TM Warthog, no rudder pedals, planes keep tail spinning/crashing

beowulf71

Hey all,

So I am the proud owner like many of you of the Warthog controllers. I loaded up the latest TARGET software, got the DCS FCS F15-C profile loaded. Problem is, every time I fly, any aircraft really, as soon as I push on the thrust, my plan immediately veers to the right and tail spins and crashes.

I am taking a wild guess that it has something to do the the rudder. I dont have rudder pedals, nor do I really use the rudder. I am not a pilot.. so truly dont know how to use the rudder. I am not opposed to buying pedals eventually, but for the short term, I would prefer to just turn it off and not use it while flying.

First, is the rudder really needed for much? A pilot friend of mine who flew the F15 said he almost never used the rudder in real combat situations, though he did say he did ground attack runs, not dog fighting and mentioned that it is mostly used when dog fighting.

Is there a way to configure one of the directional hats on the thrust or joystick to be rudder control.. and if there is, what is ideal for those flying with the Warthog that also dont have pedals?

Lastly, the TARGET software says to make sure to turn on AXIS in the game. I use the controllers for a space simulator as well. I am not sure really what this means? Do I need to check a box somewhere in DCS World 2.0 to enable it? When I go to controller configuration, it shows x,y,z axis mapped to my virtual TM joystick.

Thanks.

i don't use target software so i really cant help you there. But in game when you move your throttle OR joystick look and see if your rudder peddles in game move at all.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

You can use the keyboard for rudder, it's a little harder than pedals, but in the F-15C once your off the ground you don't need it. Definitely check your axis assignments for conflicts.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

So I am the proud owner like many of you of the Warthog controllers. I loaded up the latest TARGET software, got the DCS FCS F15-C profile loaded. Problem is, every time I fly, any aircraft really, as soon as I push on the thrust, my plan immediately veers to the right and tail spins and crashes.

Regardless of TARGET or not, you should check all axis mappings in DCS.

When you're flying, hit ESC, then "Adjust Controls", then select "Axes" and then delete every axis mapping that you don't need. From your description, one of the Warthog's throttles is probably mapped to the rudder, thus providing very unwanted inputs. ;)

First, is the rudder really needed for much?

It depends.

Modern aircraft may not require use of rudders unless you want to do something really fancy. In aircraft that are more basic and don't use computers to interpret the pilot's inputs, rudders are needed in every turn in order to keep it coordinated, hence the term "coordinated turn".

For starters, you don't really need them in the F-15 unless one engine fails or you need to take off or land in heavy crosswind.

But if you're interested in aviation, you should try and figure out what rudders are, what they do, how they affect the flight path, and when and why they should be used. If you *really* want to know why rudders can save the day, google "Gimli Glider" and "forward slip" :)

Is there a way to configure one of the directional hats on the thrust or joystick to be rudder control.. and if there is, what is ideal for those flying with the Warthog that also dont have pedals?

Sure, when you configure the controls, you can assign any keyboard or joystick key to F-15C -> Flight Control -> Aircraft Rudder Left/Right

It's up to you which one you prefer, or to omit it entirely. You can always hit the X and Z keys on the keyboard for rudder when you need it.

Lastly, the TARGET software says to make sure to turn on AXIS in the game.

Can you quote that paragraph? Not sure what it's supposed to mean. But I am sure that DCS works okay with a TARGET profile and also works okay with the TM Warthog when no TARGET profile is used. In other words, I don't think you need to set any special button in DCS just to be able to use the Warthog. :thumbup:

Thank you all for replies. That makes sense.. the thrust forward must be wired to rudder. If I just start out and dont touch thrust, it works fine.

Ill take a look at Axis. I am wondering why the thrust would ever default to the rudder though..seems odd that without having touched anything, it initially sets up to that configuration.

Thank you.

seems odd that without having touched anything, it initially sets up to that configuration.

DCS brings a few tailor-fit profiles; the TM Warthog works with the A-10C out of the box almost perfectly set up.

In most other cases, DCS has a default mapping and applies it to all joystick devices. In most cases it doesn't make much sense and it's definitely recommended to check all axes and remap them if necessary.

On a side note, not too long ago this could only be done in the game's options. It wasn't possible to do it while in-game. And it wasn't possible on multiplayer. You newcomers don't know how good you have it. :D