[GUIDE] Traffic patterns, radio navigation and approach

MikeMikeJuliet

Hello fellow simmers!

During my time simming I've come across people from different backgrounds. Some know close to none of aviation but wish to learn. Some hail from a military background flying combat aircraft for real. And of course everything in between.

Whatever the background, there are those who just want to take their aircraft and go blow things up. On the other hand there are people like me, who wholeheartedly enjoy the whole flight from startup to shutdown.

I've written a guide for those enthusiasts who wish to know and learn how aerial navigation works and how to get an aircraft down safely following a procedure. I'm not suggesting this as any sort of "must read", for this is a hobby for all of us, and you should enjoy your hobby as you see fit. Still, I feel flying "seriously" from the beginning is a definite immersion factor and something at least I personally get a kick out of.

You know... that hair-raising IFR approach in minimum weather after a close-call combat scenario. Something that truly is an experience and something you want to tell your co-simmers about.

I've tried to write the document to be as easy to follow as possible. This way even those unfamiliar with the whole concept should be able to follow and understand. :book:

Long story short, the link is here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ojtrhuRSTYv5x0gXlxBAqcz-c00RR0D2tUvLLtIkJpo/edit?usp=sharing

Those who may be interested, the guide is made completely by me from personal experience, pictures and all. If you have any question regarding the document, please feel free to comment down below.

I sincerely hope this document helps those interested, and does NOT annoy those, who just want to go and blow thing up! Let's enjoy the hobby! :joystick::pilotfly:

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

EDIT:

30JAN17 - added clarification for the abbreviation GS, that could also mean Ground Speed

- added other abbreviations of localizer in addition to LLZ (now: LOC, LLZ and LL)

17DEC20 - published v2 of the document. The whole document has been rebuilt from scratch. Enjoy!

Edited by MikeMikeJuliet
Changelog, new link
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Good one MikeMikeJuliet :thumbup:

I spend time in the other sims from time to time and do a little IFR / VFR, Shhh don’t tell anyone.

It’s nice to mix it up in DCS, Sometimes I go from start to finish, organizing all the appropriate departure, arrival charts and checklists, sometimes even all the way down to fuel and weight.

Other times it’s nice to just fire up a quick mission in DCS and blow stuff up and dodge triple-A and forget about proper procedures.

Also HERE is a good compass image if anyone needs one with a Reciprocal Heading that can come in handy at times.

Just to add to your thread if you don’t mind MikeMikeJuliet, for those that are interested.

Another great simple KISS tutorial can be found HERE on this forum about TACAN Navigation, a must if you fly the F-5E. Need-To-Know also made the info he posted it into a PDF and can be found in his post HERE

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Hey there!

Really appreciate your guide. These are things I've wanted to learn but I do better when I have an organized reading rather than videos. Thank you so much! :)

Come join a passionate community of flight simmers everyday, live at

16hnv2f.png

PC Specs

Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.4GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7

Corsair Vengeance LED 2666MHz 32GB DDR4

H115i 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

EVGA GeForce 980Ti Hybrid (built-in liquid cooling)

EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+Gold

Samsung NVMe 950PRO M.2 SSD 512GBx2

Good write-up, definitely worth reading! :thumbup:

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

Excellent read! Now if we only had a more logical ATC...or a way for a client to perform that task

FENRIR

No KC-10 in DCS? Thank goodness for small miracles!

Intel i5 4690K OC to 4.0, Corsair CX850M PSU, 16GB Patriot Viper @ 1866MHz, EVGA GTX 1060 SC, Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, Saitek X-55, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Delanclip

Thank you. :thumbup:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

nice job, thanks

is it finalized or still WIP?

Thanks! I consider the document a "1.0" version. There are definitely things that I might revisit later down the line, and mistakes that I need to correct.

I just did a small correction and added a changelog to the first post. Anyone interested can go and see the latest updates there.

And thank you for everyone else for the positive response. If you find anomalies in the document, please let me know!

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

• Like 1

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Thanks, great work:thumbup:

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

thank you for your work:thumbup:

Aircrafts: F-16C | TF-51 | M2000C | F/A-18C | AV-8B | Viggen | KA-50 | A-10C | UH-1 | Mi-8 |

Maps: Caucasus | Persian Gulf | NTTR | Normandy | Syria

System: AMD Ryzen 3700X | 32GB Ram | AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT | Win10 64Bit | 1TB 970 EVO M.2 SSD

Equipment: TrackIR 5_Trackclip Pro |TM Warthog HOTAS | Oculus Rift S

Nicely done MMJ!

For everyone else: Now that you know how to use your TACAN, go get my COMM/NAV Card and fly a touch-n-go to every NTTR airfield. Practice makes perfect! Be a man, set your weather deck at 300 to 700 AGL and perfect the art of "scud running" ... :D

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2183887/

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]