looking for opinions on a new compter...

fitness88

I'm going to get another Dell computer...have had nothing but great performance/reliability from previous systems and when needed great support.

Alienware Area 51 or Alienware Aurora will be my choice not sure which I should choose so your opinions on the computer choice and components would be appreciated.

Components:

• i7 processor
  • upgrade 16 to 32 ram
  • probably Nvidia 1070...1080 is quite a bit more not sure if it's worth the extra$?

Thank you.

Depends which I7 processor, specify please

16 gigs is mostly enough for a lot of games... depends on the prize of 32 gigs, maybe go for it, maybe not.

1070/1080 is definitly good, but if you have extra money, wait for the 1080 Ti just for comparsion...

16 gigs is mostly enough for a lot of games... depends on the prize of 32 gigs, maybe go for it, maybe not.

1070/1080 is definitly good, but if you have extra money, wait for the 1080 Ti just for comparsion...

I'll get the i7 specs to you.

The thing is, an upgrade here...an upgrade there, boy it adds up fast! So I'm trying to be as cost affective as possible by putting my $ into where it'll do the most good.

I'd also like to hear from someone who has the Alienware Area 51 or Alienware Aurora to give me some feedback in that department.

I'll get the i7 specs to you.

The thing is, an upgrade here...an upgrade there, boy it adds up fast! So I'm trying to be as cost affective as possible by putting my $ into where it'll do the most good.

I'd also like to hear from someone who has the Alienware Area 51 or Alienware Aurora to give me some feedback in that department.

If you're willing to build it yourself you'll get much more for your money. If it's a route you'd want to take, I'd be more than willing to help you out.

I have an Area 51. I ordered it back in March and got it in April. I recently swapped out the dual 970's for a Titan X a week ago. Beast of a machine. I'm able to run everything on High settings with very few issues. Any issues I've had have been due to the newer updates issues. The rest of my rig details are in my signature.

Alienware Area 51, Windows 10, I7-5820k, 6 cores 15mb Cache Overclocked to 3.8GGZ, 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133mhz, Dual Nvidia Titan X 12MB. 2TB 7200rpm sata 6gb/s,

WOW!

Dunno where you are located but here in DK the area 51 costs a fortune.

For that kind of money I could easily build my own pc with top quality parts and still have money left.

Anyway, if DCS is all you use your computer for, 4 cores in the CPU is more than enough since DCS only runs on two, and you want those two to run as fast as possible. That is, go for a CPU that you can overclock to hell but still run it stable.

Here is a link regarding the CPU in the Dell:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-broadwell-e-6950x-6900k-6850k-6800k,4587-7.html

For comparison I run my 6600k @4.5Ghz with an aircooler and it doesn't even come close to overheating.

As for RAM, 16 should be the minimum. I went for 32 but dunno if i'll ever use that much.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

WOW!

Dunno where you are located but here in DK the area 51 costs a fortune.

For that kind of money I could easily build my own pc with top quality parts and still have money left.

Anyway, if DCS is all you use your computer for, 4 cores in the CPU is more than enough since DCS only runs on two, and you want those two to run as fast as possible. That is, go for a CPU that you can overclock to hell but still run it stable.

Here is a link regarding the CPU in the Dell:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-broadwell-e-6950x-6900k-6850k-6800k,4587-7.html

For comparison I run my 6600k @4.5Ghz with an aircooler and it doesn't even come close to overheating.

As for RAM, 16 should be the minimum. I went for 32 but dunno if i'll ever use that much.

I'm in the US. I'm not even close to being computer savvy. I bought it after checking with the guy who runs the IT for the company I own. He's who I got the Titan X from. The Area 51 was around $2200 with my corporate discount. Not cheap, but I could have spent more. I'm a plug and play kinda guy. I want my toys to work and I'll spend the money to make it happen. If you think I spent a lot on my pc, you'd really freak out if you saw my guitar collection. And don't get me started on my hot rods.:music_whistling:

Alienware Area 51, Windows 10, I7-5820k, 6 cores 15mb Cache Overclocked to 3.8GGZ, 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133mhz, Dual Nvidia Titan X 12MB. 2TB 7200rpm sata 6gb/s,

bobslob: thank you for the offer, it's very kind of you to offer. Even though I am very comfortable working with electronic components I find more comfort in having the Dell warranty. Even though I understand the additional cost I'll be going that route.

riproren: I noticed you have 8gigs of ram, how come you didn't go for at least 16? Also you didn't get a solid-state drive, how come? I may be mistaken but I thought Area 51 came pre-configured with 16 gigs of ram and a 512 SSD [edit: I was mistaken; the starter Area 51 comes with 8gig and no SSD ]?

Svend_Dellepude: I'll read the link a bit later thanks.

Thanks all for the input...keep it coming!

Edited by fitness88

Processor choice...?:

Intel® Core™ i7-6800K Processor (6-cores, 15MB Cache, Turbo Boost Max 3.0,Overclocked up to 3.9 GHz)

OR

Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor (4-Cores, 8MB Cache, Turbo Boost 2.0, Overclocked up to 4.4GHz)

My 2c is to save a little on the processor and go with better graphics card.

With gaming rigs, graphics card always be the most important part to invest in if you're on a budget.

I still have a i5 3570K, overclocked @ 4.5Ghz . I'm trying to say is that I get steady 40-60+ fps with my 980Ti with such old i5 processor. Games run at 3440 x 1440 ultrawide, plus the 2x little 8" (1280x1024) MFD screens.

Thanks razo+r I read the info, now I understand the bigger the number is not always the better but I don't really understand the + or - of i7-6950X v. i7-7700k [10 Cores, 20 Threads v. 4 Cores, 8 Threads]. I'll do some more reading.

Edited by fitness88