Short approach help?

Fishbreath

The manual says that a short approach can be selected by 'flip-flop': going from LANDN NAV to LANDN P/O and back before LB is selected as a destination. Whenever I have an airfield waypoint selected, though, switching to LANDN NAV automatically selects LB, and the flip-flop keeps LB selected. Am I missing a step? Do I have to switch to another waypoint, then do the flip-flop, then switch back to the airfield?

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

Same here.

In fact I can't get TILS to work 100% at all. I get to B2 ok and get steering cues to start around the circle towards LF then the cues go awry and start taking me off on a nice little jaunt through the local countryside 45 deg away from the runway.

If I try the flip flop method I get cues to B2.

Anyone know if the TILS system is working ok? Maybe a tutorial or a training video would be a good idea. The manual explains the system great, but trying to put it into practice or get it to work is a wee bit different.

There was a change to the TILS system in the last update, but the discription of it wasn't clear, anyone know what exactly it was?

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Is it the same LB? Because the flip-flop should select a LB that is closer to the airfield. If it selects the same LB it is a bug.

Let me set up a test mission to verify. (Note the manual seems to say the flip-flop selects LF, which is evidently misleading.)

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

Let me set up a test mission to verify. (Note the manual seems to say the flip-flop selects LF, which is evidently misleading.)

I thought LF is the point at the end of the runway, LB is the intersection point with the approach circle, I seem to remember reading in the manual.

Anyway, if I do a flip-flop I get the LF in the waypoint indicator but the system still takes me off in to the local countryside! :huh:

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

I haven't tried since the most recent patch. I'm going to shoot an approach in a bit.

bart, TILS is definitely working. It may be that you're trying to line up too directly, and the system is directing you quickly back to the oddball TILS off-angle approach. Three degrees doesn't sound like a lot, but it looks like a ton.

• Like 1

TILS with short approach is working I think.

I'm going to upload a video right now, where I perform a normal TILS landing. I will attach the mission to the video.

Uploading takes so long.. :doh:

Look forward to watching it, thanks. :thumbup:

I haven't tried since the most recent patch. I'm going to shoot an approach in a bit.

bart, TILS is definitely working. It may be that you're trying to line up too directly, and the system is directing you quickly back to the oddball TILS off-angle approach. Three degrees doesn't sound like a lot, but it looks like a ton.

Yeah, you're probably right. With visual on the runway I'm expecting for it to place me slap bang on the threshold so yes could well be me. Let us know how your test goes......

Anyone know what the latest change was about to the TILS system in the last update?

Quote "Changed TILS-landing phase 2 to phase 3 switch so the airplane must be pointed towards the airfield to lessen the likelihood of skipping phase 2. "

Edited by bart

Yeah, you're probably right. With visual on the runway I'm expecting for it to place me slap bang on the threshold so yes could well be me. Let us know how your test goes....."

So I ran a quick test mission (sorry about my cough). Flip-flop works as expected after all; either I wasn't paying attention to the CI when I switched before, or I was doing something wrong.

The video also includes a rather poor approach and landing, since I've never flown a short approach or a clean approach before, which shows the how the TILS will first swing you past the threshold toward the offset approach, then bring you back to the three-degree line.

Short approach help?

Phase 1: You are directed by the nav-system to fly to a point 20 or 40(?)km away from the runway, called LB.

Phase 2: when near the LB-point the navsystem commands a slow turn towards the airfield that ends when the plane is at 45 degrees relative to the runway heading. If the plane has a valid TILS-reception, is within a certain distance from the TILS-station and are within a certain angle from the runway heading it goes to phase 3.

Phase 3: the TILS-station is giving the aircraft (if TILS are used) steering instructions that if followed will make the aircraft intercept and follow that 3 degree-off path down to the runway.

Before the patch, if you approached the airfield from certain angles it would often skip from phase 1 directly to phase 3 because all prerequisites for phase 3 was already fulfilled. This would especially be a little confusing if having airfield behind you. I just added the requirement that the plane also needed to be somewhat pointed towards the airfield to be allowed to go to phase 3.

• Like 1

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Thanks for the explanation RagnarDa :thumbup:

I think it was the 45 deg angle you come out of the turn and start to head toward the runway that was confusing me. My head was still in "normal" ILS approach mode thinking I should be heading direct toward the runway - which I could see in front of me - and the steering cue was correctly directing me toward the angle approach of the Viggen. Now I have my head around things, and just tried it on several servers including a very cool night approach and all worked flawlessly.

You were perfectly right Fish, it was the angle. :doh:

Thanks guy's for the help, rep to you both. :)

Awesome module this......

Edited by bart

You were perfectly right Fish, it was the angle. :doh:

Believe me, I understand—on my first three or four TILS approaches, I had the exact same problem. "This can't possibly be what it wants me to do!" etc. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I enquired earlier about landing nav and HUD displays in general and got this video

I've only been doing TILS pratice runs at foggy Batumi and its been working fine

The video is excellent its the only one I've come across that shows TILS in action with titles informing us what's going on

Big thanks to Sgt Cyanide

• 1 month later...

Sgt_Cyanide

What Radar master mode are you in while attempting to find and land?

Why did you turn off the Slav-si?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .