Launching 1 Rocket Per Pod.

mattebubben

I see they have implemented the ability to launch the rockets in a salvo mode of 1 rocket per pod at a time (So 4 Pods = 4 rockets at at time).

Im guessing most people dont realize this feature is implemented as i have not seen it mentioned in the Manual or in the Tutorial.

The way you activate this feature is you set the Release mode Selector to Enkel (Single) its the same Selector Used for the RB 04E and RB 15F.

With that Set to enkel you will launch 1 rocket per pod at a time so a total of 6 releases and if you set it back on Grupp (Group) you will launch the entire Pod.

I remember the devs said they had considered implementing it but did not realize it was already implemented so decided to make this Thread to let everybody know.

Edited by mattebubben

I also discovered it by accident.

Did a Anti-ship run my first Sortie with RB 04Es and re-armed with Rockets for the next when i discovered it.

Quickly realized what it was and what caused it and im pretty sure its a feature and not a bug as they had mentioned adding it a while ago.

It was considered by LN that since training rockets can be fired in single-fire, there is no reason why live ordnance would`t be able to. That´s why it`s like so. However, nice you found out how, as I was looking for a switch, but couldn´t find it. Well done :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

But it should be a bug, since the real a/c didn't have that possibility...

Well yes and no.

Goblin probably knows better then me.

But as i had have it explained to me there are 2 different Rocket Pod types.

The the Normal ARAK pod and a Training pod.

The Normal ARAK pod launches the Rockets in a single volley.

But the Training pod was able to launch the rockets 1 at a time (and it uses the same live rockets if i understand it correctly) dont know if it was able to toggle between Single and All while in flight or not

(if it had to be set on the ground or if it could only launch singles).

But there was a Rocket Pod that was able to launch them in singles.

It was probably simply Doctrine to have them all fire at once as that was the most devastating way to use them when used in a One Pass/Haul ass sort of way.

Since while sure smaller salvos would allow better control and allow you to target more separate targets but for pure devastation over a focused area of land the having all the rockets launch together was found to be a far more devastating option.

But if there was ever a need (either from a export customer or form the Swedish airforce) to be able to launch singles im sure that would have been possible atleast if using the Training Pods

(Lets say if it was ever used in an Anti-Insurgent type of combat where being able to Loiter and fire multiple times at a targets lets say while supporting ground troops,

might take priority over the massive devastation from a single Mass Launch).

So its a Plausible addition though i dont know if the ability to change mode mid flight is as realistic or if it would have been better to either have to Set the Rocket pods on the ground to either Single or mass launch or having different Rocket Pod Types (One Mass launch Type and one Single Launches type).

It depends in how the Training Pod worked.

And since Goblin is our in house Viggen Armaments expert im hoping he might be able to answer that question

(Or correct me if i have misunderstood a bunch of stuff ^^)

Edit: I value Realism a tonne and i want the aircraft to stay realistic.

But at the same time im OK with some deviations depending on the reason a thing was not done.

If something was not done due to Doctrine but the aircraft could have done it if needed then im Okay with that but if its something the aircraft

would have been unable to do without major Modifications then im less okay with it =P.

But either way im sure they will only do what they think is best for the module and i think the end result will be a module we can all be glad to have.

And if one does not want to use a feature like the Single Launch ability one simply has the option not to do so =P

(I will probably Opt for the Mass launch most of the time not only because of mass devastation it brings but because it looks so cool ^^ )

Edited by mattebubben
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure we'll move this functionality to different weapon stores (So you load a specific pod) instead of having it bound to the selector.

TODO! :)

You sir along with LN deserve a medal, both for a flawless release (some bugs will always exist) as well as the module and the dedication. I can only say that I enjoy the heck out of Viggen. Thanks for your work :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Would be very nice to have the option to launch a rocket per pod at a time as per training pod, my first rocket run i lined up the start of my run, wanted to make sure I was aiming right and hit the trigger.

I expected to see a rocket release and then be able to gauge my accuracy from it and see what I needed to correct for my next pass. As it was, I was enveloped by a cloud of smoke and fire which atomised the point I aimed at. I remembered at that point the discussion on these forums re: the rocket pods lol

Looking at it, in a Cold War situation I would probably want my first pass to count as well so I could get the hell away from the target area and RTB, rather than potentially have to come back around at what would be a hornets nest of very angry people shooting at me :P

Goblin probably knows better then me.

Nah, you got it right! ;)

Difference between regular and training ARAK pods. The regular launched all at once (with timed delay) and the training pod could be set to singles or all. But the pilot had no way of changing this in flight.

And as Cobra stated, if they allow for trainingpods and a singe/all setting, it will be perfectly realistic.

I'm pretty sure we'll move this functionality to different weapon stores (So you load a specific pod) instead of having it bound to the selector.

TODO! :)

Pls yes, I really dislike the current solution, because that's not what this switch is supposed to do :/

But that is a minor problem in a otherwise outstanding module you guys have created there. Great work! Really really great work! That sets the bar for DCS modules to a new level (again after the MiG-21) :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Kinda like that feature but oh well

I was expecting this. :D

You would have modded it in if it wouldn't be there, I'm sure ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg