Feature request :)

BlackLion213

Dear Leatherneck simulations,

EDITED

While looking through pictures recently, I realized that there are two well-defined (more or less) configurations for the F-14 from the 1980s onward: shore configuration and CV configuration.

The ask is for two things:

- The ability to configure the DCS F-14 as it was seen around the boat (or work-ups) with tanks and pylons even if no weapons are loaded and/or no fuel in the drop tanks.

- Have the static/parked F-14s equipped with pallets and tanks since thats how they would be seen >80% of the time when away from their home base (Miramar or Oceana)

The benefit is that it allows users to operate the aircraft in a realistic manner around the boat even when not carrying ordnance and it depicts the AI F-14s in their most common configuration.

The clean configuration is only seen at Miramar or Oceana, exception being a DACT Det to Key West or maybe El Centro.

image178.jpg

VF-103_1984_upload.png

However, F-14s deployed on carriers and during work-ups (CVW training at Fallon or training deployments on the boat) were almost always configured with forward phoenix pallets and the 280 gallon fuel tanks. I suspect that this was chosen to maximize operational flexibility and minimize the need to store ancillary equipment. This setup seems to persist even when no weapons were hung. It seems that the phoenix pallets are removed just when needed for weapons placement (such as 4x4 load-outs).

VF-14_CAG.jpg

NL_200_bank_sunset_upload.png

NH_106_1987upload.png

There were exceptions of course, but something like 80% of deployed F-14s (at least in photos) are configured this way.

It may not be a feasible request, but I figured it would be a realistic feature for the F-14 so it's worth a mention.

Best,

Nick

PS - I fear that I may have mentioned something like this before....so if this is a repeat I apologize...bound to happen after 2 years of posting. :)

Edited by BlackLion213

not sure i understand how exactly your proposal would work in terms of game mechanics but if empty pallets were available in the loadout menu i think you could effectively have what you're asking for while maintaining full configuration freedom?

Sorry for the confusing post, I made some necessary adjustments. :)

basically you're just asking for a loadout which consists of the pylons/pallets but no hung missiles?

Considering the A-10C has load out options for similar, I don't see why not.

I didn't realize that the A-10C has this feature (or something like it).

not sure i understand how exactly your proposal would work in terms of game mechanics but if empty pallets were available in the loadout menu i think you could effectively have what you're asking for while maintaining full configuration freedom?

Yes, that would do it from the standpoint of player aircraft. In my post edit, I also mentioned the benefit of having the static aircraft equipped realistically as well. Even for a training deployment to Nellis, the F-14s would sit on the tarmac with pallets and tanks, only removing them for ACM training (some of the time).

Thank you for the feedback and I'm hoping my new post makes more sense. :)

-Nick

im confused in your distinction between player and static aircraft, since to my understanding, static aircraft are simply uncontrolled ai planes, which would nevertheless have the option to be defined by the mission creator in the editor to have the appropriate loadout, whether clean, palletted, or armed, their setup being no different than client planes.

am i missing something?

• Like 1

im confused in your distinction between player and static aircraft, since to my understanding, static aircraft are simply uncontrolled ai planes, which would nevertheless have the option to be defined by the mission creator in the editor to have the appropriate loadout, whether clean, palletted, or armed, their setup being no different than client planes.

I meant the static/parked models (I adjusted the first post again).

In addition to AI aircraft there are also static models for parked aircraft. These will be important for completing the appearance of the DCS CVNs/CVs. I believe these are placed in the mission editor as static objects instead of AI aircraft.

Thats what I meant. I agree that regular AI aircraft follow the same rules and could be similarly equipped through the mission editor.

-Nick

The request is fine. However, the intention of targeting the underside pallets isn't actually true. This was more dependent on era and location. For example, most Med configurations in the mid 80s to early 90s was 2x2 and 4x4, depending on where the boat was sailing. So having the flexibility to predispose models on the deck for this reason is good, but it's important to confirm by actual practice for the respective cruise and area.

So having the flexibility to predispose models on the deck for this reason is good, but it's important to confirm by actual practice for the respective cruise and area.

I agree, but suspect that there won't be more than one static model for parked F-14s. My hope is to have the flexibility to configure "unloaded" F-14s the way they often flew (which does vary by locale, squadron, and era); which means having the option for a broad array of configurations.

However, concerning the static model I simply wanted to point out the the most common, deployed configuration for F-14s included pallets and tanks even when the aircraft was empty. Med deployments did favor sparrow/sidewinder load-outs (including the Gulf of Sidra incident in 1989), though there are still perhaps as many photos of Med deployments (if not more) of them with pallets than not - at least perusing cruise books and archives. :)

I didn't mean to imply that F-14s were always configured this way, but a review of numerous photos from the 1980s to 2000s did show that they were usually configured that way. That said, I hardly complain if LNS' static model does not have phoenix pallets....as long as it at least has tanks. :P

-Nick