Guide for DCS with VR

nandrews

I haven't been able to find a guide or a section in any other guide for how to use VR (the Vive in particular).

I started up DCS and was immediately seeing it my headset! But I have no idea how to control it even, as I can't use the mouse as before.

I'm sure there is a guide but I haven't found it.

Any help please?

Thanks

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I just installed an HTC Vive this past weekend and am having a blast relearning everything in DCS. It is truly an amazing experience in true 3D.

Anyway, back to your question... I have not found a single guide on using the VIVE in DCS, however, there is an extremely helpful sub-forum here that covers all things VR. Take a look in the Input and Output forum below and you will find the VR section. In it there is a sticky thread on HTC Vive. I found this thread to be particularly helpful in getting up and running.

For problems with the mouse, check the VR Settings tab in DCS and click the box to confine mouse within game window. This will help to keep the game from losing focus. I also found that the "5" key on the keyboards number pad will recenter your view from within the headset.

I'm still learning so probably can't help much more but feel free to post any more questions here or in the VR sub-forum as I'm sure others, more knowledgeable, will quickly help.

OK that's useful.

Only trouble is to change anything e.g., settings in DCS I need to use the mouse first - which I can't do!

Maybe I need to set it up without VR running and hopefully it will show normally on the monitor and allow me to setup these VR required settings.

I look forward to being able to fly it in VR as you and others suggest it is special.

Nigel

OK that's useful.

Only trouble is to change anything e.g., settings in DCS I need to use the mouse first - which I can't do!

Maybe I need to set it up without VR running and hopefully it will show normally on the monitor and allow me to setup these VR required settings.

I look forward to being able to fly it in VR as you and others suggest it is special.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I can't say that I've ever had any problem working with the mouse and changing settings while in VR mode. Not sure where the problem is. In any event, you may benefit from using the DCS launchers created by Skatezilla. You can find it here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

I just started using it widen I got the Vive as it has options to automatically launch DCS with or without VR. I tend not to use VR when working in the editor and then relaunch in VR when ready to fly. Give this a try and see if it helps.

Thanks.

The detail of the problem is that DCS opens as a tall narrow window when Vive VR is running and there is no mouse cursor anywhere on screen. If I switch windows Alt-Tab then the cursor reappears.

I have restarted DCS without Vive VR running and it is full screen. I have looked at the confine mouse option and it is already checked!

Nigel

• 10 months later...