on the field until I reach 90 degrees, then tumble around until I explode. Sometimes I can get it working. Usually using speed limiter, that tends to limit the speed to dramatically and I descend too fast.

Please, please a video on landing the viggen?

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

You need to use the reverse thrust man. It's amazingly easy to bring it to a stop with that one item. No brakes needed.

• Like 1

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

You need to use the reverse thrust man. It's amazingly easy to bring it to a stop with that one item. No brakes needed.

I do use it, but it will only kick-in if the right and nose wheel touch the ground. If I land with 400 Km/h and there is a light breeze it is not easy to get them both on the ground before the plane starts rotating.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

I do use it, but it will only kick-in if the right and nose wheel touch the ground. If I land with 400 Km/h and there is a light breeze it is not easy to get them both on the ground before the plane starts rotating.

Might wanna slow down there. Normal landing speed should not exceed 310 kph and the tires are only rated at max 320 kph, go much faster and they can blow.

Yeah as stated, your coming in too hot. I keep it at about 300 and 10 degrees nose up.

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Thanks people for all the tips. I know that I'm coming too fast and that is causing the effects I'm experiencing. Problem is that my viggen drops to the ground if I'm too slow. below 380 and I cannot keep my height. This makes it difficult in the last meters to hit the beginning of the airstrip. With other planes I can manage to level flight the last meters and then descend with that speed and land. With the viggen, I need too much speed for level flight. So usually hit the grass before the airstrip (not good) or land with too much speed.

I must be doing something wrong, but not sure what.

below 380 and I cannot keep my height.

I'm sure there will be landing tutorials for the Viggen soon.

Anyway, the procedure isn't different from other aircraft, only the speed and AoA values are specific. Typically in the Viggen, you'll want a speed of 310+ kph and an AoA of 12 degrees.

Here's the thing: With these values, you won't be able to maintain level flight. In other words, you will lose altitude. The trick is to take this into account and plan your approach accordingly. Most aircraft should be flown at a glideslope between 2.5 and 3 degrees. ILS will guide you in at this glideslope, and the PAPI lights at some runways, e.g. at Batumi, will show 2 white and two red (exactly on glideslope) if you're on this glideslope.

All you need to do know is to figure out what this looks like from the cockpit, and then fly the final approach on speed and on glideslope. :thumbup:

I'm sure there will be landing tutorials for the Viggen soon.

Anyway, the procedure isn't different from other aircraft, only the speed and AoA values are specific. Typically in the Viggen, you'll want a speed of 310+ kph and an AoA of 12 degrees.

Here's the thing: With these values, you won't be able to maintain level flight. In other words, you will lose altitude. The trick is to take this into account and plan your approach accordingly. Most aircraft should be flown at a glideslope between 2.5 and 3 degrees. ILS will guide you in at this glideslope, and the PAPI lights at some runways, e.g. at Batumi, will show 2 white and two red (exactly on glideslope) if you're on this glideslope.

All you need to do know is to figure out what this looks like from the cockpit, and then fly the final approach on speed and on glideslope. :thumbup:

Thanks Yurgon. So, this means that I never actually did a real landing in any of the planes, as I was never able to master that glideslope. Need to really learn that.

The visual landing mode(rightmost master mode position) comes with a very useful pitch line indicating the correct glideslope, simply put that on the edge of the runway, fly the velocity vector onto the dot and adjust power to keep the velocity vector aoa fin connected properly to maintain 12 aoa. You might have to cycle the AFK for the fin to trigger properly, it doesnt seem to always change to landing when the gear is down.

When you get close to touchdown the velocity vector and glideslope line will change to show descent rate, while still holding 12 aoa pull the vector up to or above the line and you will touch down at a safe rate.

• Like 1

Thanks people for all the tips. I know that I'm coming too fast and that is causing the effects I'm experiencing. Problem is that my viggen drops to the ground if I'm too slow. below 380 and I cannot keep my height. This makes it difficult in the last meters to hit the beginning of the airstrip. With other planes I can manage to level flight the last meters and then descend with that speed and land. With the viggen, I need too much speed for level flight. So usually hit the grass before the airstrip (not good) or land with too much speed.

When you are on final, lined up and have the proper attitude, use your throttle to control your approach. If you are sinking too fast, and will likely end up short, add power.

The idea is not to adjust your pitch once you are setup for a final approach - only use your throttle. In other a/c you can play with flaps etc...

Just because you can land other aircraft, doesn't mean you are landing correctly.

Take this for example:

The mechanics apply, except at the end, as renhanxue said, arm your throttle reverse, and then slam it into the ground - no need to flare and hold (otherwise, you will likely fly past the runway if you are using one of the short ones).

Approach config

Approach speed

Approach Attitude

Don't play too much with the stick - find an attitude, and trim to it. Do not let your plane approach stalling speed. If you stall on final, you die.

Different airplane, similar mechanics to most fixed wing a/c.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Smee
  • Like 1

Well, that's probably the problem then. You aren't supposed to be able to keep level flight, the landing path should be a steady controlled descent to the runway threshold, if you are able to maintain level flight at any point during the landing procedure you are going to fast.

Disclaimer: i am in no way a landing expert, but there are tools in the Viggen to help you make landings easier.

Lower your landing gear and put the master mode to the visual landing setting (Land P/O, i believe?), if you'd like to can also choose to arm the thrust reverser at this point. Put the glide slope indicator (the split horisontal line with a . in the center) shown on the HUD on the runway threshold and keep it there. If you want to you can activate the auto throttle (AFK), that will enable you to only care about control inputs and not have to worry about the throttle. If the AFK is enabled, all you need to do is keep the glide slope indicator on the runway (If done well, you will have a more or less constant AoA of 12 degrees on the AoA indicator the the left just below the HUD). If you armed the thrust reverser, as soon as the nose wheel touches down, apply full dry thrust (no afterburner). when your speed decreases below ~100km/h decrease thrust to ground idle and disable the reverser and brake using the wheel brakes.

iO7AErP.jpg

The AFK aims to keep you at a constant Angle of Attack of 12 degrees, and that should help you achieving a steady descent path towards the runway.

Also, there IS a landing tutorial in the game, i get the impression that people haven't seen this. :P Just fly that over and over and you will get the feel for what speed to strive for and how far away from the runway you will need to be when you start your descent path.

Note: All of the above requires that you start your descent at an appropriate altitude and distance from the runway. The higher you are the farther away you should be, i guess. :P

As you can see in this video the Viggen has a fairly violent landing compared to a lot of other (non carrier based) fighter aircraft, and the procedure is a bit different with the speed being higher (~170-180 knots?) than it is in the A-10 (~130-~160 knots?) and the descent rate being more similar to that of a carrier landing.

Edited by RaXha
  • Like 1

Wow, I'm touched by all the people who spend their time to help me.

Thank you Vladisky, Smee and RaXha for your effort.

From all these different explanations including very nice pictures and drawings I can see following things that are different in my approach.

1- I usually start the landing procedure at 15Km distance and 500 -600 meters hight. All videos that I saw start later and lower.

2- I use the AFK autothrottle which will put me into 550 Km/h until I lower my landing gear at 15 Km to an AOA of 12 degree.

I have the feeling that at 15 Km and at 600 meter height I cannot reach the air strip using AFK. I was expecting that if I follow the manual and use automatic control, it should work.

Is anybody else using AFK during landing procedure? At which distance do you lower the gear and how high are you then?

Wow, with the new update a lot of things behave differently. It is now easier to keep the plane from falling all the time with AFK and landing gear. Landing is easier. Taxing needs more thrust? Or did I break something after landing? Mission end did not mention any broken parts.

Anybody feel a difference in AFK and gear down?

1- I usually start the landing procedure at 15Km distance and 500 -600 meters hight. All videos that I saw start later and lower.

You are starting your descent to soon. Fly level until you are closer and intercept the glide slope.

500 - 600 m altitude = 10 - 12 km distance = approx 2 min to touchdown

to start later and lower

200 m altitude = 4 km distance = outer marker = approx 48 sec to touchdown

60-80 m altitude = 1.5 km distance = inner marker = approx 18 sec to touchdown

(3° glide slope = approx 50 m per km)

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080