Rift, Vive, or wait?

Boris

I guess reading the Oculus and Vive threads have made me a bit unsure.

Torso didn't know about the 30 satisfaction from Amazon...thanks. Yes I understand about the video card. I ordered an Aurora from Dell, gtx1080, i7, 16ram 32 when they stock up. Having 3 DP, 1 HDMI, 1 DVI, with the 1080, how do you maintain all the monitors and the VR sets at the same time?

Yeah, the ability to try it, and if not for you return it, is a nice safety net to have for the unsure.

As for how I can power all at once? I have 2 vid cards in my system, not sli'd. GTX1080 has 3 Asus 24inch 144hz monitors(Dports)and then I use the HDMI for the my VR sets(I swap them out using the Vive hub, which works for the Oculus as well). Card 2 is a GTX770 I run 2 7inch mini monitors from the DVI and a projector from the HDMI I have a plug for all and even a couple left over I could use.

Vive v. Oculus really comes down to answering a single question:

- do you want roomscale?

If the only thing you want to do in VR is to sit in the cockpit of a plane/car, then Oculus. For full blown VR experience in games designed for it, Vive is better, but it's more expensive and has a few more issues in DCS.

Bingo! Pretty much the way to decide the question for anyone torn between the two. lol..why I got both. I hate being torn. And I am glad I got the Vive, my girl and friends dig the roomscale stuff. Not a cockpit monkey like me so nice to have the option to offer them cool things to try.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also bought both and after using it for about a month, I chose the Rift. You can dig up my write up if you're interested. But Vive has corrected some things I brought up (not because of me!). Like the thick cable to the HMD was very bothersome. I understand they have an option for a thinner cable.

Rift is more comfortable. The built in headphone helps a lot as well.

Just make sure you keep an eye on the return window in case you want to return it. Keep the packaging handy.

found it: Here's my review of both - but again, some things have changed. Vive's FPS is better but DCS seems to support Rift's technology first, then trickles down to Vive.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I went today to the Microsoft store where they had a special demo area set up for both Vive and Oculus Rift and did the comparison demos.

I was wondering if the amazing 3D demo affect I experienced there

while watching their demo programs would be duplicated flying DCS?

Also I now understand what is meant by diminished resolution using 3D devices but I do agree the immersion into the 3D experience should make up for it...so long as DCS performs as did the demo.

It does. And there's a little zoom function in VR UI elements tab that helps with it.

To answer the OP, your spending power decides for you. There were people that went with the DK1 and 2 and they knew something better would come out. Then the CV1 appears and people buy that, knowing, there will always be a "2" version. The only factor in waiting is how often you can buy one, its simply not a matter of continually waiting, but of when you can purchase.

Everyone's moment is their own.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I have to ask, even though considering my terrible financial condition at this time (and they don't ship to my country) there is no way Im getting one this year:

How is the Rift with glasses? Im nearsighted, can I just use it without my glasses. The physical screen is pretty close to my face but then there are also some kind lenses in it?

Is it possible to use it with my glasses off??

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

It depends on what your visual situation is. If you are near-sighted, you dont need to wear your glasses. Most glasses users that have used my vr headset did so without glasses and without issue. But two were very farsighted and had problems seeing things up close, they had a difficult time without wearing glasses but when they put them on and then adjusted the headset, all was fine.

Los

ASW - Asynchronous Spacewarp: Special Oculus Rift software technology created to lower hardware requirements for the Rift - ASW is a frame-rate smoothing technique that almost halves the CPU/GPU time required to produce nearly the same output from the same content.

IPD: Interpupillary distance (I think)

CV1 - The latest Consumer Version of the Rift

DK1 - Rift Developer Kit (the first one released)

DK2 - Rift Developer Kit 2 (the second one released)

OP - Original Post, Original Poster? Not sure.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I think it's a patience thing because the tech is exactly the same for both headsets apart form the tracking systems, and while the VIVE is marginally behind the curve now its not going to be for long and is already almost as good, and to all intents and purposes is as good already as the rift. DCS especially on 2.04 and 1.5.5 is very smooth for me now.

However the 360 roomscale tracking on the VIVE is flawless and if reddit complaints are anything to go by the rift and constellation tracking has problems.

You might think of yourself as only a cockpit gamer but if you've ever tried A chair in the room, the lab, (robot repair will leave you astounded by the potential) or other room scale experiences you will know that even more so than games like DCS the sense of presence is incredible, A chair in the room for example made me feel like I was genuinely in a horror movie! It turned my blood cold!

