Colored labels to depict 'era'

carss

I think this should make making missions easier, and can also help in the quick mission builder.

Basically when you go into the mission editor, then add a plane on the map, when you select the drop down menu to choose which plane, the options can be colored differently to depict the era they are from. Like the WW2 planes can be Royal blue, early cold war planes like the Sabre and the Mig-15 can be navy blue, The mid cold war/Vietnam war and supersonic planes can be light blue and present gen planes like 4th gens can be white.

The same thing can be applied to ships and ground vehicles!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

There is a thread here about this made some time ago. simple idea was to have an option to have the mission editor filter aircraft and weapons out depending on the date that the mission takes place, as per introduction and retirement from service.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

But if you filter it, I don't think you will have the ability to keep planes of different eras together, like an F-15 and a P-51 together

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

if you dont reflexively know what era a plane is from the moment you see its name then the problems on your end :)

Planes are still easy, but people can get confused with this when it comes to things like ground units or ships. Like soon we may have WW2 ships in DCS with planes like the F4F Wildcat in the pipelines, same goes for tanks too, and people can get confused.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

no, it just means there's more things for you to educate yourself on

we all know the story: community asks devs to do their work for them, and then complain afterwards about there being no content

better leave that mainstream gaming laziness at the door, this is a study sim.

Edited by probad

See I know it's a study sim, but not everyone is gonna be an expert at everything, and this isn't to give them free info, it's just to classify the vehicles by era or time they served to make it easier to know what goes with what, that's all

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have no problem with a feature like this. The Strike Fighters series has fields in its aircraft type that represent service start and end years for the aircraft. This is useful since there are so many airframe variants (e.g. F-4B/D/E/G/J/N/S), as the ME would filter aircraft with dates that range outside of the mission date. I think a filter option is a great idea, and I think it should also optionally be applied to skins (e.g. for F-15 skins that span the airframe's 40+ year lifespan).

I'm all for filtering. I would also apply this to all ground units, munitions, etc. A cool way to do it is when you set the year of the mission it does so accordingly. And I agree that there should also be an easy way to have everything available if so desired.

I'm all for filtering. I would also apply this to all ground units, munitions, etc. A cool way to do it is when you set the year of the mission it does so accordingly. And I agree that there should also be an easy way to have everything available if so desired.

That too is a good idea, however I think that shouldn't mean that units of other eras should be excluded then. I think the setting of an era is perfect in the quick mission builder.

And as for the quick mission builder, I think they should also have a system to auto match up certain countries with others based on reality, like North Korea with South Korea, or China with Japan or India, or Israel with Syria, Egypt or Jordan etc. Similar to how it's US vs Russia by default.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]