Help with bearings?

TripRodriguez

Hey guys, I'm working on building some custom controls for my helicopter pit and my lack of familiarity with bearings and the ways different types are mounted is making things a bit difficult for me so I was hoping some of you might be able to very easily tell me what I'm looking for.

The first thing is for the pedals: What I need looks like what I know as a "pillow block" except instead of mounting to a flat surface it mates with a tube. In my appication I need the cross tube to be fixed, and the pedal portion to rotate freely on it. I need to know what to type into ebay to search for this part.

See the marked part in the attached image.

I'm probably going to have at least one other similar question, once I know what the question is exactly I'll post it here as well

Thanks for any help.

1833576022_pedalsscreen.jpg.673c514312f0d41d6edc5f69a753d6f4.jpg

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

That doesn't look like a bearing but rather a bracket that is part of the pedal itself, like these but bigger:

585600_attachment_block_b_4pk_.jpg

The actual bearing is likely inside the floorboard where that tube goes through.

Pillowblock bearings are generally very bulky/heavy and overkill for what you are doing but they are convenient in how they mount, though of course you can use them. Here's a pair of pedals I made for sailplanes that are very similar in form and function to anti-torque pedals. There's not a ball bearing in this case, just the sleeves of the pedal riding on a beefy shaft and for this configuration it's perfectly adequate... they feel like real glider pedals and would easily support my full weight if I were in a nosedive and at +/-20deg or so it doesn't matter much whether it's a ball or sleeve bearing. The pedals are from an Aeronca Champ ($40, ebay), the torque tubes/turnbuckles from a wrecked glider and the rest just junk.

yKfrKYR.jpg

ServoCity has a decent selection of smaller pillowblocks and a lot of other useful parts if you are trying to avoid machining.

https://www.servocity.com/motion-components/rotary-motion

https://www.servocity.com/structural-components

https://www.servocity.com/structural-components

Thanks guys! @Thadiun Okona sounds good, but can you give me more detail on how that pedal set is assembled to make sure it is smooth? What's in the middle, hidden from sight? I need the "for dummies" explanation.

Also everyone, I've got my 2nd question figured out. How do I build a yoke type link (say building a joystick gimbal from scratch) with nice smooth action (bearings/bushings)?

I want to actually physically link my left and right sticks, with the left stick gimbal possibly built from scratch and the link between the two definitely built from scratch. Just bear in mind I essentially don't know where to start. All the builds I find online seem to assume the reader is familiar with this basic stuff!

PS- Just FYI main joystick will be microhelis.de cyclic base. Also I want to have pots also mounted on the co-pilot gimbal for when I want latency free control from that seat.

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim: