HUD request

westr

Hi guys. Firstly before making a request would like to say what a great job you have done/are doing with the Mirage. It's one of the most feature complete out there and I really like its little complexities FM seems to be getting more and more realistic by the updates and it looks and sounds great.

But I have a request that I'm really hoping you will look at. The HUD glass at the top just doesn't look right to me. I'm not sure if anyone else will agree? But I feel it's a shame as the rest of the cockpit looks so good. Would love to see it textured to look like glass similar to say EDs L-39?

Thanks for all your efforts Razbam. :)

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Been wondering about it the other day, but I think the shape is roughly correct, it's mostly the angle that makes it look weird in game: http://s304.photobucket.com/user/lrfoga/media/Mirage%202000C/newpicture3k.png.html

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Been wondering about it the other day, but I think the shape is roughly correct, it's mostly the angle that makes it look weird in game: http://s304.photobucket.com/user/lrfoga/media/Mirage%202000C/newpicture3k.png.html

The shape is correct but not correctly rendered though DCS engine, and the texture alpha need some tweaks. I already explained what is the problem: The 3d mesh is not rendered double-sided, only "front" oriented faces are rendered (which is a normal 3D engine behavior for non-transparent objects), but a glass is transparent, so you should also see the "back" oriented faces.

There is two possible workaround to correct this at developpers/3d artist level (for the users only texture tweaks are possible):

- if the DCS rendering engine 3D mesh import/export support it, tagging the glass 3d mesh as "double-sided".

or (if DCS engine does not supports or know any double-sided tag)

- Cloning the 3d mesh (of the hud glass) to have two 3d meshs, exactly at the same place with the same shape, but revert the normals (or vertices order) of one of the two version, so the rendering engine always draws both front and back faces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-face_culling

Edited by sedenion

• 3 months later...
The shape is correct but not correctly rendered though DCS engine, and the texture alpha need some tweaks. I already explained what is the problem: The 3d mesh is not rendered double-sided, only "front" oriented faces are rendered (which is a normal 3D engine behavior for non-transparent objects), but a glass is transparent, so you should also see the "back" oriented faces.

There is two possible workaround to correct this at developpers/3d artist level (for the users only texture tweaks are possible):

- if the DCS rendering engine 3D mesh import/export support it, tagging the glass 3d mesh as "double-sided".

or (if DCS engine does not supports or know any double-sided tag)

- Cloning the 3d mesh (of the hud glass) to have two 3d meshs, exactly at the same place with the same shape, but revert the normals (or vertices order) of one of the two version, so the rendering engine always draws both front and back faces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-face_culling

Really hope Razbam will look into it.

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

Really hope Razbam will look into it.

We will look into it.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

We will look into it.

Thank you guys. Love your work.

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO