Viggen in vr (how you feel)

misoswan

I think the Viggen is outstanding in VR. Some of the text can be a little hard to read at times but so far I have not had major problems with that (if the text is small I use the VR zoom feature).

The cockpit sounds are excellent, which also adds considerably to the VR experience.

Some of the text can be a little hard to read at times but so far I have not had major problems with that (if the text is small I use the VR zoom feature).

I noticed the Weapons Radial Selector is unreadable even with zoom. Is that you're experience as well?

Back to the OP's topic. Developers are getting better and better with VR as the technology matures. The Viggen is no exception. The real star of the show is the sound design. Every click and beep is outstanding. Think of the sounds from an Alien movie with all the analogue computers! The Viggen was designed be low and fast, as such it provides a unique experience in VR. The Interdiction mission is a prime example. As you approach the target you can see SAMs launching from their point of origin and the trails reaching above you. On egress I hit mach 1.2 at 30 meters and the ground is moving very fast. You definitely get more of a speed feeling in VR than on a 2D screen. I also hear there is a walk-man, for complete immersion!

It's fantastic! However I feel fps are less when flying the viggen, although I might chalk that up to it being in the OB. The zoom function also Halfs the frames for me... I can still overlook these small issues though and am having a blast.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Just started the tutorials in VR...so far no problem...love it :lol:

McDan out

|AMD 7800x3D | 64GB DDR5-3600| GTX 4090 | Virpil Stick, Collectiv, WW MIP, WW Throttle, MFG Crosswind V2 | Windows 11 64-bit | SSD Samsung | 4K LG Oled 48 | Oculus Q3 | Simlab based Cockpit

I feel like Viggen is the most FPS demanding module, right after MIG-21. Even in a clean mission, i see stuttering with the same graphical settings I am using for other modules. I wish developers offered an option to simplify textures and/or 3d model. Something like a "LOW - MID - HIGH" cockpit model option..

It may be the viggen or the DCS word beta, but I also notice a less stable frame rate.

But the viggen itself is beautiful in VR.

Win10-X64, I5,-8600K oc-4,8Ghz, 16GB DDR4, MSI RTX 2080ti, HOTAS Warthog, MFG crosswind pedals, KW-908 Jetseat , HTC Vive with lens mod.

have to concur, Viggen in VR is amazing and add in simshaker for Aviators and cant get much better i think. Yes this open beta seems to have some kinks in it, and the Viggen probaly needs some more optimization also. Frames are lower and lots of stutters on vr zoom in.

Other than couple growing pains its amazing!

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

I am waiting with the viggen till ED fix the stutters, freezes and bufferissues. For me unflyable in 1.5.6.

see here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3032793#post3032793

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Regarding performance compared to other modules I think that it's not solely an optimization issue. The Mig-21 and the Viggen are probably the most demanding cockpits in DCS when it comes to the detail rendered. Such graphical fidelity will always be more taxing on a computer than simpler cockpits.

1.5DP and its all pritty good to read except the weapons select and ripple dials.

I'm seeing the same FPS problems but I assume that to be open beta issues, not module related.

So far, to be honest, I think its the best module I've flown in an early access form. I probably won't fly the F5 anymore because of it. It feels great in VR. I was worried about the Maverick "sight" but its no issue. The radar is also easy enough to identify targets on. Overall, very pleased.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

One thing to keep in mind regarding performance, is that your own custom missions, be it just putting a plane on the ramp, they usually have much better performance, than the Instant Action and Training Missions, but also multiplayer missions. This is due to some visual settings of sorts, are being saved with the given missions, and it ignores your settings. What exactly that is, I havent managed to figure out yet.

Goes the other way around too. I was creating custom missions (sandboxes for practice) and hosting them, with my visual settings for VR. Buddy of mine was running single screen, and full bling, but the visuals were worse for him, than when he runs his own custom missions (saved on his PC).

Oh. And the Viggen is wonderful in VR. Spent 1½ hour yesterday, just looking around. Couldnt quit out, and just had to look at stuff. Simply put, a master piece.

Edited by Knock-Knock

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Regarding performance compared to other modules I think that it's not solely an optimization issue. The Mig-21 and the Viggen are probably the most demanding cockpits in DCS when it comes to the detail rendered. Such graphical fidelity will always be more taxing on a computer than simpler cockpits.

I don't agree with this - the Hawk is a very simple VC compared and when I flew it a couple of days ago for testing KIF, it was a complete stutterfest (on medium cockpit settings).

I don't have issues with the MiG-21bis, but then I don't use it much. I've bought the Viggen, but will wait until the 'retail' release to fly it.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

For me, the Viggen and Spitfire are the best modules in VR and the overall experience is simply fantastic.

I've been spending a lot of time in the Viggen recently and the legibility of gauges in VR with the Viggen is really good compared to earlier modules. Also, the detail level of the cockpit and sense of realism is perhaps a new high for DCS (IMHO).

Some of the recent stutter issues seem much better since yesterdays 1.5.6 update. Like others I saw the system bog down during zoom functions or rapid head movements - that now seems to be gone and performance has been quite good (better for me than the MiG-21 - which I still fly quite often).

Overall, it's simply outstanding work and I doubt you would be disappointed. I had high expectations and all of them were still exceeded. :thumbup:

-Nick

I have been flying the Viggen for a few hours now in VR (Rift CV1) and loving it. Done some training missions and some multiplayer.

Yes, I also encounter some stuttering at times, and dials are a bit hard to read even with VR zoom, but you quickly learn the positions for different modes so that's no issue for me.

Happy flying!

Regards

HoBBiS

Simpit: i7 8700k, 64GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, Oculus Rift-S, Grip: Virpil Constellation Alpha. Throttle: Virpil Mongoos T-50CM2 all mounted on a IKEA office chair with the Monstertech office chair kit.

• 1 month later...

I am really enjoying the Viggen in VR.

I do have one problem though. I have searched for this for the past hour and decided to just see if anyone else is having the same problem.

I have slight double vision when focusing on the hud. The double vision is not the HUD elements themselves, it is the actual heads up display model (the glass plate brackets and the glass).

My headset is calibrated, this doesn't happen in any other module.

I just wanted to see if anyone else is having the problem before I go ahead and post a bug report. If not, then I wont post a bug report and figure out what is going on on my end.

Edited by Boxin

i9-9900k | 2080 Ti ftw ultra | 32gb DDR4 3200 | Oculus hmd | HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | MFD Cougar

One thing to keep in mind regarding performance, is that your own custom missions, be it just putting a plane on the ramp, they usually have much better performance, than the Instant Action and Training Missions, but also multiplayer missions ... This is due to some visual settings of sorts, are being saved with the given missions, and it ignores your settings.

Is this true?

If so this should be a priority for ED to fix... how can multiplayer override your local graphics settings? What software on earth has ever done that? Why not just sync everyone's keybinds too?

I always play multiplayer and my performance isn't that great, but I attributed it to the added units / multiplayer aircraft involved over basic, just putting a plane on the ramp self created "missions".

Edited by Vullcan