And remember these games are just crappy first efforts made by indie developers, when the VR train really gets moving do you really want to lock yourself into a device that has roomscale tracking problems? I guarantee in the end the VIVE will be every bit as good as the rift is for games like DCS but cant say that about the rift in relation to roomscale.

The VIVE apparently will be going wireless soon and releasing more gadgets while the rift seems to be scrambling around just to get up to speed with the VIVE and its tracking which apparently it probably never will do so as the constellation method is flawed. I mean after all this time in development they still havent got the tracking right yet still sold all the sensors knowing full (how could they not have known?) that it didnt work properly?

If you buy such an expensive headset why lock yourself into just cockpit games and even if you are adament there will surely be other people in your family who will enjoy 360 roomscale.

Might sound like a fanboy but I aint here to fanboy one monitor over another I'm just telling you why I myself went for the VIVE over the RIFT and I really do think my reasons were based only on logic.

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

ASW - Asynchronous Spacewarp: Special Oculus Rift software technology created to lower hardware requirements for the Rift - ASW is a frame-rate smoothing technique that almost halves the CPU/GPU time required to produce nearly the same output from the same content.

IPD: Interpupillary distance (I think)

CV1 - The latest Consumer Version of the Rift

DK1 - Rift Developer Kit (the first one released)

DK2 - Rift Developer Kit 2 (the second one released)

OP - Original Post, Original Poster? Not sure.

Thanks OnlyforDCS.

I think it's a patience thing because the tech is exactly the same for both headsets apart form the tracking systems, and while the VIVE is marginally behind the curve now its not going to be for long and is already almost as good, and to all intents and purposes is as good already as the rift. DCS especially on 2.04 and 1.5.5 is very smooth for me now.

However the 360 roomscale tracking on the VIVE is flawless and if reddit complaints are anything to go by the rift and constellation tracking has problems.

You might think of yourself as only a cockpit gamer but if you've ever tried A chair in the room, the lab, (robot repair will leave you astounded by the potential) or other room scale experiences you will know that even more so than games like DCS the sense of presence is incredible, A chair in the room for example made me feel like I was genuinely in a horror movie! It turned my blood cold!

And remember these games are just crappy first efforts made by indie developers, when the VR train really gets moving do you really want to lock yourself into a device that has roomscale tracking problems? I guarantee in the end the VIVE will be every bit as good as the rift is for games like DCS but cant say that about the rift in relation to roomscale.

The VIVE apparently will be going wireless soon and releasing more gadgets while the rift seems to be scrambling around just to get up to speed with the VIVE and its tracking which apparently it probably never will do so as the constellation method is flawed. I mean after all this time in development they still havent got the tracking right yet still sold all the sensors knowing full (how could they not have known?) that it didnt work properly?

If you buy such an expensive headset why lock yourself into just cockpit games and even if you are adament there will surely be other people in your family who will enjoy 360 roomscale.

Might sound like a fanboy but I aint here to fanboy one monitor over another I'm just telling you why I myself went for the VIVE over the RIFT and I really do think my reasons were based only on logic.

Oculus are working on roomscale also and it is sort of working already.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah but my guess is that it will probably be 'sort of working' from here on out.

You gotta ask yourself after all this time and development why is it that its still having problems, and patches that are intended as fixes make things even worse, when VIVE tracking worked flawlessly on day one?

There must be a problem with that method of tracking. Many people who warned that there would be tracking problems -who were dismissed as fanboys- told me when I was deciding myself that VIVE themselves discarded the constellation tracking method that Oculus is using beacause it didnt work properly for roomscale.

You gotta rememeber that Oculus never really wanted to get into roomscale and have been very coy on the subject from the start. They didnt release touch/room scale as an alpha or beta but called it 'experimental' instead which should be a pretty big red flad. I think they know and knew from day one that roomscale would have problems.

I cant say for certain and neither can anyone really but my hunch is that this generation of rift will always have problems for room scale, and if I was the OP I'd go with a VIVE unless of course he is adament that cockpit games are all he is interested in. Just my 2 cents though not like I really know what I am talking about on a technological level!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

The room scale features on the Vive also increases W/G-A and reduces SPR significantly once they try it a few times.....

(Wife/Girlfriend Approval and Spousal Purchasing Resistance)

;)

Hehe in my case I'll need to upgrade both systems, mine and hers - double the price :D

How is the Rift with glasses? Im nearsighted, can I just use it without my glasses. The physical screen is pretty close to my face but then there are also some kind lenses in it?

Is it possible to use it with my glasses off??

The image is collimated to a higher distance which means you’ll need some kind of correction. Glasses or lenses

Yeah but my guess is that it will probably be 'sort of working' from here on out.

You gotta ask yourself after all this time and development why is it that its still having problems, and patches that are intended as fixes make things even worse, when VIVE tracking worked flawlessly on day one?

There must be a problem with that method of tracking. Many people who warned that there would be tracking problems -who were dismissed as fanboys- told me when I was deciding myself that VIVE themselves discarded the constellation tracking method that Oculus is using beacause it didnt work properly for roomscale.

You gotta rememeber that Oculus never really wanted to get into roomscale and have been very coy on the subject from the start. They didnt release touch/room scale as an alpha or beta but called it 'experimental' instead which should be a pretty big red flad. I think they know and knew from day one that roomscale would have problems.

I cant say for certain and neither can anyone really but my hunch is that this generation of rift will always have problems for room scale, and if I was the OP I'd go with a VIVE unless of course he is adament that cockpit games are all he is interested in. Just my 2 cents though not like I really know what I am talking about on a technological level!

It's also very different technology. The laser vs infrared leds. I'd also agree the "room scale" is an after thought for Rift, or at the very least wasn't a priority for the CV1 launch.

I haven't used the trouch, but Vive's controller tracking is phenomenal. But the ergonomics of the controller looks to be in Rift's favor (haven't used it, just going by pictures).

But as it related to DCS, Rift's features are implemented faster/sooner than Vive. So if DCS is important, it tilts the favor to Rift.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

So not only do you need a power computer to run VR you also need to open up space to accommodate a 15x15 Vive layout, which I don't expect to have any time soon. I used Vive at a demo in a store and it was an amazing experience walking around and looking down 1000 feet. Unfortunately sitting at a computer may be all I'll be able to do because of space limitations. I did find Rift more comfortable and being lighter helped and I didn't really notice much nose gap. There wasn't any real difference in the actual 3D experience, both were exceptional 3D.

Understanding there's a trade-off between VR and quality graphics and putting the VR aside for the moment, how would you compare the monitor graphic quality v. Rift/Vive graphic quality?

Understanding there's a trade-off between VR and quality graphics and putting the VR aside for the moment, how would you compare the monitor graphic quality v. Rift/Vive graphic quality?

Monitor graphics quality in DCS is superior to the Rift (and I am guessing Vive as well, although I only have a Rift so I can't speak to the Vive side)

It's like running DCS in 1280x800 resolution and default FOV all the time (you don't normally zoom in VR - yes, I know there is a button for that). But the helmet optics cause some visual artifacts and you see the screen pixel pattern, it's like looking at everything through a thin nylon net. So the image quality is worse than on a 1280x800 monitor.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

So what's being said here is to forget about clarity, color, resolution, photographic excellence and all that we held important in the 'old' world of the 2D monitor...and think more out of that box into a totally different set of new values.

Hopefully...one day we will have those 'old' values come back to us with VR when VR starts to fine tune, but in the mean time you would be missing out not to get aboard now.

Edited by fitness88

I guess I'll repeat what most every vr user, (vive or rift) has said regularly here and on other flight sim forums. The feeling of flight in vr and the enhancement it gives to the experience outweighs any loss of graphic fidelity. Its hard to go back to regular monitor and trackIR after vr flying for any period of time.

Los

So what's being said here is to forget about clarity, color, resolution, photographic excellence and all that we held important in the 'old' world of the 2D monitor...and think more out of that box into a totally different set of new values.

Hopefully...one day we will have those 'old' values come back to us with VR when VR starts to fine tune, but in the mean time you would be missing out not to get aboard now.

Yes.

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/05/15

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

At the time I reviewed and used both sides...for about a month. Rift was noticeably clearer than Vive *in* DCS. I didn't care about other games so I never tested any. But that was what 6, 7 months?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

My two cents...

The very first time I tried the Rift with DCS, I got the Huey into the air, turned it on its side, and then plummeted back to the ground, due to having my controls set up incorrectly. That crash was one of the most amazing things I have done/seen on a PC. For a brief moment, I felt like I was about to get badly hurt.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: