Rift, Vive, or wait?

Boris

I just read that Oculus has lost the lawsuit against Zenimax. Apparently they now want to stop oculus from selling the rift?

Oculus actually won the lawsuit, they were just fined mostly for copyright infringement because they used Doom as part of their Kickstarter program. What I'm reading now is that Zenimax is threatening to sue for a halt on Rift production is more so just a threat to keep Oculus from appealing the ruling so they don't have to pay. Zenimax is just trying to ensure that they get the money. Oculus is owned by Facebook so I don't think Facebook will let it fail in any way.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oculus actually won the lawsuit, they were just fined mostly for copyright infringement because they used Doom as part of their Kickstarter program. What I'm reading now is that Zenimax is threatening to sue for a halt on Rift production is more so just a threat to keep Oculus from appealing the ruling so they don't have to pay. Zenimax is just trying to ensure that they get the money. Oculus is owned by Facebook so I don't think Facebook will let it fail in any way.

I was kind of hoping this will lead to a price drop as retailers would want to get the Stock off the shelves. :D

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I vote wait for improved tech. I just returned my second OR CV1 for a combination of factors.

- Poor build quality resulting in intermittent cable connections

- Poor visual acuity despite numerous physical adjustments and software setting variations

- Good 3-D panning and sensation of flight

- Poor heat dissipation from the "scuba mask" (perhaps I should have flown in the tub)

- High cost vs. performance benefit

- Artifact anomalies that could be optical lens errors, my myopia or software generated

Your results may differ ... have at it but: CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Final assessment: For flight simulation, the unit is not ready for prime time. The VR concept is worth pursuing IMHO.

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I only tried the Vive in various sims for a day or two, but my vote is "wait" or at least "try before you buy". It's a great technology promise, but the resolution is simply not there and for me it kills most of the immersion.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

You guys are killing me :P

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I was previously of the mind to wait until the next version, until recently. I went ahead and purchased the Rift CV1 a couple of weeks ago and am very glad I did.

In my case, the immersion it gave me of actually being in that plane and in that world, far outweighs the current shortcomings. I don't see myself going back to 2d gaming at this point.

I am having a blast flying the Spit and the KA-50 in VR, and very much looking forward to what the future will bring for the tech.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You guys are killing me :P

haha! I think it comes down to you just making a personal decision at this point. While VR sounds amazing (some people are saying they could never go back to 2d) it is also a technology still in its infancy.

As I said in this thread or another (forget which), I am waiting for the next generation. While this generation works with decent results you still have the issues where the resolution isn't quite where it needs to be yet. So I want to wait until there is a slight resolution increase, then hope my two 980s can run that resolution at a good stable FPS.

As far as Vive vs Rift... It does sound like the Rift is a bit better for the seated experience... but missing out on roomscale and the scummy things the company behind the rift have been allegedly doing... I would have a tough time supporting them.

So... yea, I am waiting. :)

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Ok, so I've taken the plunge and bought a Rift via Amazon. If I don't like it for whatever reason they're usually very good with returns.

I hope my girlfriend won't be too unhappy. She doesn't control my finances but we kind of need a little money for our wedding as well... :D

Ok, so I've taken the plunge and bought a Rift via Amazon. If I don't like it for whatever reason they're usually very good with returns.

I hope my girlfriend won't be too unhappy. She doesn't control my finances but we kind of need a little money for our wedding as well... :D

Money to vr over wedding hehe, you like living dangerously I see :D

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

In my opinion, you wouldn't go wrong with the Rift for flight sims. The biggest problem facing VR for flight sims is performance and resolution, which are relatively interdependent. I don't see either of those improving enough by the next generation to make a significant difference. We can't have more resolution without better performing simulators, and those don't seem to be on the way any time soon.

Don't do it Boris! Keep the future wife happy ... a divorce costs a thousand Rifts. Don't create a financial rift before you even get started ... :doh:

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was previously of the mind to wait until the next version, until recently. I went ahead and purchased the Rift CV1 a couple of weeks ago and am very glad I did.

In my case, the immersion it gave me of actually being in that plane and in that world, far outweighs the current shortcomings. I don't see myself going back to 2d gaming at this point.

I am having a blast flying the Spit and the KA-50 in VR, and very much looking forward to what the future will bring for the tech.

Hey,

Yesterday I visited a friend and he owns the rift.. I myself fly trackir. I did get in the M2000 with the rift on my head, and like 4 sec after takeoff I did get this feeling in my stomach, and as I pulled the stick towards my body I seriously just waited for my body to start feel heavy as G forces would. Well, no G-force but I sure as hell did order a Rift today. Its abesloutly amazing, and I had NO idea it would feel so real. Looking back on wings, and you really get the feeling you are there. Same thing as you blast thru the mountains and looking up and down in the valley.

My 5 cent for VR.. it rocks.

Sry no input against rift or vive. And the bad English

In my experience (vive) VR sickness diminished rather quickly with use and minor adjustments.

Yes, confirmed :thumbup: I usually get motion sickness really fast and heavy...and don't have any problems in vr! Just the first few times I felt a little dizzy after a few minutes...but that was gone really soon! I'd say if my stomach can handle it..everyone else's will do :smilewink:

i7 6700k @ 4,5 Ghz | MSI 1080ti Aero | 32 GB RAM 2133 | 500 GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive |:pilotfly:

I have been following the rift since day one. I had the DK1,DK2, Gear VR Innovators Edition, Gear VR consumer version and the CV1. Get the rift now and dont look back. This technology is not as fast paced as the mobile market. I'm thinking there wont be a CV2 for at least 3 or 4 years.

VR technology isnt the problem, the problem is graphics cards, Nvidia and ATI need to step up their game. To run VR at the resolution and FOV that most of us want is probably 5, maybe 10 years away from a affordability standpoint. It's like going back in time to 1990 and saying I'm not going to buy a TV right now, I'm going to wait until HDTV comes out. You are going to miss a lot of good TV shows in that time frame lol.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

VR technology isnt the problem, the problem is graphics cards, Nvidia and ATI need to step up their game. To run VR at the resolution and FOV that most of us want is probably 5, maybe 10 years away from a affordability standpoint. It's like going back in time to 1990 and saying I'm not going to buy a TV right now, I'm going to wait until HDTV comes out. You are going to miss a lot of good TV shows in that time frame lol.

You are so wrong. First of all AMD and Nvidia already have technology but they are not implemented how from VR as well from Software developers. You have possibility that cards in SLI/CF work in the way that one single GPU work only for one eye. Also there is technology which are rendering picturewith diferent quality. In focus is rendered 100% and how it is spread to peripheral vision this render quality drooping what increasing GPU performance.

Technology which allowing 4K per eye with mid range GPU is already here so next generation of VR is not depending on hardware. It is only on VR and software developmant.

You can also sell it for almost the same price on eBay.

Be prepared to be blown away and dont show it your gf, she might want it for herself :)

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Agreed. I totally get people who say "wait for the next gen" But here's the thing. Every once in a while, a technology comes along that is a revolutionary rather than evolutionary. VR is simply a game changer.

King's Quest was a game changer simply because you could walk off in any direction.

Doom/Duke Nukem was a game changer because the builtin multiplayer allowed teams of people to play head to head.

VR is a game changer worth the first gen pricing. It's just that much better.

When I watch YT videos of A10 pilots doing CAS mission, I always wondered how they kept the orientation in the heat of the moment "south of the river, but west of the treeline" Because on a 2D monitor, your do *not* have situational awareness. You can't because it's a 2D representation of 3D world.

VR makes you realize what you were missing in terms of situational awareness.

So my advice is to jump in. But if you'd rather wait for 2nd gen VR....do *not* try VR :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I keep reading this stuff and it makes it harider and harder to wait....

"Resistance is useless"

It seems there is a somewhat mixed result as to what people expect and some variation in how people rate the experience. This maybe down to variations in hardware and simply the way people process the information presented in the rift (and other VR systems). In as much as some people find 3D movies to be something they visually enjoy or not.

In my case I found the rift to be an awesome experience in DCS 2.0.4, admittedly I currently only fly Huey and Gazelle but for me the experience is great. I have commented elsewhere in this and other threads.

Is it perfect no, for me the sense of immersion is most certainly worth the expense. :thumbup:

YMMV

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Ok, so I got my Oculus Rift this weekend.

The verdict: Yes, it's awesome and I'm keeping it.

The immersion is indeed the deciding factor. It feels completely different, like you're actually inside the cockpit. TrackIR just doesn't compare. The tracking is incredibly smooth and accurate too.

I will need to get used the the low resolution though. Coming from the crystal clarity of a 4k screen is quite a downgrade.

The upside is that due to the lower resolution I now have more graphics power to spare. I've given up on SLI (too many headaches anyway) and have sold one card to cover most of the costs for the Rift.

I will need to get used the the low resolution though. Coming from the crystal clarity of a 4k screen is quite a downgrade.

This is the hardest aspect to explain to someone who looks at the resolution difference only, and it's also the most difficult thing to explain just how it changes the DCS experience. Enjoy, the VR will only get better as the next generation devices come out but for now you get to enjoy the 3D world of DCS. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

You are so wrong. First of all AMD and Nvidia already have technology but they are not implemented how from VR as well from Software developers. You have possibility that cards in SLI/CF work in the way that one single GPU work only for one eye. Also there is technology which are rendering picturewith diferent quality. In focus is rendered 100% and how it is spread to peripheral vision this render quality drooping what increasing GPU performance.

Technology which allowing 4K per eye with mid range GPU is already here so next generation of VR is not depending on hardware. It is only on VR and software developmant.

So let me get this straight. Oculus and Steam have been stating for 5 years that they cant do affordable HIGH resolution VR because the video card technology/affordability for it isnt ready but you have inside knowledge? SLI is not an option right now due to the latency. The key word here is AFFORDABLE. I'm sure Nvidia and AMD have a card right now that could do 4k or more per eye in VR in DCS with all the bells and whistles at the low low price of.......20,000 dollars.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog